Need help with side dishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
I'm getting pretty bored with the sides I cook, so I'm looking for some new and different ones. I always have NY strips, pork chops, various chicken parts on hand. Here my rotation:

Asparagus - grilled, sauteed w/ garlic, roasted w or w/o garlic

Corn - canned, grilled on the cob, boiled on the cob

Potatoes - Loaded baked, home made fries, gratin, roasted red w/rosemary, sauteed fingerling, mashed w/onions & garlic.

Sauteed mushrooms w/thyme & cognac

Cauliflower & goat cheese gratin.

Thats all I can think of. Any new ideas would be great. -J

cut brocoli spears, saute in garlic evoo and hot pepper flakes, then add chichen broth and cover for a few min. sweet tender and very tasty.

stringbeans blanched then sauteed with garlic in evoo or with bacon and dry white wine (just a small amount) ... for an asian flare add soy sauce and hot peanut sauce

swiss chard (which is very mild) or baby spinach, sauteed in garlic and broth (dash hot pepper flakes)

if you are doing any kind of roast (chicken, game hens, beef, pot roast, pork loin, whatever...toss cut up root veggies (carrots, parsnips, onion 1/4s, turnips, sweet potatoes) into the pan for the last hour...they are so good when cooked that way with the meat juices. Or just rost with garlic and evoo in a pan by themselves and maybe some thyme.

Thanks for the reply. The broccoli looks like a winner, I always would just melt some cheese over it. The roasts I make that way all the time, I also add lemon and white wine for poultry or red wine, garlic and beef stock for meats.

There is broccoli...steamed with lemon butter sauce
Also...a quick stir fry of yellow/zuchini squash/mushrooms in EVOO Course salt..
Then there are Sweet potatoes..lots of brain storming there.
New potatoes boiled in Crab boil...
Cold pasta salads...again numerous ideas
Grilled portabellas...

Knowing what part of "the south" you lived in might help!:LOL:

I make a dish similar to the famous green bean casserole but slightly different and even my vegetable hating bro-in-law eats it. We call it John Deere casserole.

1 can whole corn
1 can french style green beans
1 can cream of celery soup
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream

Mix together place in greased casserole dish
Top with 1 roll Ritz crackers crushed mixed with 1/2 cup butter(melted) and 1/2 cup slivered almonds

bake 350 degrees F for 35 mins.

Another fave is broccoli Parmesan bake

2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 can evaporated milk
1 cup parmesan cheese grated
40 oz frozen chopped broccoli
mix together place ingreased 9x13 pan
bake 350 for 30-35 mins.

How about scalloped caggage?

2 tbs butter
1 cup milk
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (I always double this since we like cheese)
1/4 cup buttered bread crumbs(I usually cube my bread make enough to cover your dish)
2 tsp salt
4 cup shredded cabbage ( about 1/2 a head or 1 bag slaw cabbage)

Heat milk and butter-add cheese and salt- add cabbage- pour into greased casserole dish- top with bread crumbs
bake 350 for 1 hour.

You might try some herbed cornbread with your porkchops.

Your solution could also be as simple as rotating in some new vegetables: squash or spinach maybe. Depending how you prepare your main dishes, various rice or bean sides might be appropriate. Simple rissottos, or polentas could work nicely too.

Hi, Jeekinz. One of the things we like with beef or pork roast, roast chicken or Cornish hens is small new potatoes. I'll usually put enough small, scrubbed new (red) potatoes for each serving on its own piece of parchment paper. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Dot with butter. The real thing. Margarine just doesn't leave me with the tastiest end product. I then put in one sprig of fresh rosemary. Seal the bags and bake the potatoes a 400 degrees F for about 25 minutes. One pound of potatoes will usually serve 4. They're really yummy and the fragrance coming from the oven is heavenly.

Green salads of all varieties make great sides, as do slaws. Something different we did lately was to peel, wash, and cut and cook sweet potatoes into french fries. They were then lightly salted and served. Everyone thought they were great. Try adding different flavorings to veggies like asparagus, or green beans. For instance, saute' your green beans in olive oil, with garlic, then Springle with Dill Weed, or Tarragon.

A hit in my house wa to seed mini-pumpkins and bake with butter, and brown sugar inside.

Three-bean salads are always a hit and can be made with any fariety of beans. And speaking of beans, backed beans, or even doctored pork and beans make a great side dish.

Rice can be cooked up and flavored with herbs, spices, oils, or meat stocks. It can be made with white, long-grain, wild, brown, or a combination of all three. Mix in some chopped, saute'd mushrooms, and diced onion, and you have something far different than plain rice.

Try various stuffings for your poultry and pork. these can include savory bread dressings, rice and vermacelli with diced onion, peppers, herbs, etc, or even fruit stuffings.

And don't forget tomatoes. cut into chunks and drizzle with vinager and oil, some freshly minced oregano and/or basil, and black pepper.

Soups make a wnderful side as well and can be creamy, brothy, or even like a stew, depending on the theme of your meal. For instance, roasted chicken, seasoned with chili powder, lime juice, cilantro, and peppers is wonderful with a cold gazpacho.

Cheese doesn't have to come in a hot, creamy sauce to sit well at the table. Try various types of cheese. Great table cheeses include high-quality cheddar, either sharp or medium, creamy and buttery havarti, a full-bodied swiss, Slices of piquant Gruyere, and the ever popular and versatile cottage cheese. And don't forget Muenster or Colby.

Fresh fruits don't have to be reserved for desert either. Serve up some mellon salad, including, but not limited to cubed watermellon, musk mellon, honeydew, casaba, and a host of others. Add to this mixture some plump raisens, maybe some pineapple chunks, starberries, and grapes. Serve this with pork or lamb.

Slaws are a great side and can be made from grated carrot, with Miracle Whip, sugar, and raisons. They can also be made with jicama, parsnip, or cabbage. I've even been known to grate up rutabegga and/or turnips into my slaws to give a bit of change.

For corn, roast it or cook it on the grill. Serve with melted butter that has had a bit of liquid smoke mixed in.

As for potatoes, well, there are as many ways to cook and serve potatoes as there are people to cook them. Do a quick Google search and you will get more ideas than you know what to do with.

Some of my favorites are potatoes mashed with evaporated milk, roasted garlic, and butter, potatoes Anna, Scalloped potatoes with grated Cheddar and ham, or with just butter and onions, cut into wedges, skin-on, tossed with olive oil, and roasted with oregano and garlic sprinkled over them. You can also great them and make them into hash-browns. Or if you have one, force the skinned and cooked potatoes through a ricer. Serve just with butter.

Take zuchini and halve. remove the center, pithy part and stuff with tomato, onion, , diced peppers, and whole-kernal corn. Drizzle with EVOO and bake until everything is soft. Serve each person their own half.

Small peppers can be stuffed with numerous things and served up as sides. You can also make savory sides with pre-made puff-pastry shells, filled with veggie/cheese mixtures, or potatoes and gravy.

Sides can be the star of the show. Try veggies you've never had before. Don't forget the grains. Use breads and starchy veggies along with the main course. And don't forget the seasonings to turn ordinary into extraordinary.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Jeekins, I suggest you go to the produce section in your grocery store and peruse the assorted vegetables. Try some things you haven't fixed before, and include different colors for both eye appeal and nutrional value.

We love oven roasted vegetables. Toss an assortment in olive oil and sprinkle with dry Italian dressing mix or a good garlic herb seasoning, spread out on cookie sheet and roast at 400 degrees until tender. Good vegies for this are: red or orange bell peppers (more vitamin C than oranges), carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, asparagus, sliced onions, leeks, cabbage wedges, whole cloves of garlic, zucchini or yellow squash, and halved Roma tomatoes.

Another simple, delicious way to prepare vegies is braising them in chicken broth. Add a bit of minced garlic and a pat of butter to a can of chicken broth in a skillet. Great vegies for this are asparagus, broccoli, leeks, baby new potatoes, green beans, carrots, cauliflower, sugar snaps or snow peas and cabbage wedges.

Last edited:
When I want to get dinner on the table quick, I use Lipton Noodles N Sauce or Rice N Sauce.

Sliced zucchini stir fried with onions & mushrooms is good.

There are a lot of good boxed mixes these days. Most of them have quite a bit of sodium, but if that's not a problem for you, don't worry about it.
Here are some I recommend:
*Zatarains...everything I've tasted is good, and they give suggestions for variations and additions on the side of the box.
*Rice-a-roni...I don't care what the gourmands say, it's delicious, and you can vary it all sorts of ways by adding vegetable, cooked meats, etc. Just don't add anything salty, like soy sauce.
*Kraft Easy Mac...Cooks in your microwave in 3 minutes or so, and tastes much better than the stove-top version. Cook 2 pkgs, add a can of drained tuna, and you've got lunch.
*Look in your freezer section...there are all sorts of easy fix sides in there. They even have vegetables that you can nuke right in the bag.

Thanks for all these wonderful ideas. This time of year, where we live, the sides can get very, very, very boring. It is easy to get stuck on stuff that is too starchy, which is **** if you live with a diabetic. As far as the starch goes, though, one thing that really works well for me are those potatoes wrapped and ready to nuke. Yes, I know they are more expensive, and if I had a few kids or other family to feed, I'd never use them. But for just me it is nice. I depend on bags of frozen veggies. My husband has gotten into wanting a salad of some sort while we watch the evening news, then we go eat dinner. This has really cut down how much he wants to eat, lost a few pounds a month over a year. And it is kinda nice to sit there while he complains about the tellivision's coverage of the news. Haha. But I do think that salads in their many and varying forms are the best sides. Winter staples are a head of iceberg and one of cabbage. I dress them differently every few days.

Jeekinz - your list is definitely lacking in one of the most important vegetable groups - dark leafy greens!!!! Try spinach, kale, &/or swiss chard sauteed in olive oil with garlic or other seasonings of choice.

You're also missing out on the "orange" family, as in carrots, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, etc. Carrots can be boiled & buttered or sugar-glazed; sweet potatoes baked & buttered; & tomatoes can be used raw in salads, sliced & sauteed in butter, or halved & broiled with a cheese or crumb topping.

Many of you have mentioned sweet potatoes. We are currently addicted to them and they are so easy & pretty! Our favorite is baked with salt & Pepper and butter - that's it. Make sure you put something under the potato as the sugar comes out and makes a mess in your oven.

This is one we all love. You can leave out the banana if you want and just replace it with more sweet potatoes as I've made it both ways.

Whipped Sweet Potatoes and Bananas with Honey

Recipes : Whipped Sweet Potatoes and Bananas with Honey : Food Network

MY ROSEMARY RED POTOTOES​
10 small Red Potatoes, cleaned
1 tsp Fresh Rosemary, chopped
1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Clove of Garlic, peeled and kept whole
1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
1/8 tsp Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees:
On low-medium heat add the EVOO to a saucepan then add the whole cloves of garlic. Heat for 2-3 minutes, careful to move the garlic around so that it doesn't burn. Remove garlic cloves.
In a mixing bowl toss the potatoes with the ingredients and transfer to a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until fork tender. I usually start checking them at 30 minutes and then adjust cooking time.
TIP: If some of the potatoes are larger than the others then cut in half. You want them to be pretty close in size to cook evenly.

I love to roast a variety of vegetables at one time and serve over pasta:

Brussels sprouts
beets
turnips
mushrooms
grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
broccoli
cauliflower
sweet red pepper
shallots

Just drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Turn at the appropriate time. When ready to serve toss with some penne pasta or your favorite, drizzle with more olive oil (or even a red chili infused olive oil) and a touch more kosher salt and pepper if needed.

Like Breezy said kale or swiss chard would be a wonderful addition.

Also, sometimes I will chunk carrots the same size as my potatoes and cook them together and mash together - has a great flavor and nice color.

par boil baby carrots in salted water, drain and let dry, then saute in olive oil with rosemary, or in butter with nutmeg

Here's one of my favorite root vegetable mixes that is super easy & goes especially well with plain roasted meats - especially chicken.

ROASTED MIXED ROOT VEGETABLES

2 thin-skinned/waxy white or red potatoes
2 turnips
2 small/medium onions
2 large/thick carrots
Handful of peeled garlic cloves, or peeled cloves from 2 heads
Extra-virgin olive oil
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Dried or fresh-chopped rosemary
Paprika

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Cut potatoes in half lengthwise & each half in thirds crosswise. Peel turnips, cut in half lengthwise & each half in thirds crosswise. Peel onions, cut in half lengthwise & each half in half.again lengthwise. Peel carrots & cut in 2” long chunks.

Place all vegetables on a rimmed baking sheet & pour approx. ½ cup of olive oil over. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, rosemary, & paprika, & using your hands, toss vegetables on baking sheet until thoroughly covered with oil & spices. Spread vegetables out on baking sheet in a single layer, or as close thereto as possible.

Roast vegetables for 15 minutes at 450, stirring occasionally, then turn heat down to 400 & continue roasting for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Test for doneness by piercing with a sharp knife, which should slide in fairly easily, but perhaps with a “little” resistance in the center.

Back
Top Bottom