Need help with Spaghetti Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jay16

Assistant Cook
The sauce tastes great but it doesnt really stick to my pasta. Any little tricks of the trade that can help with that.

Thanx ahead of time,
Jay

The sauce tastes great but it doesnt really stick to my pasta. Any little tricks of the trade that can help with that.

Thanx ahead of time,
Jay
Make sure you don't rinse your pasta after cooking. I make my pasta with either beef stew meat or a chick steak. then I use this meat to put into the food processser alomg with some of the brith ti thicken my gravy this helps it adhere to the pasta more. hope this heps you out a little,
kadesma

Thanx ahead of time,
Jay

Just some tips..
Contrary to belief, don't put oil in the pasta water, or no sauce will stick. Don't rinse pasta after draining, either. Pasta's starchy, and that starch should help any sauce to adhere. Toss the pasta in the sauce, let it absorb the sauce. It will. :)

No Italian I know adds cornstarch to their sauces, incidentally. In the case of spaghetti sauce that contains tomato passata, it's the reduction of the tomato in the olive oil under heat that will thicken it.

I agree with the others that have said not to add oil to the water and don't rinse your pasta. The ONLY time I EVER rinse pasta is when I'm making a cold pasta salad.

I know that on Lydia's show, she says to drain the pasta just shy of ready, and finish cooking in the sauce. Keep a little of the pasta water in case it looks dry.

Good luck!

I agree that the problem probably isn't with your ingredients, but with your method. Dry pasta, for all intents and purposes, is a sponge. Overcooking and using oil are two possible culprits. Perhaps you could explain how you make your spaghetti and DCers could give some tips.

Thanx ahead of time,
Jay

Jay don't rince the pasta with water. The starch on the pasta will let
the sauce stick to it.

Frank 2022

The only problem with the sauce not sticking to the pasta could be:
1) that the sauce is too watery.
2) that you do not cook your pasta properly.
From my cookbook:
The rules for cooking dry pasta:
1) Pasta must cook in abundant boiling water, at least 1 ¼ gallon of water per pound of pasta, so that it will not stick together. Always use a large pot, not over ¾ full, to avoid boiling over.
2) Pasta will be tossed in the pot only when the water has reached a hard boil. To put the pasta earlier, will only delay the boiling process and lose accuracy on the cooking time. Once you toss the pasta in, give it a good stir and bring the water back to boil as fast as you can, either by increasing the heat of the burner or by putting the lid on (watch it carefully) just for the few seconds necessary to regain the boil.
3) It is recommended to add at least two tablespoons of salt to 1 ¼ gallon of water. Just remember how much salt you added to the water, if you are planning to top the pasta with a rich sauce, you might find the final dish to be overly salted.
4) The cooking time is usually printed on the box. However, if you wish to test it, simply bite into a piece. It should be firm “Al dente”. Also as it cooks, the pasta will get larger in size and paler in color. Overcooked pasta is almost white in color and very soft.
5) It is not necessary to add any oil to the water, unless you are cooking dry egg pasta, in this case just a teaspoon of oil will do.
6) As soon as the pasta has reached the cooking time, drain immediately, shaking it well to drain as much water as possible. Excess water left in the pasta, will dilute the sauce. Only if you are doing pasta al pesto, the extra water would be beneficial as pesto sauce needs to be diluted.
7) If you are using the pasta for a cold dish, mix into the drained pasta one or two tablespoons of olive oil to avoid sticking. Let it cool. Keep it refrigerated until ready to use
8) Most pasta dishes require last minute preparation, which we are trying to avoid. However if you choose a pasta preparation for your dinner party, you can prepare the sauce ahead of time.

If its a meat sauce, the fat from the meat should help it stick to the pasta. If not a meat sauce, sometimes ill toss a little butter in there, or thicken it up by reducing it or some tomato paste. Usually does the trick.

This post is useful, I never thought about the sauce slipping off the pasta.

I add oil to my pasta, to keep the pot from foaming over. I'm obviously not using enough water.

I'm endeavoring to learn to make meat spaghetti sauce that has more than ground beef in the recipe. When I do, I'm glad I read the OP's question.

Meat sauce

Ingredients:
3 TBS olive oil
2 chopped carrots (about 7 oz)
½ chopped onion (about 4 oz)
2 stalk of celery (about 3.5 oz)
2 garlic gloves (pressed)
16 oz ground beef
8 oz ground pork or sausage meat
1 chicken liver (chopped)
1 TBS chopped parsley
cup red wine
2 cloves
24 oz chopped canned tomatoes
½ TBS salt
2 cups liquid (meat stock, vegetable stock, chicken stock, even just water)
2 tsp salt

Directions:
Prepare meat sauce by sautéing carrots, celery onion and garlic with oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add meats and parsley, cook on high heat until starting to brown. Break meat lumps with wooden spoon. Add wine and cloves. Let evaporate. Add tomatoes, salt and water. If you are using a prepared stock, check the sodium contents on the label, taste the sauce before adding salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and let simmer for one hour. (Uncovered).
Makes 3 ½ cups of sauce

The key ingredient: clove..Hope you enjoy it....

Just a comment on the salt. I learned the hard way to salt thickened dishes,like spaghetti sauce and split peas, at the very end. I was making split peas and added the salt just before the last 20 minutes when it really thickens up. They were way too salty and such a shame because the way they tasted when I salted them was especially good.

zfranca posted his "more than ground beef" spaghetti recipe.

I've printed it out. Also, I like how that recipe is elaborate but kinda simple.

I'm gearing myself up to make some.

Thanks.

Just a comment on the salt. I learned the hard way to salt thickened dishes,like spaghetti sauce and split peas, at the very end. I was making split peas and added the salt just before the last 20 minutes when it really thickens up. They were way too salty and such a shame because the way they tasted when I salted them was especially good.

My dad got senile in his old age and would add salt to his boiling potatoes.
Adding his salt to his boiling potatoes resulted in un-edible
salty potatoes. I had to write "No salt-potatoes" on the little salt shaker.

Which reminds me of a possible "wives tale" about temporarily adding peeled potatoes to a sauce that is too salty to remove the saltiness.
I hear there's no truth that this will work.

If so...it wouldn't surprise me. If adding a pinch of salt to boiling potatoes makes the salt go right in strong (the way cooking potatoes absorb salt), then...adding peeled potatoes to a too salty dish in order to reduce the saltiness is FALSE/FAIL.

heh...add some plain yogurt to thwart the saltiness.

I can see the false logic tho, by what I just described.

I'm not totally convinced that I should add the 2 tsp's of salt at the end. Salt is a key in cooking any meat. Otherwise, I end up pouring salt on the finished recipe at my table.

Last edited:
Very well said Caslon..How much salt and when to add it, determines the final outcome of the dish.
Let me know how the meat sauce turned out. I can still edit the book. Any suggestion is precious information.
P.S. I cook (unpeeled) potatoes in boiling salted water. When they cool off, I peel them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom