"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Sorry, Tom...my brain sees Liver and automatically adds Onion and bacon...and how much bacon I can get away with cooking and eating...I can eat fried liver until it comes out my ears.

exactly! me too. that's why i had to start a thread.

thank you very much hoot, chief, chuck, and cws. all good ideas. recipes are copied and saved.

if i make pate or the wilted salad, or any of the recipes where the liver is easily seen, it'll end up just being for me. but the other recipes hide the liver in a way, which i might get the family to eat.

cws, you just reminded me of my recipe for pork tenderloin with apple, onion, and butter gravy. the tenderloin is browned, smeared wuth wholegrain dijon, sprinkled with fennel seeds, and nestled into a bed of slices of sweated sweet onions and lightly fried green apples dotted with butter. the whole thing is baked for just a few minutes until the pork is cooked just medium. the pork is rested then sliced, and served with the apples and onions on a platter. some stock is added to the pan juices, and a little more butter added to make a gravy.

anywho, thanks again everyone for getting me past my mental block of bacon and onions.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:04 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Tom: Calves Liver Suggestions

Buon Giorno, Good Morning,

Firstly, I think a Calves Liver Pâtè could be quite lovely ... I have never prepared calves liver as a Terrine or pâtè, however, I think it could be quite lovely.

As you had mentioned, you prepare: Veneto ( Venezia ) style calves liver which is very common for lunch, the main meal of the day.

I had posted a lovely recipe in The Ethnic Section I believe where I spice the Flour for dredging the Calves Liver ... and of course, I prepare it as You do with caramelized onion ... and if one wishes bacon or pancetta ...

The other suggestion, is to marinate in Adobe and then Grill with caramelize onion side dish, however, serve it as a Tapa, along with crusty bread and a salsita of Smoked Paprika Cayenne similar to the salsa served with double fried Patatas Bravas ( see recipe in Ethnic I had posted ) and serve with these potatoes ... Slice the liver ( as they do in Spain ) and place the Julienne Strips of Liver on Tooth Picks, with a bit of Caramelized Onion on small plate and the Patatas Bravas on side ...

Have nice Monday,
Margi.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post

Firstly, I think a Calves Liver Pâtè could be quite lovely ... I have never prepared calves liver as a Terrine or pâtè, however, I think it could be quite lovely.

As you had mentioned, you prepare: Veneto ( Venezia ) style calves liver which is very common for lunch, the main meal of the day.

I had posted a lovely recipe in The Ethnic Section I believe where I spice the Flour for dredging the Calves Liver ... and of course, I prepare it as You do with caramelized onion ... and if one wishes bacon or pancetta ...

The other suggestion, is to marinate in Adobe and then Grill with caramelize onion side dish, however, serve it as a Tapa, along with crusty bread and a salsita of Smoked Paprika Cayenne similar to the salsa served with double fried Patatas Bravas ( see recipe in Ethnic I had posted ) and serve with these potatoes ... Slice the liver ( as they do in Spain ) and place the Julienne Strips of Liver on Tooth Picks, with a bit of Caramelized Onion on small plate and the Patatas Bravas on side ...

Have nice Monday,
Margi.
That sounds like a great way to eat calves liver. Thanks Margi.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Chief: Enjoy

Please just confirm that you have located the Double Fried Spanish Potatoes in Brava Salsa ( Ethnic or Potato Section ).

This would serve as the adobe for the calves liver ...

Thanks for compliment,
Margi.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Spanish Tapa Suggestions

1. Adobe Salsa Brava ( see posting Ethnic for Double Fried Potatoes 9

2. Al Jerez is a recipe that is served in Jerez de La Frontera, Cádiz Sherry Country:

10 strips of calves liver julienne
salt and black pepper ground freshly
a glass of sherry dry
a glass of beef stock home made
Evoo
2 onions or 4 shallots minced
2 boiling potatoes
2 cloves garlic minced
a sprinkling of grated day old baguette crumbs
parsley fresh minced
a pinch of thyme

1) Peel potatoes and boil in salted water
2) Rinse liver and pat dry
3) slice in julienne strips lengthwise and add salt and blk pepper freshly ground
4) sauté the onion, garlic in a little Evoo
5) add the thyme and a few peppercorns of rose, green, white and black
6) add the liver strips and sauté until golden however, tender
7) add the bread crumbs, wine and beef stock and simmer 10 to 15 mins.
8) serve with the boiled potatoes in a Tapa size stew bowl

Serve with crusty bread and a glass of wine of choice OR Beer.

Liver is a popular tapa in the historical Andalusian small villages and towns.

Enjoy.
Margi.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #36
Master Chef

Who would have thought that liver can be so popular! 35 posts.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

LOL! That's because mama told us it was good for us--iron! (Personally, I think it was because it was cheap, meat, and could be the meat item between pay checks--but that is the cynic in me.)
Old 08-14-2012, 02:09 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post

Firstly, I think a Calves Liver Pâtè could be quite lovely ... I have never prepared calves liver as a Terrine
Thats strange, here is your family recipe for and I use the term loosely as every terrine I have ever made or witnessed being made is cooked in a bain marie.Homemade Pork Country Terrine
Old 08-14-2012, 05:24 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Bolas: Assorted Types of Terrine Dishes

Buon Giorno, Good Morning Bolas,

I am uncertain, exactly, what you are asking me.

I have had and have made numerous types of Terrine over the years (see photo ), including Cabracho in Madrid, which is Scorpion Fish and a traditional Christmas Festive Dish in northern Spain.

From my viewpoint, it is my favoured.

Terrine need not be prepared only with Pork Products. I have seen chicken liver, veal liver and lamb liver varieties as well in Spain.

One can purchase Terrines in any El Corte Inglés Department Store Club Gourmet throughout the country.

It is more common to find French style terrines with pork, however, chicken, lamb and veal are also employed and combined with Port or Brandy, thyme, bay leaf, shallots, white wine, salt and pepper corns finely ground, egg, bacon wrapped, milk, bread crumbs, and garlic or a number of various spices.

Gravy Queen had posted her lovely Terrine at the same time I did, so you can see there are numerous takes on the historical classic French versions.

Have nice August.
Margaux Cintrano.

I had posted a terrine and combined loin of pork 400 grams diced in tiny cubes and chicken liver 150 grams. See photo.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:28 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Bolas: Photo Eva´s Terrine

This is my Mom Eva´s Terrine ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pork terrine country.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	15307