"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-14-2012, 05:42 AM   #41
Executive Chef

i just fry up some chicken livers in evoo with some shallots,garlic,dried chilli flakes,salt,black pepper,a splash of balsamico & dry white wine.chicken livers need to be cooked pink inside imo........oh boy!

Old 08-14-2012, 06:02 AM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Chicken liver pate (can't find the diacritic). Now we're talking!

Old 08-14-2012, 06:09 AM   #43
Executive Chef

Lamb Sweetbreads As Alternative

Buon Giorno, Good Morning, Tom,

Animelle in Italian, Moleja in Portuguese, Ris in French, Bries in German and Mollejas in Spanish, are Sweetbreads in English and quite a classic delicacy in Spain ... and especially in Madrid & Andalusian Tapas Bars.

They are a delicacy very similiar to lamb liver or calves liver in profile and texture ...

Calves Liver Ventian Style has always been on our at home bill of fare ... Surprised to see that others also appreciate the benefits and the taste of calves liver ...

Thanks for posting,
Margi.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #44
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Buon Giorno, Good Morning, Tom,

Animelle in Italian, Moleja in Portuguese, Ris in French, Bries in German and Mollejas in Spanish, are Sweetbreads in English and quite a classic delicacy in Spain ... and especially in Madrid & Andalusian Tapas Bars.

They are a delicacy very similiar to lamb liver or calves liver in profile and texture ...

Calves Liver Ventian Style has always been on our at home bill of fare ... Surprised to see that others also appreciate the benefits and the taste of calves liver ...

Thanks for posting,
Margi.
sweetbreads refer to a variety of glands/offal from the thyroid glands in the neck to the testicles at the other end of a variety of animals and everything in between.they are cooked in different ways from poaching in milk to coating & frying.it is too much of a generalisation/blanket statement imo to say that they have a similar profile/texture to liver as most,when cooked correctly tend to have a texture far softer than liver again imo/experience.
i am curious that you say that you are surprised that others appreciate calves liver.perhaps enjoy would be a better way to put it,"appreciate" sounds a bit condescending imo.why are you surprised?i don't know about other parts of the world but,certainly over here liver is a popular dish as in liver & bacon,often features in the "full british breakfast" fry up & calves liver is readily available in most of our supermarkets.i have been eating calves liver since i was a child
Old 08-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Buon Giorno, Good Morning Bolas,

I am uncertain, exactly, what you are asking me.

I had posted a terrine and combined loin of pork 400 grams diced in tiny cubes and chicken liver 150 grams. See photo.
OK I will spell it out, if you clic on the link in my post it will take you to you "family terrine recipe" which is a rather clumsy version of a meat loaf, it uses 400grms of pork loin and 150grms of calves liver.Then in this thread you claim you have never tried calves liver in a terrine.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #46
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
LOL! That's because mama told us it was good for us--iron! (Personally, I think it was because it was cheap, meat, and could be the meat item between pay checks--but that is the cynic in me.)
I think both are true. There is a lots of iron in liver, and people with iron deficioncy should eat it. But to rip the benefit od that iron,liver should be eaten nearly row.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #47
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I think both are true. There is a lots of iron in liver, and people with iron deficioncy should eat it. But to rip the benefit od that iron,liver should be eaten nearly row.
I agree with that statement!
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Jamie Oliver has a lovely chicken liver pate recipe. I cook chicken liver like he does--still pink in the middle.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #49
Executive Chef

Mollejas ( Lamb Sweetbreads ) & Calves Liver

In Spain, the only country, where " I have ever had Lamb Sweetbreads", as I stated in my prior post, and are considered a delicacy and are quite popular in the Pintxo Bars of Bilbao or San Sebastián, and The Tapas Bars of Andalusia and Madrid Capital.

They are dredged in flour and sautéed in Evoo with a lamb stock and wine reduction if I recall ---

We are in Italia having our apartment reformed we had them at two distinct bars, and I recall " the creamy smooth interior texture to be best described as stating they are similiar to very tender calves liver Venice Style, dredged and prepared with caramelized onions; verses the textures of a roast or lobster " ...

Liver: My Italian Grandmom used to prepare calves liver Ventian Style, where it is highly appreciated. We have it when we go up to Veneto to see our Venetian native friends or my younger daughter when she travels over for business.

Your question: rarity on menus outside of Italian restaurants or Diners on interstate highways.

Bolas: My Mom´s Swiss French recipe has 150 grams of calves liver, and so it is such a tiny amount in comparison to the Pork Lion and the chicken livers ... Calves liver is quite subtle ...

Our electrical system was just rehauled along with our wooden flooring and the whole kitch was reformed ... So when we get the tv and dvd hooked up, we shall catch up on all our dvd watching including your Terrine ...

Thank you.

M.C.

Off for a walk to Port.
Have nice August.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #50
Executive Chef

Young Pig Liver 150 grams: the week of July 2nd, my older daughter and only grand daughter were visiting me for 2 wks. in Puglia, and I could not get calves liver that day, thus, he suggested young Pig Liver ... and so, that is why my Terrine is so pink and light in color.

I can only say it is ever so subtle and lovely ... with Dijon green peppercorn mustard from Maille.

Thank you and I highly recommend this as a substitute For the Calf Liver.

M.C.