Need ideas for liver.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry, Tom...my brain sees Liver and automatically adds Onion and bacon...and how much bacon I can get away with cooking and eating...I can eat fried liver until it comes out my ears.

For real though, I live it just dredged in seasoned flour(s+p, granulated garlic, a little thyme, and paprika), a MUST(for me) Seared off in clarified butter(butter makes a WOLD of difference over veg oil), add in 2 crushed garlic cloves, de-glaze with Sherry, and over a bed of baby spinach. Let the carry over heat wilt the spinach. A side of sun-dried tomato tapenade, or even made into a vinaigrette. The earthiness of the sun-dried tomatoes plays nice with the richness, and earthiness of the liver.

Of course, you could do the same preparation as above, but gently wilt the spinach in the same pan after the liver is out, and just plate a nice portion of garlic smashed spuds.

I'm dang near swooning here TaTT :ohmy:
That sounds just deliriously deeeelicious!! :huh::yum:

mmm, sounds good cws, thanks. i make a pork tenderloin recipe very similarly. i think it could work with liver.
We used to make pork roast in a similar way in a clay cooker.

1. Soak the clay cooker per manufacturer's instructions.
2. Rub favorite mustard all over the roast.
3. Roll in flour to which S&P, garlic powder were added.
4. Brown roast in lard.
5. Put roast in cooker.
6. Add about 1 c plumped raisins, apple slices, onion.
7. Drown roast in beer (1 bottle).
8. Add apple juice or apple cider-about a cup or so.
9. Put cover on and cook at 325 until tender.
10. Make a gravy from the juices.

I have the recipe written down, but I made it almost every Sunday for 6 months, so I think I haven't forgotten anything.

Serve with boiled potatoes, red cabbage (cooked--I think TL's and Steve K.'s recipes for this are pretty close to the way we made it--we did add caraway seeds--and their recipes are posted), and a green veggie.

PS--the roasts were never over 4 lb. This was in Germany--we did not consume the same size portions of meat there that my family in the States would cook and eat.

Last edited:
I always try and buy fresh liver (they usually sell calves liver), but for those times when the store is out or I'm not in the mood to drive to the supermarket (and feel like having liver and onions), I was thinking of buying frozen calves or beef liver slices. I was just wondering if anyone has bought frozen liver. I'm not sure, but I think the frozen liver at the store is beef liver and not labeled calves liver.

What's the difference between calves liver an beef liver? Taste wise and all.

One thing I notice about fresh liver for sale is, it's not as neatly cut...it's kind of all over the place shape wise. The frozen liver however looks all neat and tidy formed. Is that because it's beef liver and not calves liver?

Last edited:
Chief, I'm going to have to give your liver pate a try. Sounds like much less work than mine.

TL, the beauty of my method is that you can make it, and adjust everything as you go. If you want it smoother, creamier, add more fat, and process longer. If you want the flavor more rich, add a bit of chicken stock, or more thyme. Just remember the cardinal rule of cooking, if it needs more of something, you can add more. But once it's in the dish, you can't take it out. So go slowly, and allow time for the flavors to meld.

This pate' is easier to make while everything is still warm. When you chill it, it firms up.

A couple we have New Years Eve dinner with every year, brought some store-bought pate' in cans. There were two different liver varieties. We tried both of them with crackers. They were horrible. We ended up throwing them away after a couple bites. Fortunately, I had made some up with chicken livers. The wife of the couple was astounded that I could make pate', from scratch. It's not hard to do. Think of liverwurst, and the flavors you taste when you eat it. Go from there. Just make it creamier in texture.:chef:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I always try and buy fresh liver (they usually sell calves liver), but for those times when the store is out or I'm not in the mood to drive to the supermarket (and feel like having liver and onions), I was thinking of buying frozen calves or beef liver slices. I was just wondering if anyone has bought frozen liver. I'm not sure, but I think the frozen liver at the store is beef liver and not labeled calves liver.

What's the difference between calves liver an beef liver? Taste wise and all.

One thing I notice about fresh liver for sale is, it's not as neatly cut...it's kind of all over the place shape wise. The frozen liver however looks all neat and tidy formed. Is that because it's beef liver and not calves liver?
The frozen liver is neatly cut because they cut it frozen. Liver wiggles all over the place when you try to cut it if it isn't frozen.

I bought frozen beef liver once. It was awful. In fact, it was so bad the dog wouldn't eat it.

That bad, huh? OK. Thanks. The frozen liver in the package looked awfully dark too. Not dark burgandy colored like fresh is, but almost grayish black.

Last edited:
TL, the beauty of my method is that you can make it, and adjust everything as you go. If you want it smoother, creamier, add more fat, and process longer. If you want the flavor more rich, add a bit of chicken stock, or more thyme. Just remember the cardinal rule of cooking, if it needs more of something, you can add more. But once it's in the dish, you can't take it out. So go slowly, and allow time for the flavors to meld.

This pate' is easier to make while everything is still warm. When you chill it, it firms up.

A couple we have New Years Eve dinner with every year, brought some store-bought pate' in cans. There were two different liver varieties. We tried both of them with crackers. They were horrible. We ended up throwing them away after a couple bites. Fortunately, I had made some up with chicken livers. The wife of the couple was astounded that I could make pate', from scratch. It's not hard to do. Think of liverwurst, and the flavors you taste when you eat it. Go from there. Just make it creamier in texture.:chef:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I have actually done that with chicken liver. I never thought of doing it with other liver. Thanks for the tip about doing it while stuff is still warm.

Sorry, Tom...my brain sees Liver and automatically adds Onion and bacon...and how much bacon I can get away with cooking and eating...I can eat fried liver until it comes out my ears.

exactly! me too. that's why i had to start a thread.

thank you very much hoot, chief, chuck, and cws. all good ideas. recipes are copied and saved.

if i make pate or the wilted salad, or any of the recipes where the liver is easily seen, it'll end up just being for me. but the other recipes hide the liver in a way, which i might get the family to eat.

cws, you just reminded me of my recipe for pork tenderloin with apple, onion, and butter gravy. the tenderloin is browned, smeared wuth wholegrain dijon, sprinkled with fennel seeds, and nestled into a bed of slices of sweated sweet onions and lightly fried green apples dotted with butter. the whole thing is baked for just a few minutes until the pork is cooked just medium. the pork is rested then sliced, and served with the apples and onions on a platter. some stock is added to the pan juices, and a little more butter added to make a gravy.

anywho, thanks again everyone for getting me past my mental block of bacon and onions.

Tom: Calves Liver Suggestions

Buon Giorno, Good Morning,

Firstly, I think a Calves Liver Pâtè could be quite lovely ... I have never prepared calves liver as a Terrine or pâtè, however, I think it could be quite lovely.

As you had mentioned, you prepare: Veneto ( Venezia ) style calves liver which is very common for lunch, the main meal of the day.

I had posted a lovely recipe in The Ethnic Section I believe where I spice the Flour for dredging the Calves Liver ... and of course, I prepare it as You do with caramelized onion ... and if one wishes bacon or pancetta ...

The other suggestion, is to marinate in Adobe and then Grill with caramelize onion side dish, however, serve it as a Tapa, along with crusty bread and a salsita of Smoked Paprika Cayenne similar to the salsa served with double fried Patatas Bravas ( see recipe in Ethnic I had posted ) and serve with these potatoes ... Slice the liver ( as they do in Spain ) and place the Julienne Strips of Liver on Tooth Picks, with a bit of Caramelized Onion on small plate and the Patatas Bravas on side ...

Have nice Monday,
Margi.

Buon Giorno, Good Morning,

Firstly, I think a Calves Liver Pâtè could be quite lovely ... I have never prepared calves liver as a Terrine or pâtè, however, I think it could be quite lovely.

As you had mentioned, you prepare: Veneto ( Venezia ) style calves liver which is very common for lunch, the main meal of the day.

I had posted a lovely recipe in The Ethnic Section I believe where I spice the Flour for dredging the Calves Liver ... and of course, I prepare it as You do with caramelized onion ... and if one wishes bacon or pancetta ...

The other suggestion, is to marinate in Adobe and then Grill with caramelize onion side dish, however, serve it as a Tapa, along with crusty bread and a salsita of Smoked Paprika Cayenne similar to the salsa served with double fried Patatas Bravas ( see recipe in Ethnic I had posted ) and serve with these potatoes ... Slice the liver ( as they do in Spain ) and place the Julienne Strips of Liver on Tooth Picks, with a bit of Caramelized Onion on small plate and the Patatas Bravas on side ...

Have nice Monday,
Margi.

That sounds like a great way to eat calves liver. Thanks Margi.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief: Enjoy

Please just confirm that you have located the Double Fried Spanish Potatoes in Brava Salsa ( Ethnic or Potato Section ).

This would serve as the adobe for the calves liver ...

Thanks for compliment,
Margi.

Spanish Tapa Suggestions

1. Adobe Salsa Brava ( see posting Ethnic for Double Fried Potatoes 9

2. Al Jerez is a recipe that is served in Jerez de La Frontera, Cádiz Sherry Country:

10 strips of calves liver julienne
salt and black pepper ground freshly
a glass of sherry dry
a glass of beef stock home made
Evoo
2 onions or 4 shallots minced
2 boiling potatoes
2 cloves garlic minced
a sprinkling of grated day old baguette crumbs
parsley fresh minced
a pinch of thyme

1) Peel potatoes and boil in salted water
2) Rinse liver and pat dry
3) slice in julienne strips lengthwise and add salt and blk pepper freshly ground
4) sauté the onion, garlic in a little Evoo
5) add the thyme and a few peppercorns of rose, green, white and black
6) add the liver strips and sauté until golden however, tender
7) add the bread crumbs, wine and beef stock and simmer 10 to 15 mins.
8) serve with the boiled potatoes in a Tapa size stew bowl

Serve with crusty bread and a glass of wine of choice OR Beer.

Liver is a popular tapa in the historical Andalusian small villages and towns.

Enjoy.
Margi.

LOL! That's because mama told us it was good for us--iron! (Personally, I think it was because it was cheap, meat, and could be the meat item between pay checks--but that is the cynic in me.)

Bolas: Assorted Types of Terrine Dishes

Buon Giorno, Good Morning Bolas,

I am uncertain, exactly, what you are asking me.

I have had and have made numerous types of Terrine over the years (see photo ), including Cabracho in Madrid, which is Scorpion Fish and a traditional Christmas Festive Dish in northern Spain.

From my viewpoint, it is my favoured.

Terrine need not be prepared only with Pork Products. I have seen chicken liver, veal liver and lamb liver varieties as well in Spain.

One can purchase Terrines in any El Corte Inglés Department Store Club Gourmet throughout the country.

It is more common to find French style terrines with pork, however, chicken, lamb and veal are also employed and combined with Port or Brandy, thyme, bay leaf, shallots, white wine, salt and pepper corns finely ground, egg, bacon wrapped, milk, bread crumbs, and garlic or a number of various spices.

Gravy Queen had posted her lovely Terrine at the same time I did, so you can see there are numerous takes on the historical classic French versions.

Have nice August.
Margaux Cintrano.

I had posted a terrine and combined loin of pork 400 grams diced in tiny cubes and chicken liver 150 grams. See photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bolas: Photo Eva´s Terrine

This is my Mom Eva´s Terrine ...

Attachments

• pork terrine country.jpg
    pork terrine country.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 240
Back
Top Bottom