Need ideas for liver.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i needed some space in the freezer for some lamb that i'm saving to make into stew for my parents, so i defrosted a package of 3 nice calves' (or is it calf's) liver steaks, about 3/8th of an inch thick each.

besides the usual pan fried with onions and bacon, what can i make with them?

i can google recipes well enough, so i'm looking for tnt recipes that i can ask questions about if needed.

tia. :chef:

I prefer the traditions preparation, with fava beans, and a nice chianti.

phftftftftftft
tumblr_llfilwaOkc1qjqpwso1_500.gif

Last edited:
oh man, that sounds good. thanks.

do kids like chianti? :cool:

i'm kidding. thanks for the great idea, rock, and creeping me out, tatt. :)

For real though, I live it just dredged in seasoned flour(s+p, granulated garlic, a little thyme, and paprika), a MUST(for me) Seared off in clarified butter(butter makes a WOLD of difference over veg oil), add in 2 crushed garlic cloves, de-glaze with Sherry, and over a bed of baby spinach. Let the carry over heat wilt the spinach. A side of sun-dried tomato tapenade, or even made into a vinaigrette. The earthiness of the sun-dried tomatoes plays nice with the richness, and earthiness of the liver.

Of course, you could do the same preparation as above, but gently wilt the spinach in the same pan after the liver is out, and just plate a nice portion of garlic smashed spuds.

wow after that, i'm losing control.

me want liver NOW!

lol, thanks again, rock and tatt. two of the best chef's i've ever had the pleasure from which to learn.

from.

damn, that last adposition always seems to sneak in. and i'm not even cambridge educated.

When I lived in Germany, we used to do this:
1. Dredge the liver in flour to which you have added S&P Meanwhile, plump some raisins and core and slice 1 apple..
2. Toss into a hot pan to which you've added fat (butter, oil, whatever). Add 1 sliced onion.
3. Cook about 10 minutes.
4. Drown with a bottle of beer (poured on the liver, not down your throat), add the raisins and apples. Simmer 5-7 minutes.

Last edited:
recipe please, taxy?

it's not a lot of liver, but i guess it could be a small pate.

where you don't put your hands in the air, hmm, because you gtruely do care. no screaming either please, nor raising burnt roofs... :innocent:

but seriously, a good, tnt pate recipe would be nice. :chef:

Last edited:
mmm, sounds good cws, thanks. i make a pork tenderloin recipe very similarly. i think it could work with liver.

I have only made this pate with pork liver, but it is supposed to be particularly "fine" with calf liver.

Danish liver pate (leverpostej)

1/2 kg pork liver
1/2 kg pork fat or bacon
3 anchovies
3 onions

Put the above through the meat grinder three times.
Stir well with:

1 Tblsp flour
1 tsp ground, black pepper
2 tsps salt
2 whole eggs
a pinch of nutmeg
~3-3.5 cups of milk (It should make a thick batter. You should be able to pour it, but it should be thick enough that you need a rubber spatula.)

Bake in greased loaf pans, in a water bath in a "not too hot" oven for an hour. I seem to remember doing this at about 275 F.

To check if it's done, poke it with a skewer and see that the juices are clear.

Last edited:
thanks so much, taxy. those are certainly ingredients that i can taste in my mind.

copied and saved.

thanks so much, taxy. those are certainly ingredients that i can taste in my mind.

copied and saved.
I'm looking at that recipe and that looks like an awful lot of fat. I checked some Danish recipes on line and they are using a ration of 2 parts liver to 1 part fat. I may have done that and not written it down. I'm pretty sure I only ground stuff twice. It gets pretty messy and it doesn't smell nice while it's baking, actually it stinks while it's baking, but it smells and tastes good when it's done.

Did you copy and paste before I edited it?

You could grill it...mebbe skewered, wrapped in bacon...hot fire
(I ain't sure I should say this...) I have eaten various types of liver raw. It goes back to an old hunting tradition. I have not eaten cow or pig liver raw, but deer and buffalo (Bison) is quite mild.

Come to think on it....I ain't made chopped liver in awhile. I like chopped liver sandwiches.
I know it's a different kind of liver...things click in my brain in a weird fashion sometimes.

Last edited:
First, said liver must be tested to see if it is any good. Sling a piece at the ceiling. If it sticks there for 5 minutes, your good to go! The wall will also work, but not as well as the ceiling.

Panko breaded liver sounds amazing. You may get away with adding a bit of shredded coconut to that panko mix.

Liver Pate:
Cook the liver until it is just barely done. Remove any gristle. Chop and put into a food processor with two tbs. clean bacon fat, or butter, 1/8 tsp. onion powder, 1/8 tsp. garlic powder, 1/4 tsp. fresh thyme, and a touch of sugar. Add 1/8 tsp. ground white pepper, and a couple dashes of mustard powder. Add a bit of salt. Process until smooth. Taste, and feel the texture in your mouth. Adjust as required.

Liver and Rice
1 cup rice (whatever your favorite rice is)
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups water
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. coarse black pepper
3 tbs. butter
fresh spinach

Melt the butter in a saucepan, and add the rice and salt. Stir the rice over medium heat until it turns opaque. Add the garlic, onion, thyme and pepper. Stir in completely. Add the water. Bring to a boil, turn down to simmer, cover, and set timer for 25 minutes.

Heat a heavy pan over medium heat. Add a little bacon grease to the pan and let it melt completely. While the grease is melting, dice the liver into small cubes. Add it to the pan and stir fry until just cooked. Remove from the heat and set aside.

After the rice has been cooking for fifteen minutes , add 2 cups of water to another pot. Bring the water to a boil and insert a steamer pan into the pot. Add the washed spinach and cook for seven minutes.

When the rice is done, add the liver to it and fold it all together. Serve with the steamed spinach, Butter, and a refreshing beverage of your choice.

Asparagus might be better with the rice and liver than the spinach. Your choice.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom