"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #21
Head Chef

well my mom picked an italian style pork roast which is really just a pork roast with italian herbs. I was planning on having risotto before that day and was going to use the left over risotto for showing off the risotto balls to my mom "lol". Than I realized that pork roast usually is made with gravy and the men around here like gravy with meat and potatoes. Than I couldn't figure out what kind of balls to serve that would go with gravy "won't they get soggy?" and came up with the italian style potatoe wedges.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:03 PM   #22
Sous Chef

potato wedges are good with pork roast... a favorite dinner at home... go with em and by all means if you are making the risotto anyway make the balls... they are tasty and a good use for leftover risotto... just make the balls dip em in egg bread em and fry em up til crispy. Stuffing with cheese always a good idea

Old 01-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
potato wedges are good with pork roast... a favorite dinner at home... go with em and by all means if you are making the risotto anyway make the balls... they are tasty and a good use for leftover risotto... just make the balls dip em in egg bread em and fry em up til crispy. Stuffing with cheese always a good idea
Arancini (little oranges) are traditionally made with leftover cold risotto. They are stuffed with mozzarella cheese that melts in your mouth as you bite into the arancino. OH MY GOSH! And Risotto Milanese is perfect for this. I make mine this way and they do take some time and some work.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:29 PM   #24
Head Chef

If the risotto balls get gravy on them (if I serve it next to the pork) - or if they decide to pour gravy on it, than will it ruin the risotto balls?
Old 01-10-2009, 07:58 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018 View Post
If the risotto balls get gravy on them (if I serve it next to the pork) - or if they decide to pour gravy on it, than will it ruin the risotto balls?
I'n not sure if "ruin" is the right word, but it will change the taste considerably. Are you stuffing the risotto balls? Are you breading and frying them and are you using just plain risotto?
Old 01-10-2009, 08:53 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
I'n not sure if "ruin" is the right word, but it will change the taste considerably. Are you stuffing the risotto balls? Are you breading and frying them and are you using just plain risotto?
probably the risotto milanese, I was going to do the risotto in the pasta sauce....but now not sure yet. Oh definetely breading and frying them. The risotto will be made the day before.
Mary
Mary
Old 01-10-2009, 09:04 PM   #27
Head Chef

also if I make the egg drop soup, should be fine if I make it the day before and than put it in the crockpot on warm about an hour before serving?
Old 01-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #28
Head Chef

Don't put the egg in then refrigerate it and rewarm. Leave the egg for the last or it will coagulate.
Have you ever made arancini before? You know that the rice should be cold so it can be made into balls without falling apart. Fresh risotto is very creamy and won't ball up. These are perfect for making the day before. Fry just before serving.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:29 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

dont forget zepoli for dessert
Old 01-11-2009, 07:58 AM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by azfred View Post
dont forget zepoli for dessert
Can they be made ahead of time?