"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
I'n not sure if "ruin" is the right word, but it will change the taste considerably. Are you stuffing the risotto balls? Are you breading and frying them and are you using just plain risotto?
If you were traveling to a friends house and wanted to make risotto balls, could you form the balls and bread them...basically doing everything before the frying and than fry them at there house?

Old 01-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018 View Post
If you were traveling to a friends house and wanted to make risotto balls, could you form the balls and bread them...basically doing everything before the frying and than fry them at there house?
Yes, you can. I'm a 'do ahead" person and I often make these in the morning then refrigerate till dinnertime. They hold their shape better after resting in the fridge.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Yes, you can. I'm a 'do ahead" person and I often make these in the morning then refrigerate till dinnertime. They hold their shape better after resting in the fridge.
Great, that is good to know. Anything ahead of time is good news to me.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:39 AM   #34
Head Chef

final menu

ok, not sure if anyone is following along but I did some research last night (got to love the internet) and I decided on this. First let me explain that usually we'll have a bunch of appetizers like dips and chips and assortment of olives and cheeses, pepporonis ect.

So instead of doing that, I'm having a small assortment of hot appetizers when they first arrive. I'm usually skeptical of hot - because they cool down fast and sometimes people don't walk in the door and immediately start eating. Anyways:

Assortment of hot appetizers will be a bagna cauda dip with raw veggies for dipping, risotto balls and little stuffed mushrooms stuffed with italian sausage. I won't make a lot of each.

Dinner will be Arrosto di Maiale alle Erbe (Pork Roast with Herbs), Italian Potatoe Wedges and Carotine al Burro (buttered sauteed baby carrots).

Still decided on desert.

On Friday I'll be making the Risotto. The day before the party (party is Sunday)...I'll be making the stuffed mushrooms but not broiling them and the dip. Saturday morning I'm making the risotto balls (but not frying them) and I'm going to season the pork loin.

Than the rest will be done as it gets closer to when they are coming.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:50 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Sounds like a well organized plan. Good luck!
Old 01-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #36
Head Chef

If I were you I'd stop right there. This plan sounds perfect and I can't imagine how you could improve on it. Go for this one and enjoy the rest of the week relaxed, knowing that you've got a winning menu.

As for dessert, if you really want an Italian dessert, do what they do. Put out an assortment of cheeses, fruits and nuts. OR just serve coffee and an assortment of Italian or light cookies from a good bakery. After that dinner I doubt anyone will want anything "involved" or heavy. Good luck. I hope you take pictures or at least tell us all how everything turned out.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
If I were you I'd stop right there. This plan sounds perfect and I can't imagine how you could improve on it. Go for this one and enjoy the rest of the week relaxed, knowing that you've got a winning menu.

As for dessert, if you really want an Italian dessert, do what they do. Put out an assortment of cheeses, fruits and nuts. OR just serve coffee and an assortment of Italian or light cookies from a good bakery. After that dinner I doubt anyone will want anything "involved" or heavy. Good luck. I hope you take pictures or at least tell us all how everything turned out.
Thanks. Yes I like this final meal plan. I'm going to try to make the risotto MINI as I can get as far as the balls.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:53 PM   #38
Head Chef

I like the assortment of italian cookies. The only thing I have to think about is the birthday as we usually have a cake and blow out candles. I got so much work todo...I'm not sure if I even want to make anything now. hmmmmm
Old 01-12-2009, 01:54 PM   #39
Head Chef

Then the birthday cake IS your dessert. I doubt many people will want dessert AND birthday cake. After your terrific dinner that may be just a little too much. I would just serve it a little later.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #40
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018 View Post
Thanks. Yes I like this final meal plan. I'm going to try to make the risotto MINI as I can get as far as the balls.
My experience with things like Arancini, is if you are making them for the first time, as you are starting, make a few that are "not-so-small." The teensy ones are a bit more difficult, because you are stuffing them, and there has to be something inside, and then the rice around it. So practice a bit, and don't be disappointed if you can't get them to be as small as you'd like. The best ones, imho, are not too tiny.

Buon Appetito!