"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-19-2015, 06:56 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Post Need recipe for Omelet

I would like to know what I am doing wrong in making a Omelet. How hot should you have your burner?
How do you make your omelets?
I like to put peppers, onions, carrots, cheese and sometimes tomatoes in them.

My wife likes these and she can eat them ok.

I am not sure if I have the heat right, I make them on medium heat.

Any good recipes on Omelets?

Old 02-19-2015, 07:07 PM   #2
Master Chef

What's bad about your omelets?

Tell us that and exactly how you are making them.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:09 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

There are different kinds of omelets. Do you make yours with the beaten eggs in a thin layer in the pan then add ingredients such as cheese, veggies or meats, and fold the egg over?

If so, use a fairly low heat. You don't want the eggs to brown. When the eggs are mostly set, add the filling, heat briefly then fold the omelet into the pan.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:36 PM   #4
Master Chef

Take a few minutes to watch this video.

His basic mixture and approach to using what you have on hand is about the way it happens in my kitchen.

Classic Omelet Recipe (French way)
Old 02-19-2015, 07:42 PM   #5
Master Chef

Like Andy says, the key to a nice, fluffy, tender omelet is gentle heat. And you'll want to use your Teflon non stick skillet.

When I made them for my mother who had trouble chewing in her later years, I put the chopped veggies in the skillet in a little butter and cooked them a bit, then added the beaten eggs. As the eggs cook, use your rubber spatula and gently push the cooked part to the middle and swirl the pan so the non cooked eggs move around.

When the eggs are nearly cooked but still loose and shiny, add your cheese to half of the mixture, fold it in half, and plate it. The residual heat will cook the omelet the rest of the way.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:51 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
I would like to know what I am doing wrong in making a Omelet. How hot should you have your burner?
How do you make your omelets?
I like to put peppers, onions, carrots, cheese and sometimes tomatoes in them.

My wife likes these and she can eat them ok.

I am not sure if I have the heat right, I make them on medium heat.

Any good recipes on Omelets?
I once read an account of how a chef was taught t make an omelette (the French type), The omelette was cooked on a back burner with the burner in front on full (on a gas hob) the omelette had to be cooked before the front burner had chance to burn the chef's wrist - ouch!

I seem to remember that your wife is not well (can't remember what her illness is). It is unwise to serve softly cooked eggs (eg French omelettes, scrambled eggs or soft boiled eggs) to anyone whose immune system is in any way compromised by age or illness, due to the possibility of the eggs being contaminated with food poisoning organisms.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:54 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Take a few minutes to watch this video.

His basic mixture and approach to using what you have on hand is about the way it happens in my kitchen.

Classic Omelet Recipe (French way)
Just watched the link to the video, Aunt Bea. That's a good one, but not sure I'd use that high of heat, just because I don't like them browned. :-)
Old 02-19-2015, 08:52 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

I chop the peppers, onions, carrots, cheese and sometimes tomatoes in a food prosecutor and than I will ether put 2 or 3 beaten eggs in a bowl with the ingredients with salt and pepper to taste and pour it into my cast iron skillet which is a 12 inch skillet.

For one thing I know I keep moving it around once the bottom is set. I try to flip it without any luck. But it comes every tasty.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:06 PM   #9
Master Chef

Cast iron is not best pan for an omelette. Especially 12 inch one. It is a monstrosity. Carrots in omelette are also not the best ingredient. The will take too long to cook. Then your veggies, you chop them in what? Just chop them by hand. Preheat pan to medium high. Put a tea spoon of oil or butter. Drop your veggie , let them cook. Have your eggs ready and add as soon as veggies are to your liking. Let it seat for a minute, add cheese, depending on time if cheese and how cold or warm it is you need to add it either latter or earlier. Then push edges of egg in, all around. Let uncooked egg drain and let it set. Use spatula to fold one third over. Pick up the pan from the fire and Then slowly let it slide onto the plate folding the inlet on itself, creating twofold. Done.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 02-19-2015, 09:15 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

You chop them in what? Food prosecutor
I will try this and look forward in seeing the out come.

Tags
omelet, recipe