Need recipes with Lemon Balm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
My lemon balm is growing like crazy right now, so I'm hoping someone might have some TNT recipes using it.
(Please no seafood though!)

Usually, I just either freeze it inside ice cubes for a pretty addition to lemonade or iced tea, or I just add it to marinades,
but I really need some new ideas.

I thought I posted this here, but I guess not.

This is really nice ... not too lemony. It freezes well too. You can omit the lemon thyme and double up on the lemon balm.

Lemon Herb Tea Bread

3/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon chopped fresh lemon balm
1 tablespoon chopped fresh lemon thyme
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
Lemon Glaze

COMBINE first 3 ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 15 minutes until cool.

BEAT butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.

COMBINE flour and next 2 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix at low speed after each addition until blended. Stir in lemon rind. Pour batter into a greased and sugared (or floured) 9-x5-x3-inch loafpan.

BAKE at 325 degrees for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely. Drizzle Lemon Glaze over bread.

LEMON GLAZE: Combine 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon lemon juice in a small bowl; stir until smooth.

NOTE: I prefer to make this recipe using 3 mini loaf pans. I bake them for 48-50 minutes. You can also substitute all lemon balm for the lemon thyme.

23715386.jpg

I've seen people make tea from lemon balm. Just seep it in some boiling water.
Yummers!

I wonder if I could use it to "muddle" with some lime juice for a base for a good citrus spritzer? I bet it would be good....!

I've often used it to rub round the bowl when making a salad or serving strawberries - just gives a background flavour.

When I'm entertaining in the summer, I often make an ice bowl, decorating the ice with lemon balm and nasturtium flowers.

To make the ice bowl I take two bowls, one just a little smaller than the other and stack them. Fill the space with water, leaving about a quarter inch of space for the ice to expand. Carefully place edible leaves and flowers, eg mint, lemon balm, lavender into the water. I use a slim cake spike to 'place' them evenly thoughout the water. I then tape the two bowls together, so that they don't move during the move to the freezer. Put the whole contraption into the freezer until set. When ready to use, just sit the bigger bowl in a bath of hot water (also a little hot water inside the smaller bowl - until they can be prised apart.... I serve fruits in the bowl - but keep your eyes on it, it melts....... :mrgreen:

I've seen photos of those -- they're so beautiful!
I also like the one you do in a canister (like one that oats come in) lined with foil, then you put your wine bottle in and add the flowers. When you tear off the canister, your wine bottle stays chilled for a very long time and has a pretty presentation.

That's a good idea, too, jKath.... Might try that when I'm next serving white wines outdoors!

Back
Top Bottom