Need some easy reheat ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
A friend of mine just had a baby last Saturday. She was 6 weeks early. The mom is being discharged from the hospital tomorrow but the babe will have to remain at the hospital for at least 2 more weeks.

I'm looking to put together some food for her and her husband. They will probably only be going home to eat and shower. I need some ideas of food I can make that would be well liked (by both mom and dad) and will be easy for them to just reheat in the microwave.

I have some frozen corn chowder that I will pull out. I was thinking of a lasagna or something along those lines too. What else would be good for them that would keep well for a couple days.

Thanks! :)

Omigosh, not a fan of meat loaf? Wow, I have a separate section in my recipe file JUST for meat loaf.

One or our favorites is mixing the meat mixture with corn chips instead of whatever binder (oatmeal, bread crumbs, etc.), adding some drained green chiles and then topping the meat loaf with salsa. Kind of a Tex-Mex version.

We enjoy many more variations, but you get the idea.

How about baked ziti, or eggplant or chicken parm, a turkey or chicken pie, or just a baked turkey?

Any kind of casserole will work.

A pot of beans with kielbasa or franks.

Just something hearty. Good luck.

Potato and ham au graten or scalloped..a pot of pintos and bacon, my dad made a mean pot of pintos with salad and some french bread...Italian sauges, peppers and potato wedges easy to reheat...Even the fixings for a big antipasto salad and Italian bread.Anice minestrone and bread or rolls would be great.

kadesma

Wow - where do you want to begin? Think - leftovers!

Soups, stews, casseroles, braises - just about anything except something fried where a crispy crust would be a factor.

When I make a pot roast I get two different meals out of it ... the pot roast the first day, then I cut the meat up, cut the vegetables a little smaller, add a little roux to the braising liquid that is left (add a little more beef stock if necessary) and make a beef stew out of it. Skip the roux, add some mixed vegetables and make a beef and vegetable soup - some egg noodles are a nice touch if you're in the mood.

Stews can go a bunch of directions ... chicken and dumplings, shrimp creole, shrimp and okra gumbo, a chicken stew like Brunswick stew, sausage and/or chicken gumbo, crawfish or shrimp etouffee, etc.

All kinds of pasta dishes (stuffed shells or manacotti with 3 cheeses and spinach and baked with a meat/sausage sauce is always good), split peas with smoked ham hocks and cornbread (heck, you could make it with lentils and smoked turkey wings), stuffed bell peppers baked with a tomato sauce (or replace the stuffed peppers with cabbage rolls).

How about a pan of enchiladas - beef or cheese with a beef chili sauce, or chicken with a verde chili sauce?

Quiche is nice - a frittata would also work nicely.

I can think of a bunch more!

But - what did you have in mind?

Pastas zap up really well, freeze really well and are often better for the reheat.

Shepherd's or Cottage Pie.

Vegetable or fish and vegetable filo pie (use just about any veges you like with a light white sauce) or spinach and ricotta filo roll.

Pizza

A chunky meat and veg (puff pastry) pie.

Big bow of potato and egg salad so they can serve it with some cold meats for a quick meal.

Unless you are going to make rice fresh, steer clear of rice dishes as it is a good thing to make you sick if you leave it too long.

And everything else people have mentioned.

corazon, make sure to ask if the mom is breastfeeding - if so, no gassy foods(!)

Often times, I'll find that my chicken pie is a good thing for couples in need of a meal. I make it, up until the "bake" part, then pop it into their fridge with a note that says "Bake @ 350 for about 45 minutes, till golden".

I also like to bring along little baggies, each with different veggies, cheeses and fruits cut up inside. It makes for healthy snacking, and there's no plates to return.

Omigosh, not a fan of meat loaf? Wow, I have a separate section in my recipe file JUST for meat loaf.

One or our favorites is mixing the meat mixture with corn chips instead of whatever binder (oatmeal, bread crumbs, etc.), adding some drained green chiles and then topping the meat loaf with salsa. Kind of a Tex-Mex version.

We enjoy many more variations, but you get the idea.

Katie your meatloaf sparked my interest, would you please share the recipe ? Thanks, Barb L.

Unless you are going to make rice fresh, steer clear of rice dishes as it is a good thing to make you sick if you leave it too long.

Hm, I've never heard that before. I was thinking a broccoli-chicken-rice casserole would be another good option (unless, as mentioned, the mother is breast-feeding - broccoli is a member of the cabbage family).

I also like to bring along little baggies, each with different veggies, cheeses and fruits cut up inside. It makes for healthy snacking, and there's no plates to return.

Can I add to this that when I was in the hospital with my kids, smaller food was a great option. Often I didn't want anything too heavy; fresh muffins, raw veggies, bagels cut in half, fruit, awesome.

Breast feeding will make a difference in the mother's dietary needs. As for the gassy foods - there is a split opinion.

The WebMD site says:

"... Build these into your daily diet:
Vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers, squash, and beans
Fruits such as apples, berries, plums, oranges, peaches, and melons ..."

The BabyCenter website says:

"... Mothers report that babies most often object to chocolate; spices (cinnamon, garlic, curry, chili pepper); citrus fruits and their juices, like oranges, lemons, limes, and grapefruit; strawberries; kiwifruit; pineapple; the gassy veggies (onion, cabbage, garlic, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumbers, and peppers); and fruits with a laxative effect, such as cherries and prunes ..."

Take your pick on what to read ... Breastfeeding Diet - Foods to avoid while breastfeeding

Bilby said:

And the key words are "if you leave it too long" in the food danger zone - 40º-140ºF. Yes, rice does need to be treated with respect - like deviled eggs or mayonnaise. But, cooked, cooled, portioned and refrigerated within an hour should not be a problem from everything I have read.

Don't forget the sweets ... mom's need treats! A favorite neighbor always delivers the best soft molasses cookies you can imagine for such events. :)

Lots of great ideas so far, but how about something light? Something as simple as bagged salad can be very nice to have on hand for a lite meal, to throw on sandwiches or burgers, etc. And don't underestimate the novelty of a good fruit basket, old fashioned as it sounds.

Hm, I've never heard that before. I was thinking a broccoli-chicken-rice casserole would be another good option (unless, as mentioned, the mother is breast-feeding - broccoli is a member of the cabbage family).
Heard it a few times on Australian cooking shows. Not sure as to why. I know one show did say why but I don't tend to retain those bits just the "don't" bit!! Ever since though, I have always tried to eat rice within a day or two (at the most) of cooking, even more so if bought. I chuck it out after that. I know that it was quoted as a statistic that it was the most or one of the most common ways to get food poisoning, so maybe that figure is influenced by our heavy reliance on Asian cuisine in Australia. Could just be a warped stat!! Happens.

A friend of mine just had a baby last Saturday. She was 6 weeks early. The mom is being discharged from the hospital tomorrow but the babe will have to remain at the hospital for at least 2 more weeks.

I'm looking to put together some food for her and her husband. They will probably only be going home to eat and shower. I need some ideas of food I can make that would be well liked (by both mom and dad) and will be easy for them to just reheat in the microwave.

I have some frozen corn chowder that I will pull out. I was thinking of a lasagna or something along those lines too. What else would be good for them that would keep well for a couple days.

Thanks! :)

Stew re-heats nicely--almost anything along those lines or soups..

Back
Top Bottom