Need some good sources for potassium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
What are some good sources of potassium other that bananas? I'm getting tired of bananas & I don't like to take suppliments. I get severe leg cramps & need all of it I can get.

Dried apricots are a GREAT source of potassium. I had never eaten one in my life and I picked some up at the grocery store one day because I just "had" to have them - I was getting up every single night and eating about 5 kalamata olives around 3:00 am - had a routine doctor's appointment with routine bloodwork and my potassium was VERY low. It's funny how our bodies tell us what we need. I mean, to crave dried apricots when I didn't even know what they tasted like!!!!!

Those are listed on the site that mudbug posted. After reading the recomended foods, I realized how much stuff I eat has a lot of potassium.

I know what you mean about the body craving things. When I was expecting my son, I craved chicken livers. My iron was low & the doctor put me on iron pills. Well long story short, I didn't take the pills, I started eating chicken livers & my iron went up without even having to take the pills.

I'll have to go look at that site. Interesting isn't it??? By eating those chicken livers instead of taking iron pills you also spared yourself a lot of agony :shock:

rofl kitchenelf. when dw was pregnant and taking pre-natal vitamins, that's all she talked about. forget about trying to choose a name for the boy. funny, now his nickname is the little pooper, or poop for short. i just realized that. lol.

Re: Pottassium

crewsk said:
What are some good sources of potassium other that bananas? I'm getting tired of bananas & I don't like to take suppliments. I get severe leg cramps & need all of it I can get.

Cantalope and potatoes, and who doesn't like the latter?

green.gif
:roll: GO DUCKS

kitchenelf said:
Dried apricots are a GREAT source of potassium. I had never eaten one in my life and I picked some up at the grocery store one day because I just "had" to have them - I was getting up every single night and eating about 5 kalamata olives around 3:00 am - had a routine doctor's appointment with routine bloodwork and my potassium was VERY low. It's funny how our bodies tell us what we need. I mean, to crave dried apricots when I didn't even know what they tasted like!!!!!

Be careful of the dried appricots. Too many can have the same effect as too many prunes.

green.gif
:roll: GO DUCKS

Salt Substitute is potassium chloride. Use that instead of salt and you'll get all the potassium you need. In fact, when you get a leg cramp, a pinch or two of the stuff will relieve the cramp.

CREWSK;

Just wanted you to know that leg cramps are a symptom of more than one mineral deficiency, perhaps your electrolytes are off. You mentioned eating bananas for potassium, this is what Doctors usually recommend for patients that they put on lasex, dependency on lasex usually results in a potassium deficiency, if that is not the case with you than other mineral salts could also be deficient. Be careful not to upset the balance.

Please go to http://www.howstuffworks.com and type "electrolytes" into the search, than scroll down and click on "What are electrolytes" I think the information there will be helpful, it is just a little bit clinical but not so much that you would not understand it.

Grammadee {(^..^)}

Yes, I worked in nursing for 28 years off and on (four kids) until about 5 years ago when my 19 year old daughter, a pedestrian, was hit by a truck, her poor body was pinned undernieth in a jacknife position, BACKWARDS! After months in Mass General Hospital ICU she survived and now I am a personal care attendent with lots of time on my hands as she is getting pretty independent, and at age 25 will finally be back on track (well almost) and will be attending the University of New Hampshire next spring. Probably more information that you wanted, but it is late and I get chatty in the wee hours!

Grammadee {(^..^)}

Grammadee, nope, I'm not depedant on anything. I have been having leg cramps for about 15 years or so. When I went to the doctor, they did blood tests & the only thing low was my potassium. I was told then to eat plenty of bananas & other potassium rich foods, but not what they were. I'll chech out the electrolyte thing too. Thanks for your help & advice! :D

Grammadee, what an extremely difficult five years your family has had, and what incredible pride you must feel in your daughter and in yourselves, as well. So much to overcome and accept. Headed for UNH? That is fantastic!!! You have so much to celebrate and I am happy for all.

Thank you for sharing.

I know you said you didn't want to take supplements, but this has worked wonders for me in the past. I used to (and still do) get really bad leg cramps during the night. I now keep a bottle of Tums next to my bed. They will destroy a leg cramp in no time. Before I have even finished swallowing it my cramp is almost gone. Tums are also a great source of calcium which a lot of women need anyway.

Back
Top Bottom