"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 01-24-2008, 10:19 PM   #11
Senior Cook
Drinks are a good idea, milk, cream for coffee. I remember when my mom dies and we were flooded with food, but we ran out of drinks, cream for coffee. Pastries are good to have to offer people who come to have with coffee. The small things that ya need and don't feel like going to the store for.

sage™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:23 AM   #12
Head Chef
I made up some hoagies and wrapped them in plastic. I put each one in a gallon ziploc and added a baggie of crackers and a baggie of green grapes.
(The hoagies were deli ham or turkey, slice of swiss or provolone and lettuce.)

It was easy for people to take something home to eat. I forgot to put in any cookies and there was no problem with people putting some in.

The Church always provides a nice meal after funeral services served at the Church but today school was cancelled and the meal was served in the school cafeteria. The guest of honor was 17 years old.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --- Thomas Edison
StirBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:53 AM   #13
Head Chef
I have helped out at several freinds at this sad time and I have found that there is never enough paper plates, napkins, Cups for drinks and hot drinks. There is always alot of food. I drop off those items as there is always alot of food and desserts. then in a week or two I make a meal and take it over to them when all the healing begins and it all kicks in that their loved one is gone and it picks them up.
I also will drop off a spare coffee pot as it seems you are always making coffee. I picked one up at the local drug store for 20.00 and that is my loaner. so if it happens not to get returned oh well it was only 20.00.
another thing to remenber during this time, if taking a dish put it in a dish you don't care about getting back, or go to your local dollar store and purchase and inexpensive dish,
Familys aren't thinking clearly in this time and don't remeber whos dish was whos and then the deed to get the items back to the givers thats just another thing to remind them of that sad day. I put a note on the item with a name and msg, No need to return dish.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:39 AM   #14
Head Chef
First, my condolences. I would stick with all-in-one meals/dishes that can easily be reheated. To round it out & make it a meal, you could p/u a bagged salad and a loaf of French or Italian bread to go with. Also, try a search here under crockpot and casseroles. Some suggestions:

Ravioli lasagna or tortelinni Bake (w sausage & spinach)

Quiche (i.e. spinach & cheese, etc.)

Cheese Calzone

Homemade veggie Pizza

Veggie Lasagna

Eggplant Parmesan

Chicken Parmesan

Chicken & Rice Bake

One Pan Chicken & Potatoes

Beef Stew

Beef Bourgignon

Cold Pasta Salad

Antipasti (Pasta Salad)

Cheese/spinach Stuffed Shells

Cheese Manicotti

Stuffed Peppers - Sub w ground turkey

Tuna (or salmon) casserole (comfort food & easy to reheat)

Have a recipe for baked chicken breasts over Portobello mushrooms I want to try. Let me know if you are interested.
*amy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:36 AM   #15
Sous Chef
AuntDot: I think your Chili Dog Casserole is going to be perfect for Super Bowl Sunday!

JillBurgh is offline   Reply With Quote