Need two dishes for this week.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alx26

Cook
Hey guys I'm looking to make something nice this week need two main course dishes. I'm a beginner and made so far:

Beef and tomato pasta bake
tuna casserole
Chicken marsala
Butter chicken

so obviosly not lookin to make those again.

Any dishes you guys can recommend and perhaps post the recipe. Nothing to complicated or expensive. Some classics maybe....

I'll greatly appreciate it :chef:

Try roasting something, maybe a pork butt. They are pretty easy, and good! I used lots of garlic, sage, and pepper. One can find them on sale from time to time.
Or, one could season with cumin, garlic, and chili powder and do a Mexican theme. Serve with tortillas, refried beans, and rice.

Do a stir fry. You can add any meat or fish, any vegetable, use spaghetti for lo mein noodles, or rice. It can be as elaborate or
economical as you want. If you prep everything ahead of time, the cooking goes fast.
or,
shrimp (or you could even do chicken beast) scampi with linguini
or,
fettucini alfredo (you could add sundried tomato pieces or chopped clams)
I don't do cassaroles per se, so no help there. Sorry.

Chicken Rouladen:
This recipe isn't difficult, but is a bit time consuming. So it will depend on how many people you are making this for and how much time you have whether or not you want to try it. It is very good tasting though, and is sure to please, as long as it's not overcooked.;)

Ingredients:
1 boneless chicken breast per person
2 tbs. stuffing per person
1 cup egg wash
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups panko bread crumbs
2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. rubbed sage

Preheat oven to 375' F
Make up your favorite turkey stuffing recipe. Traditionally, I use a bread stuffing for this, but it's also incredible with a chicken-flavored rice, wild rice, and mushroom stuffing.
Place uncooked chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound thin with the smooth side of a meat mallet or heavy frying pan. Place tbs. of stuffing onto the flattened chicken meat and roll the meat around it as if you were forming egg rolls. Tuck the ends inward and secure with a toothpick. Repeat this process for all of the chicken breasts.

Combine the flour, salt and sage. You can also add pepper to the flour if you want. Dip the chicken rolls in the flour, and then into the egg wash. Roll the chicken in the breadcrumbs and set on waxed paper to dry for ten minutes or so.

Line a shallow baking pan with parchment paper and place the chicken rouladen onto the paper. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Cover the pan with foil and take to your outing, or better yet, cook on site and serve immediately. No gravy or sauce is required for this as the meat is very juicy and succulent. Serve with mashed rutabegas that have butter and pepper mixed into them.

A second dish to go with this might be corn pudding. Do a quick search in DiscussCooking for great corn pudding recipes.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

How about a hint -- what would you like to try? Beef, lamb, pork, chicken, fish, pasta, vegetarian?
American, Mexican, Italian, Jewish, Asian, Indian, or what?
This group has a lot of good recipes in any of these areas.

In the meantime, here's an easy brisket recipe, which I would classify as Classic American-Jewish cooking:

FRIDAY NIGHT BRISKET

1 (4- to 5-pound) brisket
2 (1-ounce) packets onion soup mix
1½ cups Heinz Chili Sauce
6 cloves garlic
1½ pounds carrots

1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the meat fat-side up in a large
Dutch oven. Sprinkle the onion soup mix over the meat. Cover with
the chile sauce and 2 cups of water, or more if needed to almost
cover the meat. Crush the garlic cloves and add to the liquid (they will
dissolve, so no need to chop).

2. Cover the pan and cook for 4 hours. Check every 30 minutes to be
sure there is sufficient liquid in pan. Let the brisket cool for about 45
minutes and refrigerate overnight. Then skim the fat off the meat.

3. About 1½ hours before you wish to serve the brisket, heat the oven to
350 degrees. Remove the brisket to a cutting board and slice it thinly
across the grain. Return to pan.

4. Trim, peel and cut the carrots into 1½-by-2-inch sticks and add to pan.
Cook the brisket and carrots covered for 1 hour, until the brisket is heated
through and the carrots are fork tender.

Alternatively, the brisket can be completed the same day, although the
flavor is a bit better if you refrigerate it overnight:

While the brisket is cooling for 45 minutes, trim, peel and cut the carrots into
1½-by-2-inch sticks. Remove the brisket and slice it thinly across the
grain. Skim the fat off the top of the liquid, add the sliced brisket back
to the pan with the carrots, cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 more
hour, or until carrots are fork tender.

Makes 8 to 10 servings.

I will be trying a chilli con carne

I shoud have been more specific, I am looking to make something that I can heat up the next day and the day after that and eat. Looking for it to have good amount of protein and carbs(potatoes, wholewheat pasta, brown rice)

Thanks for the recipes I really appreciate the help.

But keep going :pig:

there is nothing more simple than boiled corned beef, potatoes, and cabbage. fill a large pot with water, plunk in the corned beef, bring to a boil. skim any scum that rises for about a half hour, then add a quartered head of cabbage, and some small potatoes. keep on a low bubble boil for another 45 m,inutes or so, until the cabbage and spuds are soft and cooked through.

if you want leftovers, be sure to buy the biggest corned beef you can find. they shrink up a lot.

make a nice lasagna or spaghetti.........you really can't mess that up and it's comfort food and then a nice salad and a veggie on the side......sourdough bread would be great....don't know what your budget is though.........these days when someone cooks ....you're considered a hero and have some fairly decent wine on the side.......best wishes.....when is dinner?

out of curiosity just what is corned beef? never had it........

expatty, you've never had corned beef? saints preserve us!

it's a piece of beef brisket that is pickled in brine with herbs.

the term "corned" comes from the old english way of preserving meat. you would pack the meat in "corns" of salt.

i've had real "corned" beef, and it's kinda nasty. it's greyish, and very very salty. i prefer the pink, pickled kind.

It is beef (usually a brisket) that has been brined. The word "corned" refers to the use of the word as it applies to small particles, such as salt.

Which also means you have never eaten a Rueben sandwich.. One of the finest sandwiches to grace any table.

Corned beef, swiss cheese, sauerkraut on rye bread, then grilled. Often served with thousand Island dressing.. I prefer it without.

How about spaghetti with homemade sauce:

spaghettii.jpg

Here's what you'll need:

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (optional)
1 (28 ounce) can of crushed tomtoes
1 (15 ounce) can of tomato sauce
1 (6 ounce) can of tomato paste
1/2 cup of water
1 tablespoon of sugar
11/2 teaspoon of dried basil
1/2 teaspoon of fennel seeds
1 teaspoon of Italian Seasoning
1 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
2 tablespoons of dried parsley
1 pound of spaghetti, cooked according to package directions

Here's what you need to do:

lasagna-1.jpg
In a large Dutch Oven, brown the ground beef until well browned. Add the onion, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook until onions turn clear.

lasagna-2.jpg
Add the crushed tomatoes, sauce, paste, water, and sugar.

lasagna-3.jpg
Mix well.

lasagna-4.jpg
Add Basil, Fennel Seeds, Italian Seasoning, Salt, Pepper and Parsley.

lasagna-5.jpg
Stir well. Cover and cook for at least 45 minutes but if you have the time, cook it for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, it will be even better.

I'm sorry.........I've never had corned beef.......thanks, Buckytom for telling me how it came to be called that.....I love to know that sorta stuff........ I know that I've been culinarily deprived and I've heard of Reubens but never have had one.........I need and want to go to New York once in my lifetime........for heaven's sake I've been everywhere else in the world willingly and unwillingly and NYC is where I really want to visit.........maybe this year is the year.............:)

How about spaghetti with homemade sauce:

spaghettii.jpg

Here's what you'll need:

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (optional)
1 (28 ounce) can of crushed tomtoes
1 (15 ounce) can of tomato sauce
1 (6 ounce) can of tomato paste
1/2 cup of water
1 tablespoon of sugar
11/2 teaspoon of dried basil
1/2 teaspoon of fennel seeds
1 teaspoon of Italian Seasoning
1 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
2 tablespoons of dried parsley
1 pound of spaghetti, cooked according to package directions

Here's what you need to do:

lasagna-1.jpg
In a large Dutch Oven, brown the ground beef until well browned. Add the onion and garlic and cook until onions turn clear.

lasagna-2.jpg
Add the crushed tomatoes, sauce, paste, water, and sugar.

lasagna-3.jpg
Mix well.

lasagna-4.jpg
Add Basil, Fennel Seeds, Italian Seasoning, Salt, Pepper and Parsley.

lasagna-5.jpg
Stir well. Cover and cook for at least 45 minutes but if you have the time, cook it for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, it will be even better.

that looks absolutely scrumptious, Mama,........thanks for posting your recipe.....I know how much time that that takes....we need a smiley face licking its chops..........debs

Back
Top Bottom