Need your ideas for a casual outing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
We're going to have a casual outside party for my sons high school graduation. He doesn't want anything fancy. We're just planning on pulling out numerous grills and grilling some hamburgers, hotdogs, maybe chicken breasts. We need some side ideas that will tolerate being left out for several hours. We will have about 5 or 6 crockpots going. What would you fix?

Thanks Everyone!

You could keep baked beans, oven roasted potatoes or dirty rice in a crock pot.

With a gang of high school kids, chips should be available. That's a side dish for most teens.

Agree with Andy that most kids are picky eaters. I would suggest a few things to keep them busy munching until you fire up the grill and get the burgers and hot dogs ready.

Some layered dip - Refried beans, layered with salsa, lettuce, cheddar cheese and topped with some chopped scallions and chopped avacados. Leave some sour cream out on the side in a bowl filled with ice. It has a much longer shelf life than you think. I would put a big bowl of chips with that.

A fruit salad would be great. I am not sure how many kids are into fruit but if they were like my son who prefers any kind of fruit over other prepared confections it would go over well. I personally prefer fruit at room temperature. You can cut seedless watermelon, cantelopes, honey dews, throw in some grapes stir it all together and serve it in a large bowl.

You can also prepare some eggrolls with filling of your choice ahead of time and freeze them. The day of your party fry them early in the morning and serve with room temperature. Trust me they still taste pretty great with some sort of dipping sauce.

Amongst Indians we make something called samosas that are mostly eaten at room temperature and I have yet to find someone who did not like it. I know it's exotic for most kids but it's nothing but a mixture of boiled potatoes and peas with some cumin and chilli powder, lemon juice and cilantro stuffed in little wonton wrappers and fried for a bite size snack. I would think it would go over well because it's finger food.

Have chex mix, assorted nuts and candy corn and you have it made.

Sorry crockpot and cookouts don't go hand in hand with me. I prefer room temperature food and finger foods around kids.

TEXAS CAVIAR
(in North Carolina it's called Texas Caviar and in Texas it's called North Carolina Caviar probably). This is excellent made a couple hours ahead and I always add a can of drained and rinsed sweet corn.

3 16oz cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 small jar chopped pimentos, juice included
1 bunch scallions, chopped, green part only
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
1 tablespoon Tabasco
1 tablespoon Worcestershire
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
3 fresh jalapeno chilies, seeded and chopped
1 firm, ripe tomato, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced or pressed
2 cups vinaigrette

In a large bowl stir all ingredients very well. Chill for at least 4-6 hours, preferably overnight in a sealed container. The longer it sits the better it gets.

Serve with old-fashioned crackers or tortilla chips.

Vinaigrette recipe - 1 part vinegar, 3 parts oil, chopped garlic
Add crushed garlic, vinegar, and oil. Close and shake well. Let stand and shake again well. Use less than tempted to use.

You can't go wrong with a good macaroni and cheese...kids always love that.

Here's another kid favorite that Emeril made for one of his school lunch shows, and it's a big hit here as well.

Tator Tot Casserole

2 eggs
1 cup milk
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup ham, choped
1 lb. tator tots, thawed
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper

Topping:
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup cooked crumbled bacon

Mix first 7 ingredients together. Put in buttered baking dish. Sprinkle with topping. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

kitchenelf said:
TEXAS CAVIAR
(in North Carolina it's called Texas Caviar and in Texas it's called North Carolina Caviar probably). This is excellent made a couple hours ahead and I always add a can of drained and rinsed sweet corn.

3 16oz cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 small jar chopped pimentos, juice included
1 bunch scallions, chopped, green part only
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
1 tablespoon Tabasco
1 tablespoon Worcestershire
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
3 fresh jalapeno chilies, seeded and chopped
1 firm, ripe tomato, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced or pressed
2 cups vinaigrette

In a large bowl stir all ingredients very well. Chill for at least 4-6 hours, preferably overnight in a sealed container. The longer it sits the better it gets.

Serve with old-fashioned crackers or tortilla chips.

Vinaigrette recipe - 1 part vinegar, 3 parts oil, chopped garlic
Add crushed garlic, vinegar, and oil. Close and shake well. Let stand and shake again well. Use less than tempted to use.

I don't think that i have ever had this:LOL:
Don't know what it would be called here.

i think the baked beans are a good idea, and i have a great potato recipe from my Aunt Joyce.
parboil 5 lbs. of red potatoes, skin on. peel as for potato salad or leave the skin on for color. grate 1/3 on large holes into a 13" glass baking dish, then onion salt and garlic powder and lots of fresh-cracked black pepper. repeat the layers.
pour 3 small cartons of whipping cream over it. cover with foil, chill overnight, then bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
DELISH! Aunt Joyce brings these to most family gatherings and they go like crazy. you can add cheddar cheese and chives, too, in between the layers.

Check the grilling section. I'm sure there are some good ideas there. Like maybe some grilled pineapple.

Teens are pretty simple. Your grilling all the right things, other than that I would add a tub of iced soda, juice, and water, potatoe chips, pretzels, popcorn, peanuts in small bags so they can each grab what they want, maybe several bags of mixed candies, gum and maybe a bowl of silly toys from a party place.

Great idea about the silly toys, Amber!
I know high schoolers want to be grown-ups, but give 'em toys and they'll revert back to 6-year olds again!

Also, having grab-bags is a wonderful idea.

Hi Sizz. Congrats on the graduation.

My faves would be potato salad, cold mac salad, cole slaw...but if you're concerned about anything left out w mayo, here are some ideas:

Chili - lots of recipes for crockpot chili on the net. Could serve on burger buns w onions.

Guacamole & chips - or assortment of fave dips (Con Queso, etc. ) - Stuff kids can nibble on

Big simple salad (i.e. lettuce, cherry tomatoes, red onions, mandarin oranges, mushrooms) - set out in a large salad bowl (everyone can help themselves) - set out a few different bottled dressings.

Big punch bowl w lemonade or punch (Don't know if they're old enough for Sangria?) - Get lots of bags of ice to keep cool.

Watermelon - easy & no fuss.

Grilled corn on the cob w butter & paprika.

Baked Onion rings.

Back to cole slaw & potato salad. Might be some recipes for mayo-free dishes.

Used to have a recipe (on my old puter...GRRR) for a brat hot tub. I'll see if I can locate it again, if you're interested.

Here's a recipe I found (haven't tried), if you'd like to do a dish in the crock pot...note - serves only 6-8.

Chili Dogs Crock Pot
1 pound frankfurters
1 large onion, finely chopped,
or 3 tablespoons dried minced onion
2 cans (15 ounces each) chili with beans
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 lb cheddar cheese, cubed or grated
frankfurter rolls

Combine all ingredients except cheese and rolls in Crock-Pot. Stir well. Cover and cook on Low for 5 to 10 hours or on High for 2 to 3 hours. Add cheese just before serving and allow to melt slightly. Serve each frankfurter in a roll and spoon sauce over top. Serves 6 to 8.

Dessert:
Get a few gallons of different flavors of ice cream. (Can be stored in freezer till serving time.)

A few ready-made pies (i.e. apple, cherry), can be kept in fridge till serving time - then top with ice cream. Or - don't know if you've planned on a graduation cake...can get one ready-made as well.

Ooops, forgot the sauerkraut, pickles n relish.

Last edited:
Yippee, Sizz. Eureka, I found it!

Johnsonville Brat Hot Tub Grilling for a crowd can be a challenge. And no self-respecting grillmeister serves brats that have overstayed their welcome on the grill.

One sure-fire way to make certain all your guests get a piping hot, juicy Johnsonville brat is to create a simple bratwurst hot tub. Here's what you'll need:
  • One 11 x 9 x 2 3/8 inch Foil Baking Pan
  • 2 - 3 beers
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • One medium yellow or white onion, sliced
Put the pan right on the grill, careful not to singe your knuckle hair, pour in the beers and add the butter and onions. Then grill your Johnsonville brats to a juicy, golden-brown perfection. Serve immediately to your hungry guests and place any remaining brats into the steaming hot tub. When folks are ready for seconds or thirds — or when stragglers show up late, grab a Johnsonville Brat out of the hot tub and enjoy! Welcome to Heaven on a Bun.

Don't forget, these are kids graduating from high school -
sizz may not want to give them a taste for beer, as they're all underaged!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom