"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 01-10-2006, 08:02 AM   #21
Cooking Links Contest Winner
Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
Welcome to DC! Looks like you have got a lot of help already from everyone here at DC! Learning to cook takes time, and you are gonna crash and burn occasionally, but that is how you learn! I remember cooking horribly for my husband, but soon learned how to cook, by jumping in and trying new things. I am still learning, too. I also, as suggested, learned a lot from cooking shows, and just reading about the basics skills of cooking. And now, some people tell me I should go into catering! Good luck to you! You are at the right place! Again, welcome to DC!

~ Shannon

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:12 AM   #22
Head Chef
Tons of recipes for dressing up standard college fare.

It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:10 AM   #23
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Found this website for microwave recipes for you: http://www.nancyskitchen.com/microwave.asp It has some good recipes that you can easily make.
If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:18 AM   #24
Master Chef
Here are instructions on how to cook pasta in the microwave, plus other recipes.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:34 AM   #25
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Welcome to DC Brian, you have come to a right place!! You would probably know that by now as you have already received many good suggestions. My two cents would be to invest in a toaster oven, they are inexpensive and even after you move to a place with a real kitchen, it will come in handy in many occasions... you can make a pizza on frenchbread/foccacia/boboli bread that taste so much better than any frozen ones, or hot sandwiches that would be also much more satisfying than a big mac among other things. I also started cooking about your age without any previous experience or knowledge. I only had my love for food and imagination in my arsenal. But quickly found out cooking was one of the most fun and rewarding activities I had ever tried my hands on. Don't get discouraged by an occasional failure, (it happens also to a most accomplished chef!) keep a creative mind and have fun, and don't ever be afraid to ask questions here, we are all here to help each other!!
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:36 AM   #26
Send a message via AIM to momerlyn
Brian, there's a great cookbook my daughter got for my non-cooking son: A Man, A Can and A Plan. It's so easy, a grade-schooler could do it. They are the kinds of recipes you like, and very short, easy directions. (Open can, pour in bowl, add next can, stir, microvwave, eat)
momerlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:00 PM   #27
Executive Chef
Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Originally Posted by Iamadoorknob
And I've cooked eggs...but I burn them every time. I didnt mention those cause someone (not on this forum) told me that those dont count as "cooking".
I wouldn't say that's true for a second. Be it a whole roast chicken or a single egg, cooking is the act of preparing any food that you (or someone else) are going to consume. What kind of eggs did you try? The key with many types of eggs (scrambled, sunny side up, etc) is take them off the heat just before they are completely cooked. The eggs will continue to cook from their own residual heat on the plate, and you'll end up with soft, lovely eggs

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:30 PM   #28
Chief Eating Officer
I agree with Piccolina. Cooking an egg is most certainly cooking. As a matter of fact some chefs when interviewing possible new chefs will have them cook and egg because they are easy to screw up and there are also so many different ways of cooking them.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:34 PM   #29
Executive Chef
I suppose one reason an egg is so easily messed up is because we are usually doing other things at the same time. If we take the proper care, it would turn out well every time.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:36 AM   #30
Executive Chef
Hi Brian, Wlcome to DC. This is an easy recipe, and doesn't take long to prepare. You could use cooked pasta (macaroni, ziti, etc.) in place of the potatoes, if you like.

Beef, Potato and Mozzarella Lasagna
Serving Size:4

1 lb. potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
1/2 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 jar (14 oz.) spaghetti sauce
3/4 cup Ricotta Cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan, Grated
2 egg whites
1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling water for 5 minutes; drain. Meanwhile, brown meat with onion in large nonstick skillet, stirring occasionally. Drain, if necessary. Add spaghetti sauce to skillet.

Mix ricotta cheese, grated Parmesan and egg whites until well blended. Spoon half of the meat mixture into 8-inch square baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Cover with half of the potatoes; top with layers of the ricotta cheese mixture, remaining potatoes and remaining meat mixture. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil.

Bake 50 minutes. Remove foil. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Pasta dishes are easy, and you can add just about any ingredients you liike with some fresh herbs, chopped tomatoes, garlic, cheese of choice, black olives, onions, olive oil, etc. Baked ziti is another simple dish.

mish is offline   Reply With Quote