"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-08-2006, 04:13 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Never cooked before...

Hey...I'm new to this forum. So let me introduce myself!

I'm Brian...I'm 18 and I'm a freshman at Cal State University, Fresno. I've never cooked anything before (I've set some brownies on fire by accident though) and I'm really getting tierd of going out to eat every single day. Can someone give me some easy stuff to cook...and how to make it and stuff. thanks!

Old 01-08-2006, 04:18 PM   #2
Head Chef

Welcome, Brian - interesting nic...

What kinds of things do you like to eat? I'm sure we can send lots of ideas your way...

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:20 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Watch a lot of cooking shows. Every day. You can get the recipes but you'll need someone to teach you some sort of technique. That in itself is much more important then the recipes.

Just don't watch Emeril Live.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:23 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Welcome Brian! I've always thought that if anyone can read and know the basic measurements, they can very well follow a recipe and cook. I would suggest you get ahold of some essential herbs and spices, your favorite staples (pastas, rice, legumes) and some good cuts of meats and poultry and visit us here often. You've come to a great place full of awsome cooks.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:24 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie
Welcome, Brian - interesting nic...

What kinds of things do you like to eat? I'm sure we can send lots of ideas your way...
Well...I like burgers, pizza, tacos, shrimp, anything thats fried, Um...I dunno I never really eat good stuff anymore
Old 01-08-2006, 04:28 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I suggest going to www.foodtv.com and looking for any of Rachel Ray's recipes. She is into fast and simple but very flavorful and satisfying recipes. You will easily recognize everything that she prepares and her recipes will get you going without any fear of screwing anything up.

Her cookbooks are also very nicely written and edited.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:29 PM   #7
Head Chef

Another question, Brian...what kind of cooking appliances do you have? Stove with burners and oven? Microwave? Toaster oven?

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:36 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie
Another question, Brian...what kind of cooking appliances do you have? Stove with burners and oven? Microwave? Toaster oven?
I have access to all of those things...But its really hard to get into the kitchen in the dorms. In a few months I'll have my own kitchen but for now all I have is a microwave and a few mini-refridgerators.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:15 PM   #9
Head Chef

I love to make taco salad when I want something easy and quick to make. This would be a good recipe to start with.

1 lb. ground beef or ground turkey if you want it healthier
1 package taco seasoning (This is in a small package by the mexican food or spices)

Put a little bit of oil in the bottom of a pan, just enough to coat the bottom, and cook the meat until color just changes to brown. The oil will keep the meat from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Strain off the liquid from the meat. Now add the package of seasoning to the meat and stir until blended.

Put some frito scoops on the bottom of the plate and add the meat mixture on top. Now top the meat with whatever sides you like.
lettuce
tomato
cheddar cheese
green onion
sour cream
hot sauce or salsa
cantalina salad dressing
ect.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:38 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Hi Brian a big welcome to DC

Cooking is not scary and but needn't be difficult (even if it can come across as a little to a newbie). I'd suggest that you take out a stack of various cookbooks from your closest library. Pick ones with titles or themes that appeal to you and see if any of the recipes in them catch your eye. There are lots of great books with titles like "1000 recipes for college students" (I don't know if that's a real one, I just made it up as an example) which can help provide you with some easy and (hopefully) economical meal ideas.

Life with a microwave can be tough, but it's not that brutal. I've lived in a place with no stove (I did have a small hot plate) for a while and I learned that you can make tons of stuff in the nuker. From rice (an old Pyrex microwave-proof baking dish is awesome for this purpose) to a whole cooked chicken. They are also good for steaming veggies, cooking eggs and a lot of other things (while at the library look for some microwave cooking books).

A lot of things like (some) vegetables and fresh fruit don't have to be cooked. Do you have a blender? Or access to one? Fresh fruit, yogurt and perhaps some oats or seeds for fibre make great smoothies which can be really filling. Things in wraps, pita pockets and tortillas are also handy. You can cook chicken breast (or thighs, which are often more economical) in the microwave (I suggest adding a few TBSP of water to the dish, it helps to prevent them from drying out) then season them to taste (fresh herbs are great), maybe with some salsa, pesto, tomato sauce, cut up chillies, or anything you like. Add the meat to a wrap (or whatever you like) with your favourite vegetables and salad greens for a pretty healthy and quick supper or lunch.

The best way to learn is to experiment! Have fun, be creative and see what kind of yummy dishes you can whip up while your dorm-mates look longingly at your plate of homemade food over their take-away bags

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote