Never tried parsnip any ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orryette

Cook
Hey guys, iv been reading posts and there's heaps of things you all talk about that iv never cooked or tasted.

First batter up is the parsnip, what's the best way to cook them by themselves so I get a feel for the way they taste and what they would go well with.

Cheers Orryette :)

roasted in the oven with honey.
Chop them into wedges (1/4s usually), drizzle with oil and a tablespoon of honey and roast for 30-40 mins on 180 degrees celsius (360 degrees fahrenheit).

parsnips raw taste like a lemmony carrot. cooked they are starchier than a carrot, and their slight sharpness dissipates. They roast with meats and poultry very well (great alongside a roasted chicken or with veg in a pot roast). THey blend with potatoes nicely. Plain, cook with cream or 1/2 n 1/2 and puree. gently salt and pepper.

I love them roasted, mixed with mashed roots (potatoes, carrots, parsnips etc), in soup or stew, in a hash, or one of the veg in corned beef and cabbage for example.

enjoy

I don't see them in the store much anymore. When I was a kid we put them into a pot roast with the other veggies, boiled and mashed them or sliced them and steam/fried them. they have a sweet exotic taste to me. I would eat them if I came across them and I could also live quite happily without them. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I love parsnips. We have them a couple of times a month during the winter. My favorite way to enjoy them is either boiled and mashed like potatoes, with a little butter and salt, or chopped into bite-sized pieces, tossed with EVOO and salt, and oven roasted at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes (they should be fork tender).

The flavor to me is kind of a cross between a turnip and a carrot, though sweeter than either.

Parsnip Cream Soup with Walnut Pesto

I adore parsnips however, in the Mediterranean, they are only in season in Autumn and Winter ... They are very popular in the UK ... and Alpine Switzerland and Eastern Alpine France ...

I have a parsnip cream soup with walnut pesto in Ethnic Food Recipes that my mom used to make.

I roast the parsnips prior to preparing them in a cream soup.

Thanks for posting, Grazie.
Margi.

Try a parsnip puree, and serve alongside of duck with cherry sauce.

Last edited:
Parsnip Short Availability Autumn to Winter

Cerise,

Hi again. I had posted my mom´s Alpine Swiss French cream with a pinenut or walnut pesto garnish ... in Ethnic Foods section back in January.

*** Note: it is relatively unavailable at moment fresh ...

It has several European growing designations: The UK and Wales, The Basque Country - Navarra, Spain and Eastern Alpine France and Switzerland in addition to some of the Eastern former USSR block countries.

It is available from November through February.

I have never seen it frozen ... however, it is a possible in the USA or Canada.

The Roman Emperor was an aficionado of PARSNIP and thus, brought them from Roma, to UK ... ( see post for anecdote on Caesar´s love of parsnips )

Kindest.
Margi.

I love parsnip in chicken soup. It would not be moms chicken soup without parsnip and dill.

Parsnip and sour apple soup is absolutely delicious. I have a recipe for it somewhere, but cant remember exactly what went in it, when I made it. You could probably get suggestions here on Discuss Cooking and try making your own receipe. :yum:

Not something I buy--but we do grow parsnips. We prefer to dig them after the first hard frost in the late fall. I use them in place of carrots in soups.

Thanks guys for so many replies i really appreciate it, :) I'll have to give them all a go.

One question?

Steve Kroll

what is EVOO that's another something a lot of u talk about that iv never heard of.

Cheers again Orryette :D

Not something I buy--but we do grow parsnips. We prefer to dig them after the first hard frost in the late fall. I use them in place of carrots in soups.

My mother always served them in the fall and winter. I put in on the list of my least favorite vegetable. I find it too sweet. She always served them in a boiled dinner with a smoked shoulder or brisket. As you have seen, there are many recipes and way to serve them.

Buy a couple of them, slice them into medallions and boil them in salted water. Then eat them with butter. That way you will find out if you like them or not. It is a root vegie and grows underground like a carrot or beet. If you find that you like them, use them as you would a carrot. :chef:

Thanks guys for so many replies i really appreciate it, :) I'll have to give them all a go.

One question?

Steve Kroll

what is EVOO that's another something a lot of u talk about that iv never heard of.

Cheers again Orryette :D

EVOO = Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Any other questions, you know where to come. We ae always glad to be of help.

Addie said:
My mother always served them in the fall and winter. I put in on the list of my least favorite vegetable. I find it too sweet. She always served them in a boiled dinner with a smoked shoulder or brisket. As you have seen, there are many recipes and way to serve them.

Buy a couple of them, slice them into medallions and boil them in salted water. Then eat them with butter. That way you will find out if you like them or not. It is a root vegie and grows underground like a carrot or beet. If you find that you like them, use them as you would a carrot. :chef:

Thx Addie ill give that a go. :)

I do not really eat them, unless I grade them before putting into a soup. Actually same with carrots or beets. I just do not like vegies in general. But I cannot imagine making soup without.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom