"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-10-2008, 05:20 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Wow I really appreciate all the advice. You guys have given me some base to go from. Is it a better idea to give cooking a go as a hobby, and if I enjoy it enough, then start to look into as a career?

Old 05-10-2008, 11:32 AM   #12
Certified Cake Maniac

That sounds like a good start. You can take a few courses in regular or ethnic cooking through your school board or recreation centres (at least you can here), which will give you the basics to build on at home.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:41 PM   #13
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyVenom View Post
What grows the best on a kitchen windowsill?
Best thing is to try a bit of each. Currently I've got sage & rosemary on the inside of the window, and spearmint, italian parsley, cilantro, & sweet basil on the sill outside.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:42 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Hello, I am actually new to this site as well, I haven't looked around a whole lot yet, but I thought I would toss in a few thoughts. My wife and I cook together at home, both overweight and need to lose #'s, I'll be following this posting closely for that. We are Food Network addicts. Alton Brown/Good Eats is probably our favorite show because of the way Alton teaches. He also has a few books out, "I'm Just Here For The Food" is one that can help wrap your head around why things work the way they do. "Heat+Food=Cooking"-AB Visit Barnes and Noble, grab the book and read a few pages, that is what has helped me.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:38 PM   #15
Executive Chef

VARIETY, VARIETY, VARIETY. Dont' deny specific food groups. Everything in moderation. Better to eat 5 small meals, like tapas, than 2 big/skip one. Spices/herbs enhance and replace salt, butter, fat. Don't eat 'cause it's 12noon, lunchtime, eat when your body tells you to and only enough to sate your appetite. Drink water - lots. Don't eat before bed.
Don't get down on yourself when you've slipped and (here we go) don't let other people tell you what's right for you.

Don't diet. That only will temporarily help. Although I live to eat,as many here do, I think, you have to eat to live; meaning think of food as fuel - what does your body need?, not what does your head need?.

Who said "the best diet is to close your mouth"?
Lastly, but firstly; when you wake-up in the morning, EVERY MORNING, go to your mirror, look at yourself and say "I LIKE YOU. I REALLY LIKE YOU". It will make you smile (maybe the only one you'll get that day) and it let's you not take yourself so serious.
Remember too, ya don't see too many pencil thin chefs/cooks.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #16
Certified Cake Maniac

Quicksilver, I agree with everything you say!

Just to add to the "don't get down on yourself if you slip", also reward yourself once in awhile for being good - like have something you really like but only a small portion of it. If you deny, deny, deny your body of all those cravings, you are more likely to fall.

And I agree, DON'T diet!!!! Make your food choices a lifestyle!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:46 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyVenom View Post
What grows the best on a kitchen windowsill?
Just about any herb will do well. I would probably have parsley and basil as two key herbs and the any others you particularly like. I sometimes go to the supermarket & get a few of their live potted herbs & grow them on.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #18
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Jesse,

Another hearty welcome! I have been working on the healthy cooking for well over a year now. Everyone has pretty much covered what I would have said. So here are just a few more suggestions based on my experience.

Watch what you drink. Water is best, plain cold water, not flavored water as they have a lot of hidden calories and some use high fructose corn syrup.

REAL juice is another good choice, again read the lable and if it is not 100% juice pass it by.

Use fresh herbs and fresh fruit. I have fallen in love with fresh herbs, fresh lemon juice and lemon zest. Some of the pre-packaged herbs in the store have recipes on the back.

Stay away from as much pre-packaged / pre-processed foods as possible. It really is cheaper to cook from scratch.

Make a weekly menu and include left-overs one or two nights a week. You can make what I call Left-over Part II. Example, if I make a roast one night I'll make a pot pie with the left overs later that week. If I roast a chicken I make chicken salad or mile-high roast chicken sandwiches.

Cook, cook, read. cook, cook, ask questions, cook, cook. You WILL make some bad dishes, some mediocre ones and some really spot-on ones.

And the 2 things that were said before: everything in moderation (You CAN have dessert) and you will back slide and that is OKAY!

If you can find some of Jamie Oliver's recipes on line read them. His 'Naked Chef' days recipes used a lot fresh veg and herbs. I have most of his books and they are one of the places I for for inspiration.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:21 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
For healthier help, I'd suggest a subscription to "Cooking Light" magazine. I have never been let down by a recipe in there!
They also have tons more recipes available online.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #20
Head Chef

I think that to be successful, weight loss food must be interesting. I grow fresh herbs in flower pots on my deck, and bring those that will not survive in for the winter, Most will produce enough to keep a kitchen going. In Virginia, thost that will make it outdoors are rosemary, chives, sage, and some others that will survive depending on the winter. I use herbs in lieu of salt, and seldom use anything that comes in a box or can. Most are full of salt and/or sugar. Fresh vegetable from the farmers market when available will work wonders. "Cooking Light" is a good read for interesting ideas.