Originally Posted by TheOnlyVenom
Hey guys I am new to these forums and need help from any and all chefs. I want to start cooking healthy meals for me and my girlfriend because we are both a little overweight. Plus, its good to eat healthy in general.
This also goes hand in hand with my decision to explore becoming a chef. I just turned 21 and this is the first profession I am seriously starting to consider. So does anyone have any suggestions on to where I should start? Maybe some suggestions on books to read, or any information at all will be helpful. Thanks
Where to start?
If you are a little overweight then you must do a little more exercise. Can you walk instead of taking the car or buy a bicycle?. Being overweight is simply the result of consumming more calories than your body requires so reduce the calories! You can do this in a number of ways:
1. Increase your energy output - go for a walk or a swim - every day;
2. Go out and buy a smaller plate/bowl than you are currently using and use this for all your meals;
3. Eat 5/6 meals per day but use fruit and vegetables as snacks;
4. Look at the methods you use to cook food - boil, bake, steam fry etc. Try to restrict yourself to one fried item per day.
5. Increase the proportion of raw food you eat each day - make snacks be your "raw food" delight!
If you want to become a chef - start applying for jobs in kitchens or go to College. Reading books will simply leaving you sitting on your ar** and achieve nothing. The reality is that if you want to be a chef you just have to get out there and join the masses. Also, start collecting recipes and recording YOUR ideas of food combinations.
Hope this helps,