New Member, a Couple Questions (risotto, springform pans)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brawnfire

Assistant Cook
Rochester, New York, United States of America, Nor
Hello, I'm Geoffrey. I'm nineteen, and since early teenagerhood I have had an interest in cooking, without the disposable income to do anything more intriguing than inventing dry-rubs. Now that I have my own personal income, I have been attempting to make dishes that are more fit for consumption in a classy air. I'm glad that I found this forum, where I have already found several interesting tips, tricks, and inspirations for future dishes. I now come to you with a couple of questions that have been troubling me in my pursuit of certain dishes. I will be much in your debt if you can answer them!

Firstly, I am a great fan of risotto, and greatly desire to make as many variants as I can. HOWEVER. I have noted that my arborio only cooks completely when cooked over a gas range. My parents, to whose kitchen I am half the time restricted, (especially when I am cooking for them) is an electric range, and every time I am cooking on it my arborio remains frustratingly crunchy. I have several times had to create irritatingly large amounts of stock in order to cook the risotto long enough. It's been suggested that I try a double-boiler, but I'm not sure how that would help. Would it? Does anyone else have any advice about how to properly cook my risotto with the shackles of an electric range?

And my second question; is there a possible way to create something requiring a springform pan if you do not have one? I am considering a chocolate mousse torte after the success of my other baked goods, but find that often an eight-inch springfrom pan is called for. I am unable to provide this; are there ways around this requirement? Perhaps a way to lift the mousse whole from out a conventional baking tin? Please advise!

I'm happy to be a member of this community, and look forward to contributing to any future posts in which I can! Adieu!

It seems you have some experience in the kitchen from your work experience .... ref your ulu knife vs the knives you have to use at work story.

RE risotto: I cook risotto on an electric stove these days - and I've cooked it on a gas stove. The only difference is to forget the "numbers" on the dial and find the correct temp. If your rice "remains frustratingly crunchy" - it's just not cooked correctly (completely). My best guess ... if you are using more stock on the electric stove ... you've got the heat too high and you're evaporating more liquid than is being absorbed when compared to the gas stovetop.

RE torte: It totally depends on the texture (firmness). If it is firm enough to invert to depan and then invert back onto a serving plate ... line the bottom and sides of a regular cake pan with well greased parchment paper. If it's too delicate for that ... you need the springform pan.

Another general tip for making risottos is to use a pot that is higher than it is wide, the high sides help to limit the rate of liquid loss through evaporation ensuring more liquid goes where you want it, into the rice.

Good point Haggis! And a pot with "straight" sides, too ... since pots with flared sides are used for reductions (to increase evaporation) ... although I have made risotto in a "windsor" pot and a saucier - with a little more stock.

You don't say where you're from, but you can usually pick up a springform for pretty cheap - sometimes just a couple of bucks!

check out places like Tuesday Morning, Ross, Target, Marshall's Walmart; and check goodwill stores, and do an online search. Springforms are not very high-end items at all.

Course, there's always birthday/Christmas presents!:mrgreen:

Brawnfire, I'm impressed. Not only do you cook well, but you write well, too. Good luck with the risotto and finding a spring form pan. -Sandyj

A different approach...

ROASTED RED PEPPER RISOTTO
This recipe is one of my favorite risottos, but I use the pressure cooker. Now don't scoff… LOL Seriously, if you haven't tried risotto in a pressure cooker, you should, it is S-O-O-O easy and virtually the same as the more labor intensive method. Best of all its fast, in less than ten minutes I’ve got a great risotto on the table and I'm eating dinner instead of growing old in front of the stove.

3 T. unsalted butter
1 large shallot, minced
3/4 cup Arborio or similar short grained rice
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chicken stock (or 1-3/4 cups stock plus 1/4 cup white wine)
2 roasted red peppers, diced
2 T. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/3 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese; or more to taste
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the butter in a 4-qt. or larger pressure cooker over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring often, until clear. Add the rice and stir until the grains are well coated with the melted butter. Add garlic and the chicken stock (or wine and stock). Lock the lid in place. Bring to 15psi over high heat, immediately reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting to stabilize and maintain that pressure. Cook 7 minutes. Remove from heat and use the cold water release method before opening the lid. Stir in the parsley, Parmesan, roasted peppers. Add salt, and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Cooks's Note: Roast red peppers 30 minutes at 375 degrees F. Cool thoroughly in closed paper bag. Peel and seed before use.

gotta agree with Michael and Haggis...a good sized sauce pan is better than a saute pan for risotto, despite what you might see folks do on Foodtv. THe wide open pan is better for paella where you want a bit of a "crust" THe other rissotto trick is to try to do your broth in 1/3s rather than a ladle at a time. That just takes practice. Finally, a heavy pot (think sides) be it aluminum, enameled cast iron, or lined copper will do a better job than thin stainless with or without a disc (although the disc bottom is better than nothing.) I am assuming you are not cooking at high altitudes where liquids boil and evaporate more quickly and things take longer to cook. (oh what fun I had in Aspen trying to guess what to do next to make things work! lol)

I live at a high altitude (a mile high) and have an electric stove; my risotto comes out perfect everytime. Everyone is right about the type of pot and finding the right temp. Welcome!!

I hate electric ranges but am shackled to one due to no gas connection.

My risotto comes out fine on it. I agree with the others in saying that I don't think the electric element itself is to blame.

Wow, a lot of help very quickly!

Well, I guess I should give a little background, as this IS an intro thread, as well as a question thread!

I'm nineteen, and currently taking commercial arts classes at my local community college, after realising four-year liberal-arts colleges weren't quite my style. My father is hugely into cooking, so I've learnt a great deal of cooking skills from him. I work in a pizza kitchen in a local-chain pizzaria in my hometown of Rochester, New York, basically doing prep and mix.

At home, I like to experiment with whatever I can. My favourites to cook are variants on Indian and Thai dishes, being a fan of spicy curries and rice. I'm also pursuing my perfect chai recipe with dogged determination.

Now, to respond to posts!

Michael in FtW; Wow, I feel stupid not even having considered the evaporation/absorption balance. I suppose I still have beginner ideas of "fire heat, cook food!" I'm surprised I haven't just jammed my risotto on a stick over a fire. I'll also take a look at springforms, if I do more cakes and tortes as I seem to be.

Haggis; Thank you, I'll stop using my rinky little saucepan, and see if I have something taller. I know I do, somewhere... IN THE DEPTHS.

Marmalady; Whew! Thanks! I'm really money-conscious, which is odd for someone obsessed with eating stylish. Though, it helps me be a Frugal Chef.

Sandyj; Oh, go on you. *blush* Thank you!

Missvickie; A pressure cooker... interesting! I may try that some time, though the faster the recipe gets done the more stressed out I get, for some reason. And thanks for the recipe, I always LOVE trying new little things, especially when I'm thrusting food at my parents.

Robo410: Wow, that was a load of good advice! I'm not even sure I can address things. I'm sure this is all common-sense stuff, but I don't have a good "cooking mindset" I guess. You've also inspired me to create a paella.

Shunka; Hi! How high are you? Living. I mean.

jennyema; It really does feel like a shackling to me. I'm more a fan of gas, I don't know why, but my friends all have gas ranges, and they always seem to make things come out better for me. Maybe I'm crazy. But you're right, one can make things just as easily on electric, I just don't seem to be able to reason it out! Trial and error, I guess.

Thanks, everyone!

Brawnfire, if the cooking bug really bites, consider cullinary school...there are GREAT ones in your state and nearby inicluding JW, CIA, ICE, FCI, just to name the most famous. DOn't think such training is only for chefs to be...you might end up being in one of dozens of food service positions ... just a thought
:chef:
enjoy

Don't be at all ashamed at being money-conscious! We all are; and the better deals we can get on our cookware, the more money we have to spend on the food! Do try scouting out some of those places; and it's a bit of a hump (maybe an hour or so), but there's a huge flea market in Clarence, outside B-flo, on Main St, every weekend. When we lived there, I found some great deals!

also, a few good pans can upgrade your cooking more cheaply and faster than a new range or power source. and they should last you forever! same with a good knife and sharpening stone.

Brawnfire - you're young and just learning to cook - no need to ever feel stupid because you didn't know something, or how to connect the dots. The only stupid question is the one not asked - and - only when you fail to learn something from your mistakes is it truely a failure.

Around here we're just a big extended family - we're glad to have you join us. And, we're more than glad to help when you have a question or problem.

One thing about the springform pans ... they don't have to be expensive. I got a set of 3 (8", 9", 10") from Walmart or Target, it's been a couple of years so I don't remember which, and think the set was about $8. One thing I would suggest is not pay the extra $$ for so-called "leak proof" pans. America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated did a review of them not very long ago and found that all of them leaked to one degree or another. A $4 pan wrapped in foil is more leak proof than they were.

Robo410 said:
also, a few good pans can upgrade your cooking more cheaply and faster than a new range or power source. and they should last you forever! same with a good knife and sharpening stone.

AMEN!

And I think you will find lots of very good and friendly advice here. I sure have!

Brawnfire said:
Goodness you people are sweethearts. It's nice to find a supportive forum! Thanks for all the advice thus far!

You said it!
I do believe you will never find such a caring community full of friends who will help each other at a moment's notice.

Welcome, Brawnfire to our family!

hi brawnfire, sorry this post is a little late, but I just joined this forum today!! I have been in Rome, Italy for a little more than 2 and half year, living with an gourmet Italian beau, so I can give you a tip or two for making a kick-a$$ risotto. Well it is true that gas range is better for cooking anything, but don't despair, you can do a fine risotto with electric one just a little patience!! There are several variations that I particularly like, but for a starter let me give you one of the classic risotto recipe, risotto alla milanese.

-1 cup of carnaroli rice (if you can't find it arborio is fine, but carnaroli is the ideal type for making risotto)
-One big onion, finely chopped
-extra virgin olive oil
-1 bayleaf
-half cup of white wine
-500-700ml of hot good quality broth
-1 packet (or just a few strings) of saffran, powdered
-freshly ground parmigiano

In an ample saucepan sautè the onion with plenty of olive oil over middle heat. Add the rice and let the oil coat each morsel of rice well, stirring briskly. When the rice gets semi-transperent add the bayleaf and wine, if necessary raise the heat level, when the wine is almost absorbed (but not burning) start adding the broth one ladleful at a time, adding another ladleful when the previous batch of broth is well absorbed (but the rice should still remain wet), stirring constantly. Repeat the procesure until the rice are cooked "al dente" (firm, not crunchy not mushy)... it should take about somewhere between 20-25minutes more or less, maybe with the electric range it may take a little longer but patiently repeat the procedure in this case, just make sure you prepare enough broth. When it is almost ready, add the saffran to give that wonderful colour and aroma. Cook a few minutes more. Serve hot with plenty of parmigiano to sprinkle upon. The trick to make the wonderful risotto is this "add the broth little by little", instead of letting it cook in the full amount of broth, though it is a little tedious the end result must be tasted to be believed, the each morsel of rice is covered and bursting with its flavour, it is just something else!!

Give it a try with this, then you can modify the recipes with your favourite veggies etc. as you like. You said you like to experiment, that's an excellent attitude for a creative cooking!! You are doing great and hey, I love Indian too, maybe you could share some tips on curry cooking sometime, too!!
Cheers
Licia:chef:

I love my electric stove and have no problem. I've even made a passable imitation using short-grain (CalRose) rice (when I first moved here arborio wasn't available locally). I use a deep-sided skillet (some manufacturers refer to as a dutch oven, probably because it usually comes with a lid). Is your stock good and hot when you put it in?

Back
Top Bottom