"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-24-2005, 01:08 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Location: Rochester, New York, United States of America, North America, Western Hemisphere, Planet Earth, Sol.
Send a message via AIM to Brawnfire Send a message via MSN to Brawnfire Send a message via Yahoo to Brawnfire
New Member, a Couple Questions (risotto, springform pans)

Hello, I'm Geoffrey. I'm nineteen, and since early teenagerhood I have had an interest in cooking, without the disposable income to do anything more intriguing than inventing dry-rubs. Now that I have my own personal income, I have been attempting to make dishes that are more fit for consumption in a classy air. I'm glad that I found this forum, where I have already found several interesting tips, tricks, and inspirations for future dishes. I now come to you with a couple of questions that have been troubling me in my pursuit of certain dishes. I will be much in your debt if you can answer them!

Firstly, I am a great fan of risotto, and greatly desire to make as many variants as I can. HOWEVER. I have noted that my arborio only cooks completely when cooked over a gas range. My parents, to whose kitchen I am half the time restricted, (especially when I am cooking for them) is an electric range, and every time I am cooking on it my arborio remains frustratingly crunchy. I have several times had to create irritatingly large amounts of stock in order to cook the risotto long enough. It's been suggested that I try a double-boiler, but I'm not sure how that would help. Would it? Does anyone else have any advice about how to properly cook my risotto with the shackles of an electric range?

And my second question; is there a possible way to create something requiring a springform pan if you do not have one? I am considering a chocolate mousse torte after the success of my other baked goods, but find that often an eight-inch springfrom pan is called for. I am unable to provide this; are there ways around this requirement? Perhaps a way to lift the mousse whole from out a conventional baking tin? Please advise!

I'm happy to be a member of this community, and look forward to contributing to any future posts in which I can! Adieu!

Old 08-24-2005, 01:50 AM   #2
Master Chef

It seems you have some experience in the kitchen from your work experience .... ref your ulu knife vs the knives you have to use at work story.

RE risotto: I cook risotto on an electric stove these days - and I've cooked it on a gas stove. The only difference is to forget the "numbers" on the dial and find the correct temp. If your rice "remains frustratingly crunchy" - it's just not cooked correctly (completely). My best guess ... if you are using more stock on the electric stove ... you've got the heat too high and you're evaporating more liquid than is being absorbed when compared to the gas stovetop.

RE torte: It totally depends on the texture (firmness). If it is firm enough to invert to depan and then invert back onto a serving plate ... line the bottom and sides of a regular cake pan with well greased parchment paper. If it's too delicate for that ... you need the springform pan.

Old 08-24-2005, 03:03 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Another general tip for making risottos is to use a pot that is higher than it is wide, the high sides help to limit the rate of liquid loss through evaporation ensuring more liquid goes where you want it, into the rice.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:12 AM   #4
Master Chef

Good point Haggis! And a pot with "straight" sides, too ... since pots with flared sides are used for reductions (to increase evaporation) ... although I have made risotto in a "windsor" pot and a saucier - with a little more stock.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:28 AM   #5
Executive Chef

You don't say where you're from, but you can usually pick up a springform for pretty cheap - sometimes just a couple of bucks!

check out places like Tuesday Morning, Ross, Target, Marshall's Walmart; and check goodwill stores, and do an online search. Springforms are not very high-end items at all.

Course, there's always birthday/Christmas presents!
Old 08-24-2005, 10:18 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Brawnfire, I'm impressed. Not only do you cook well, but you write well, too. Good luck with the risotto and finding a spring form pan. -Sandyj
Old 08-24-2005, 10:27 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

A different approach...

ROASTED RED PEPPER RISOTTO
This recipe is one of my favorite risottos, but I use the pressure cooker. Now don't scoff… LOL Seriously, if you haven't tried risotto in a pressure cooker, you should, it is S-O-O-O easy and virtually the same as the more labor intensive method. Best of all its fast, in less than ten minutes I’ve got a great risotto on the table and I'm eating dinner instead of growing old in front of the stove.

3 T. unsalted butter
1 large shallot, minced
3/4 cup Arborio or similar short grained rice
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chicken stock (or 1-3/4 cups stock plus 1/4 cup white wine)
2 roasted red peppers, diced
2 T. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/3 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese; or more to taste
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the butter in a 4-qt. or larger pressure cooker over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring often, until clear. Add the rice and stir until the grains are well coated with the melted butter. Add garlic and the chicken stock (or wine and stock). Lock the lid in place. Bring to 15psi over high heat, immediately reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting to stabilize and maintain that pressure. Cook 7 minutes. Remove from heat and use the cold water release method before opening the lid. Stir in the parsley, Parmesan, roasted peppers. Add salt, and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Cooks's Note: Roast red peppers 30 minutes at 375 degrees F. Cool thoroughly in closed paper bag. Peel and seed before use.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:16 AM   #8
Executive Chef

gotta agree with Michael and Haggis...a good sized sauce pan is better than a saute pan for risotto, despite what you might see folks do on Foodtv. THe wide open pan is better for paella where you want a bit of a "crust" THe other rissotto trick is to try to do your broth in 1/3s rather than a ladle at a time. That just takes practice. Finally, a heavy pot (think sides) be it aluminum, enameled cast iron, or lined copper will do a better job than thin stainless with or without a disc (although the disc bottom is better than nothing.) I am assuming you are not cooking at high altitudes where liquids boil and evaporate more quickly and things take longer to cook. (oh what fun I had in Aspen trying to guess what to do next to make things work! lol)
Old 08-24-2005, 11:50 AM   #9
Head Chef

I live at a high altitude (a mile high) and have an electric stove; my risotto comes out perfect everytime. Everyone is right about the type of pot and finding the right temp. Welcome!!
Old 08-24-2005, 12:07 PM   #10
Master Chef

I hate electric ranges but am shackled to one due to no gas connection.

My risotto comes out fine on it. I agree with the others in saying that I don't think the electric element itself is to blame.