"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-28-2010, 07:28 PM   #11
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
I like to used left-over smoked chicken to make CS sandwiches the next day.

Shredded smoked chicken
50:50 ratio of bbq sauce and mayo
fresh cracked black pepper
I was just wondering what to do with that package of chicken thighs in the fridge.... think I'm gonna grill em up tomorrow night and make a batch.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Here's a favorite around here:

BREEZY CHICKEN (OR TURKEY) SALAD

All ingredient amounts to taste:

Shredded or diced cooked regular or smoked poultry
Diced Smoked Gouda cheese
Halved red or green seedless grapes
Walnut pieces
Mayo to bind
Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
Optional: minced shallots, diced celery

Combine & serve on a bed of mixed salad greens.
I made this one yesterday. It was better today after it sat overnight, but got good reviews yesterday, too. I added the shallots, but not celery and I grated the smoked gouda. I also toasted the walnuts. I served it on homemade bread rolls. Thanks!

Old 07-28-2010, 11:50 PM   #13
Master Chef

Some interesting ideas here......thank you.
I posted my chicken salad in the chicken category two weeks ago. You may want to give it a go. It's good, if I do say so myself.

My Chicken Salad

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:14 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Some interesting ideas here......thank you.
I posted my chicken salad in the chicken category two weeks ago. You may want to give it a go. It's good, if I do say so myself.

My Chicken Salad

Thanks for the link! I appreciate it. Your recipe sounds great. I'd probably leave out the bouillon and MSG... and probably the seasoning salt, but the almonds and peas really sound wonderful! I love how fresh peas pop when you bite into them, so not only would they add good flavor, but a little surprise in texture.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #15
Head Chef

I make my chicken salad with red onion, celery, capers, lemon zest, dill, and mayo... This is my favorite I just love the fresh pop of the lemon...
Old 08-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #16
Head Chef

Hi Velochic, few twists to my chicken salad

I like to use whole brown mustard seeds and whole ground cumin seeds, dry roast them and then grind with a coffee grinder, I add them to the mayonnaise base along with freshly ground black pepper (which sometimes I also roast and grind). I like to use one yellow apple (golden delicious) chopped finely in my salad to add some sweetness to it
Sometimes I substitute apples with dry cranberries or cherries for the sweet and sour taste

Another twist I sometimes make to my chicken salad recipe is make a cilantro chutney - just a bunch of cilantro, 1 jalapeno, 2 tbsp of fresh lime juice, some ground cumin powder. Blend it all and then mix this paste in the mayonnaise along with any other ingredients and viola a little bit of an exotic spin on a blah chicken salad.

As far as serving it goes, I can't really help there because I only like my chicken salad on pepperidge farm sandwich bread and yes I toss out the crust. Something about the soft salad on a soft bread that my kids and I both enjoy very much. I don't like to experiment with something that already is so good.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:11 PM   #17
Head Chef

Ahhhh Yakuta you are a person after my heart... I also am a pepperidge farm bread person, something about the soft sweetness of the bread that just has me hooked...
Old 08-04-2010, 12:27 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I like to cut up the chicken into fine pieces, add green sliced onions, celery, diced grapes,toasted chopped nuts and the wrap in butter lettuce. mayo and small amount of Dijon to bind.Have several other ways we like it as well.

kades
Old 08-04-2010, 06:03 AM   #19
Cook

One cooked chicken, skin off, chopped into bite sized pcs. 2 or three nectarines chopped up. a few spring onions - whites and greens sliced, a cup of pecans roughly chopped - not too small, your own mayo. Toss. Yum! if you want crunchy bits, try fried noodles tossed through.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:30 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Open faced with bacon and swiss on a slice of toasted 12 grain bread.

Toast 12 (or less) grain bread because toasting really brings out the flavors of the grains.

Open faced to keep the food from gushing out the side, and so you can pile it up.