"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-20-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Cook

New Pepper recipe

My family owns a vineyard and winery in south central Italy and when we work in the fields during the summer, my mother would bring us snacks and drinks. This is a salad she makes that we make here at my house and our guests like it. It is just my way of saying "Thank You" to all of you who have assisted me the past couple of days with my first prepared meals. I realize this is very simple and many of you probably make this already but I wanted to try to contribute something here instead of bombarding all of you with questions. Sometimes, we add grilled tuna. It is served cold. Again.....thank all of you for your help in making my very first 2 meals become a success.

Take 2 or 3 yellow bell peppers grilled so the skin is blackened and starting to separate. Then peel the skin and slice lengthwise in strips about the size of a pencil. Add freshly cut garlic, olive oil, parsley and capers to taste. Serve cold with hard crust bread.....or occasionally grilled tuna.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Yum!

Old 02-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Sounds good. Anything that starts with bell peppers is a hit with me! I LOVE bell peppers. I love all colors, but I think the red are the best-like candy!
Old 02-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Simplicity at its best. I love roasted peppers....
Old 02-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yummy, thanks BigDog!
Old 02-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
Cook

You are very welcome. I know it is not much especially compared to the gourmet style that all of you are used to. My beginnings were very humble. My family business is a vineyard and winery that has been passed down through 5 generations. People hear the word "winery" and they think billions in revenue. My family in Italy are simple farmers and workers. My father still won't used mechanized machinery to harvest grapes because he thinks the gasoline exhaust fumes will make the grape skins less weather resistant. Our meals were always simple.....but delicious and plentiful.

This is a traditional farm salad that we always have. I miss home sometimes. I was there in November for 3 weeks but that is not long enough. North Carolina is very very far away from Foggia.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Any gourmet I've ever had I created myself, after teaching myself. I think most of us are from humble beginnings, too, BigDog! Be proud of your beginnings and continue to share what you know. We love to teach, but in order to teach, a person must first be able to learn! Teach us your homemade dishes!
Old 02-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
Executive Chef

We are not all gourmet chefs! Some of us are just people who love to cook and bake. We are all here to enjoy each other.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvabigdog View Post
My father still won't used mechanized machinery to harvest grapes because he thinks the gasoline exhaust fumes will make the grape skins less weather resistant. Our meals were always simple.....but delicious and plentiful.

This is a traditional farm salad that we always have. I miss home sometimes. I was there in November for 3 weeks but that is not long enough. North Carolina is very very far away from Foggia.
With that background you have everything you need to make great food. Speaking for myself at least, I am a self taught home cook, no training, just practice, with "interesting" disasters along the way.

Tags
pepper, recipe