New Product: Knorr Soup Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PolishedTopaz

Sous Chef
I am wondering if anyone has tried this stuff? It comes in little packets and looks like {on TV ads} savory jello. When I was at the market I looked at the list of ingredients, it appears to be flavored salt thickened with tapioca. Would anybody use this product in everyday cooking or "just in a pinch" cooking?

Ty Ty

:) P Top

I couldn't find a list of ingredients on the Knorr site but the Nutritional Information showed provided some detail. Too much salt and contains no cholesterol. How do you make chicken stock without cholesterol? All calories come from fat. No vitamins, minerals, proteins or carbs.

A scientific wonder for the ages.

When I saw the commercial I had three thoughts:

1. The product was more of a glace than a stock.
2. It's a way for Knorr to use it's bases to capture more of the retail market.
3. I was concerned about the salt level.

I notice, too, that Swanson is now promoting a similar product. And, of course, Savory Choice has offered a line of them for quite some time.

I recently tried both the chicken and beef stocks and to me they have very little flavour or depth to them. I make all my own stock but occasionally have to resort to pre-made. I really wouldn't recommend these at all.

As HF said, other manufacturers have been introducing similar products. I've seen them advertised on TV.

It appears to me that the manufacturers want us to think of these flavor packets as the equivalent of a can of stock. From their perspective it's cheaper to stamp out a packet than to fill and label a can, and it's cheaper to ship a box full of packets than a pallet full of cans. I've assumed that it boils down to them wanting to switch consumers to products that have higher profit margins.

Whether they're good or not I can't tell you because I haven't been sufficiently interested to try one. Also, I would be worried about artificial ingredients including flavor enhancers and synthetic flavors.

I'll stick to either home made or canned. I don't want the packets.

Looks like they are as natural as I would expect from Knorr :rolleyes:

I buy organic powdered stocks/bouillons at the health food store. I usually use homemade stock (it's nearly free) and use the powder stuff for emergencies.

I've tried them. They're just barely okay, if you you're expectations are what they should be. Not intensely flavorful. And they are over-optimistic about how much stock they will make.

If you want to keep this sort of concentrated stock, try MoreThanGourmet. Their stocks are highly reduced actual stock. About the same size package. They also make demi-glaces that are equally genuine. And I keep their 1.5 ounce duck fat packets. Perfect for cooking for two, and duck fat is special. They also make 20X reduced veal stock, lamb stock, seafood, and venison stock that I haven't tried, but I would expect them to be good. And all their stuff is real reduced stock. I did not like their red wine sauce. Probably just a matter of personal taste, but I thought it too dark and heavy.

Classic French Stocks & Sauces | More Than Gourmet

Obviously, they're going to be more costly than Knorr, I buy off Amazon:
Amazon.com: More Than Gourmet: Grocery & Gourmet Food

For example, six pack of 1.5 ounce chicken stock reduction for $14.75. Sixteen ounce container Fond De Poulet Gold Chicken Stock for $22.92.

I did some part-time cooking at a bed and breakfast and one of the best recipes I learned was just your basic chicken stock. Salt was taboo.

I recently tried both the chicken and beef stocks and to me they have very little flavour or depth to them. I make all my own stock but occasionally have to resort to pre-made. I really wouldn't recommend these at all.
but but but Marco Pierre White sponsors them.........isnt it funny how famous chefs sell their Dovers for a few bob.:)

That cider cream sauce looks amazing.

By cider does he mean, the juice from pressed apples, or some kind of fermented cider product?

I bet that sauce would be fantastic just poured over pork chops.

That cider cream sauce looks amazing.

By cider does he mean, the juice from pressed apples, or some kind of fermented cider product?

I bet that sauce would be fantastic just poured over pork chops.

I'm pretty sure they mean fermented/alcoholic cider. The US (and Canada, according to Wikipedia, though I have never heard it used that way) seem to be the only places that refer to the non-alcoholic version as cider.

I'm not sure what the difference is between non-alcoholic cider and apple juice.

Back
Top Bottom