"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-27-2015, 07:24 PM   #101
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
What stores are near you Addie?
Try googling them to see if they carry it, rather than trying to hunt around in your scooter...
Thanks to both of you and will do. I think Market Basket just may carry it also. If they do I am definitely going to get me some.

If we get the snow that they say we are this week, my scooter will be parked until spring. Can't take it out with snow on the ground. I never know from block to block if the handicap access at each corner has been cleared. If not, I am stuck to drive it in the street until I find a corner with access. The law is very clear in Boston. You MUST shovel your sidewalk within so many hours after the snow stops and if you live near a handicap access you are required to shovel that as well. Good luck with that. Although it has been getting better each year. If you don't shovel, the city will do it and add the cost to your tax bill at the end of the year.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:42 PM   #102
Master Chef

kgirl, that lemon pie has me drooling. Andy, the pork ragu looks and sounds so good. I just re-read through this thread - I know I have so many recipes I want to try, now I want to go look through my 'to try' folder.
Thanks for reviving this, Kay.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:03 PM   #103
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Addie, take a look at Walmart too.
I've seen it many, many stores.
Folks think Walmart is everywhere. But not here in Boston. Spike has an account with Walmart and he goes up Route 107 about once a month. So I will have him look for me. Thanks for the idea.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:54 PM   #104
Master Chef

Kayelle, thanks for bumping this thread. I never noticed it when it was floating around the first time. Unfortunately, I've spent an inordinate amount of time reading it and clicking on all the recipes I'll never find time to make. Like many of you, I, too, have a list of recipes I'd like to try. My laptop folder is titled "Soon-to-be Dinners". Wishful thinking, the "soon" part.

I belong to a Facebook food group - just one, although it looks like there are scads of them. Anyway, there have been a couple of times someone has made a Portuguese dish called "Bacalao" that looks interesting. There are enough Portuguese decent people living around us that the local Market Basket carries the salted cod all of the time. After wandering around the interwebs, I've settled on two recipes that sound good - or at least pieces and parts of them. I'll probably cherry-pick the parts of each recipe that sound more appealing and come up with my own version. Hopefully I don't create a mess!

Bacalao a la Vizcaina (Basque Style Codfish Stew)

Seafood Stew that Reminds Us of Portugal

Addie, the three closest TS's near you:
TJ's Boston - Back Bay (510)
899 Boylston St

748 Memorial Dr
Cambridge, MA 02139

1317 Beacon St
Brookline, MA 02446

You need to make friends with Google. I found this in no time.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:14 AM   #105
Head Chef

I was searching for how to use smoked salmon for a buffet and came across this recipe which looks interesting and provides a healthier base. I may use creme fraiche instead of the yogurt.

Smoked Salmon & Cucumber Appetizer Recipe w/ Caper Yogurt | Cookin' Canuck
Old 12-28-2015, 09:09 AM   #106
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have to see where the closest one is to me. There are so many products they have that I have wanted to try. So far I only know of one out in Newton. At least an hour away by public transit. There has to be one in town with all the Yuppie condos that have gone up these past ten years or so. In town is only 20 minutes away on its slowest day.
is there a fresh pasta shop nearby?
Old 01-02-2016, 06:33 PM   #107
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
I created an entire board on my Pinterest just for this, recipes I want to try:
https://www.pinterest.com/auntiedoni...re-doing-this/
Well, I tried one the recipes from my Pinterest board, meh, it was not what I had my mouth all set for...

Click image for larger version

Name:	010.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	24103

Click image for larger version

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	24104

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/480900066440819667/

I was so excited when I pulled these babies from the hot box, let it cool and popped one in my mouth, quality control dontcha know... I was disappointed.
Although, I must say, I took these over to the neighbors for NYE cocktail party and they were gone in a heartbeat...
I pilled a Christmas Tray sky high with these bites and walked around the room with them, offering an appetizer to one and all, introducing myself... this gal asks me, "Are you the waitress? Dear, I'd really need another Gin and Tonic."
BAHAHA!
Old 01-02-2016, 07:28 PM   #108
Master Chef

Those sure do look good to me, kgirl.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:46 PM   #109
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post

Those sure do look good to me, kgirl.
Yeah, ya know Cheryl, I thought so too, but they're just missing something... dunno ... oh I know, I FORGOT to put in the 2 Garlic Cloves
no but, something else is missing, some recipes I've read for S-A dip call for sour cream and a pinch of cayenne or red pepper...
Old 01-02-2016, 08:24 PM   #110
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yeah, ya know Cheryl, I thought so too, but they're just missing something... dunno ... oh I know, I FORGOT to put in the 2 Garlic Cloves
no but, something else is missing, some recipes I've read for S-A dip call for sour cream and a pinch of cayenne or red pepper...
Oh yeah, a little bit of heat would perk them right up. They do look tasty

Tags
recipe