New Recipes I'd Like To Try

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a good idea for those who are trying to lose weight or have to watch their carbohydrate intake. I think I might have a word with Mr Amazon to see if there's something similar on there.

Hi and welcome to DC, by the way

EDIT: Hmm, Amazon UK has spiral cutters but at nearly £30 - roughly speaking that's $45 (gulp!) - I think I could probably do without one.
Thanks for the welcome mad cook. Yes, good for low carb or those on a diet. But ya know? It's just good for anyone... don't HAVE to be on a diet... maybe just like to eat healthy. I love my pasta, but always make too much (I think maybe accidentally on purpose), and eat it all! I paid $15 US for that Veggetti Spiralizer at a Bed, Bath & Beyond Store here.

Yesterday I watched an old episode of Julia and Jacques make potatoes. Jacques made a potato and onion casserole with chicken stock for the liquid. It look interesting. I think if I give the potatoes a head start in the microwave oven while I am slicing the onions it will cut down of the oven time. I love potatoes and onions. And you can never add too much garlic to anything.

I have seen that episode a few times before. But I never thought I wanted to try his recipe for the potato. I was always more interested in the standard scalloped one that Julia made. :angel:

This isn't so much a recipe as just discovering something new. If you haven't yet discovered veggie noodles, I highly recommend. I was standing in the checkout line at BB&B and the little veghetti spiralizer lured me in. That night I made zucchini noodles (or "zoodles") and had them with my home made Italian sauce and turkey meatballs. Next, it'll be lemon zoodles (fresh herbs, lemon, fresh garlic, white wine & a sprinkle of parm. with grilled shrimp and cherry tomatoes. There are only 3 small meatballs in that pic... I cut them in half.

I have one of these:

Spirooli® Spiral Slicer - BedBathandBeyond.ca

I use it to make this recipe:

Zucchini Spaghetti and Tomato Sauce - Steven and Chris

I also use it to make a zucchini slaw. I've never thought to use it to make onion spirals. I don't use it except during zucchini season. It spends most of its time in the basement in the dark.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 160
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 165
Now that looks absolutely scrumptious. :ohmy: :yum: Thank you for sharing, pac. I love grilled kebabs - next time I will get some chorizo and pair them with the chicken. Lovely!

Thank you for the nice comment, Cheryl.
I like kebabs... now. I never really cared for them before, but the combination of meats and seasonings in this one is going to put it in roation. I'll cut and freeze the chorizo and chicken in single kebab portions.

Not a challenge, just a reminder to keep on topic...if you would like to go off, the Off Topic Forum is at your service.

oops, could someone delete my post from last night?
I just realized that it's OT, since it's not a recipe I haven't tried anymore :wacko::LOL::angel:

Rhubarb pie was a success! It's official I like rhubarb pie!

SG1L0135.JPG

The method in the recipe seemed to work well. You take your sugar and flour, and mix them together, put a portion of the sugar and flour on the bottom, place the cut rhubarb on top of that then the rest of the flour/sugar mixture and dot with butter, place on the top crust. Seemed to keep the rhubarb from releasing it's moisture too soon and kept the bottom crust from getting soft and gummy.

Fresh Rhubarb Pie Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Last edited:
I haven't had rhubarb since I was a kid. And I loved it then. But I like that trick of putting some of the sugar/flour on the bottom crust. I usually brush with an egg and let it air dry before I put in the filling. Do you think it would work with blueberry pie? A family favorite. But like you, I hate it when it is runny. :angel:

I haven't had rhubarb since I was a kid. And I loved it then. But I like that trick of putting some of the sugar/flour on the bottom crust. I usually brush with an egg and let it air dry before I put in the filling. Do you think it would work with blueberry pie? A family favorite. But like you, I hate it when it is runny. :angel:

I think that it would, it seems well suited to juicy fillings.

I make my peach pie from a Cook's Illustrated recipe where I place the cut up peaches in a bowl with sugar, let them sit for at least 30 minutes and drain off the juice, add the cornstarch and a bit of the juice, and bake, no soupy pie.

I think that it would, it seems well suited to juicy fillings.

I make my peach pie from a Cook's Illustrated recipe where I place the cut up peaches in a bowl with sugar, let them sit for at least 30 minutes and drain off the juice, add the cornstarch and a bit of the juice, and bake, no soupy pie.

Thanks for the tip on peaches. I love juicy peaches, but to eat right off the tree. Not in a pie. I now have hope that no more runny pies. My favorite thing to make.

I have some cookie cutters that are Scandinavian in design. Someday I will get up the nerve to use them. They have a spring in them and I am not sure how to use them. They just looked interesting when I bought them. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom