New Recipes I'd Like To Try

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's another version of zucchini lasagna with zucchini being the 'noodles" that I want to try. A more traditional look. There have been some huge zucchinis in the garden. So big that I call them "zucchini on steroids". One of those would probably do it. Link to the recipe is below the image.

Zucchini Lasagna

This recipe caught my eye!

I gave it a try this morning and what a soupy mess it was! The taste was great so I decided to salvage it by pressing it under a layer of aluminum foil with a bread pan and a 12 inch cast iron skillet. I was able to press most of the excess liquid out. I will put a little fresh cheese on the top before I reheat it for dinner.

I'm wondering I could salt and drain the zucchini overnight in the refrigerator or maybe oven roast the zucchini "noodles" before assembling the dish to eliminate the moisture.

Any help would be appreciated!

...I'm wondering I could salt and drain the zucchini overnight in the refrigerator or maybe oven roast the zucchini "noodles" before assembling the dish to eliminate the moisture.

Any help would be appreciated!

After slicing the zucchini, sprinkle the slices with salt and let them sit for 30 minutes or so. I layer them in a glas baking dish and salt each layer. Then pat them dry with some paper towels. You should be OK.

After slicing the zucchini, sprinkle the slices with salt and let them sit for 30 minutes or so. I layer them in a glas baking dish and salt each layer. Then pat them dry with some paper towels. You should be OK.

Thanks, Andy!

I did that, maybe not long enough. I sliced them put them in a pyrex bowl with salt between each layer and then put another pyrex bowl on top of them. I probably only did it for about 10 minutes and then I drained them and blotted them dry. Next time I will give it an hour or so. If that does not work I may just smear the slices with tomato paste and let the zucchini liquid mix with the paste to form a sauce. I think the recipe is definitely worth a couple more tries.

Last edited:
Aunt Bea, not quite the same, but wondering if it might work with zukes. I salt my sliced cukes and onions with kosher salt and ice for freezer pickles for several hours, then rinse and drain REALLY well in a colander, otherwise they're too salty. They turn out really crisp.

Last edited:
Most everybody knows I don't bake but when I saw this I just might. I have an abundance of super thin skin Meyer lemons on my tree and the thought of using the whole thing interests me. I'm lazy too.

Lazy Mary's Lemon Tart recipe on Food52.com

Glory be, Kayelle! Thanks to the bumped thread, I see you posted this last year -- wish I'd seen it then. I love the recipe; I only found it recently. Meyers must be out of season now -- our local Publix had them for a while back during the summer but don't any more. I'd never try this with regular lemons, so I'll just have to wait to make it the second time.

A recipe that I'd like to try for the first time is called Hungarian Horns, with a yeast dough and nut filling. Maybe for this Christmas. I clipped it from some newspaper 20+ years ago, so I think it would be safe to post it if anyone is interested.

Glory be, Kayelle! Thanks to the bumped thread, I see you posted this last year -- wish I'd seen it then. I love the recipe; I only found it recently. Meyers must be out of season now -- our local Publix had them for a while back during the summer but don't any more. I'd never try this with regular lemons, so I'll just have to wait to make it the second time.

A recipe that I'd like to try for the first time is called Hungarian Horns, with a yeast dough and nut filling. Maybe for this Christmas. I clipped it from some newspaper 20+ years ago, so I think it would be safe to post it if anyone is interested.

Lizzie, my Meyer's are almost all yellow on the tree now, and will be perfect around Christmas. They don't commercially ship well, so I'm glad you can find them. Yes, I'll make the tart again too. :chef: They also make outstanding lemon bars..even I will bake with Meyer lemons.

I just saw this....wow, now this sounds wonderful too..

http://food52.com/recipes/4185-aunt-mariah-s-lemon-sponge-cups

Last edited:
Thanks for bumping and for thinking of me, Kay! I just showed that lamb recipe to DH - he said, "I'd eat it." :LOL: I've bookmarked it. I have several pounds of frozen tomatillos from the garden. I think, though, that instead of straining the veggies out of the sauce, I'd purée it all together so we can eat them ;)

Here's another I bookmarked recently. It's also low carb.

http://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/honey-soy-glazed-salmon-veggies-oranges

Last edited:
I do too, but...but...but...:LOL: how do you follow a recipe while you're actually making it? I'm old fashioned enough to like to have the paper copy in front of me and write on it when I need to. Or let it get splattered on. lol :)

I immediately use the copy and paste onto a Word Document. I then make any changes to the format. The first thing I do is change the Font to one I can easily read and in a size that is consistent with other recipes. I always underline and Bold the name of the recipe in the center of the page. To the left, if it is a recipe that requires it go into the oven, I put "Preheat oven to ...."

The Ingredients then list them in the order they are added to the recipe. If some of the ingredients are to be added later, I leave a space between the first ones and the one to be done later. Such as a cake. Dry ingredients, space, then the wet ones.

Next comes the Directions. Each step is numbered. Sometimes the author has a couple of steps combined. I separate the steps completely.

It goes into my recipe file to the one that covers it. Desserts, Main Dishes, Salads, etc.

If I don't do it when I first see the recipe, I may forget it and never go back to it until I need it. then I can't find it.

Every so often I look through my recipe file and clean house. A recipe looked good when I first read it, but not so much now. So I delete it.

If I decide to make the recipe, I use one of these after I have printed it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Architec-RR3R...&qid=1451256125&sr=8-1&keywords=recipe+holder

I love it. I need all my counter space. And this fits the bill perfectly. :angel:

Last edited:
Thanks for bumping and for thinking of me, Kay! I just showed that lamb recipe to DH - he said, "I'd eat it." :LOL: I've bookmarked it. I have several pounds of frozen tomatillos from the garden. I think, though, that instead of straining the veggies out of the sauce, I'd purée it all together so we can eat them ;)

Here's another I bookmarked recently. It's also low carb.

Honey-Soy-Glazed Salmon with Veggies and Oranges Recipe | MyRecipes.com Mobile

That looks great and thanks GG!

Once more, with the post after yours, someone needs to be reminded again to stay on topic with this thread. :rolleyes:

I created an entire board on my Pinterest just for this, recipes I want to try:
https://www.pinterest.com/auntiedoni/are-you-kidding-me-were-doing-this/

Lemon Impossible Pie – Lovefoodies
Lemon-Impossible-Pie-7.jpg
Remember Impossible pies?

I clipped this recipe from Food52 the other day. Some time back I tried a recipe from Giada diLaurentiis for a shot rib ragu. It was fantastic so when I came across this one I had to see it for a future try.

Sounds good to me.

Genius Pork Shoulder Ragu (a.k.a. The Instant Dinner Party)

I have a silly question. I have made Pappardelle myself many times. But it is the one pasta I never see on the grocery shelf. Does any company make such a pasta? Or do you have to make it at home yourself each time? It is a really easy pasta to make so I don't consider it work. It is one of my favorite pastas. :angel:

I have a silly question. I have made Pappardelle myself many times. But it is the one pasta I never see on the grocery shelf. Does any company make such a pasta? Or do you have to make it at home yourself each time? It is a really easy pasta to make so I don't consider it work. It is one of my favorite pastas. :angel:

Addie, I've found Pappardelle at Trader Joe's ;)

Addie, I've found Pappardelle at Trader Joe's ;)

I have to see where the closest one is to me. There are so many products they have that I have wanted to try. So far I only know of one out in Newton. At least an hour away by public transit. There has to be one in town with all the Yuppie condos that have gone up these past ten years or so. In town is only 20 minutes away on its slowest day. :angel:

Addie,

Look for Delverde in your Italian specialty stores.

Pasta Delverde - PRODUCTS

Back
Top Bottom