"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-01-2014, 08:49 AM   #81
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMlr View Post
Here's another version of zucchini lasagna with zucchini being the 'noodles" that I want to try. A more traditional look. There have been some huge zucchinis in the garden. So big that I call them "zucchini on steroids". One of those would probably do it. Link to the recipe is below the image.

Zucchini Lasagna
This recipe caught my eye!

I gave it a try this morning and what a soupy mess it was! The taste was great so I decided to salvage it by pressing it under a layer of aluminum foil with a bread pan and a 12 inch cast iron skillet. I was able to press most of the excess liquid out. I will put a little fresh cheese on the top before I reheat it for dinner.

I'm wondering I could salt and drain the zucchini overnight in the refrigerator or maybe oven roast the zucchini "noodles" before assembling the dish to eliminate the moisture.

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 12-01-2014, 08:53 AM   #82
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
...I'm wondering I could salt and drain the zucchini overnight in the refrigerator or maybe oven roast the zucchini "noodles" before assembling the dish to eliminate the moisture.

Any help would be appreciated!

After slicing the zucchini, sprinkle the slices with salt and let them sit for 30 minutes or so. I layer them in a glas baking dish and salt each layer. Then pat them dry with some paper towels. You should be OK.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #83
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
After slicing the zucchini, sprinkle the slices with salt and let them sit for 30 minutes or so. I layer them in a glas baking dish and salt each layer. Then pat them dry with some paper towels. You should be OK.
Thanks, Andy!

I did that, maybe not long enough. I sliced them put them in a pyrex bowl with salt between each layer and then put another pyrex bowl on top of them. I probably only did it for about 10 minutes and then I drained them and blotted them dry. Next time I will give it an hour or so. If that does not work I may just smear the slices with tomato paste and let the zucchini liquid mix with the paste to form a sauce. I think the recipe is definitely worth a couple more tries.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #84
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

New Recipes I'd Like To Try

Aunt Bea, not quite the same, but wondering if it might work with zukes. I salt my sliced cukes and onions with kosher salt and ice for freezer pickles for several hours, then rinse and drain REALLY well in a colander, otherwise they're too salty. They turn out really crisp.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #85
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Most everybody knows I don't bake but when I saw this I just might. I have an abundance of super thin skin Meyer lemons on my tree and the thought of using the whole thing interests me. I'm lazy too.

Lazy Mary's Lemon Tart recipe on Food52.com
Glory be, Kayelle! Thanks to the bumped thread, I see you posted this last year -- wish I'd seen it then. I love the recipe; I only found it recently. Meyers must be out of season now -- our local Publix had them for a while back during the summer but don't any more. I'd never try this with regular lemons, so I'll just have to wait to make it the second time.

A recipe that I'd like to try for the first time is called Hungarian Horns, with a yeast dough and nut filling. Maybe for this Christmas. I clipped it from some newspaper 20+ years ago, so I think it would be safe to post it if anyone is interested.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:07 PM   #86
Head Chef

Before someone points out that it says 'new recipes,' -- well, it's new to me.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #87
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Glory be, Kayelle! Thanks to the bumped thread, I see you posted this last year -- wish I'd seen it then. I love the recipe; I only found it recently. Meyers must be out of season now -- our local Publix had them for a while back during the summer but don't any more. I'd never try this with regular lemons, so I'll just have to wait to make it the second time.

A recipe that I'd like to try for the first time is called Hungarian Horns, with a yeast dough and nut filling. Maybe for this Christmas. I clipped it from some newspaper 20+ years ago, so I think it would be safe to post it if anyone is interested.
Lizzie, my Meyer's are almost all yellow on the tree now, and will be perfect around Christmas. They don't commercially ship well, so I'm glad you can find them. Yes, I'll make the tart again too. They also make outstanding lemon bars..even I will bake with Meyer lemons.

I just saw this....wow, now this sounds wonderful too..

http://food52.com/recipes/4185-aunt-...on-sponge-cups

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 02:47 PM   #88
Master Chef

Thought I'd bump this thread up once again. There's some really great reading, and I just came across a most interesting recipe I want to try. I specifically was thinking of GG who grows her own tomatillo's. Good golly this sounds great for this lamb lover..and it's low carb!
Lamb Stew with Tomatillos Recipe | D'Artagnan

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:29 PM   #89
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for bumping and for thinking of me, Kay! I just showed that lamb recipe to DH - he said, "I'd eat it." I've bookmarked it. I have several pounds of frozen tomatillos from the garden. I think, though, that instead of straining the veggies out of the sauce, I'd purée it all together so we can eat them

Here's another I bookmarked recently. It's also low carb.

http://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/ho...eggies-oranges
Old 12-27-2015, 05:50 PM   #90
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I do too, but...but...but... how do you follow a recipe while you're actually making it? I'm old fashioned enough to like to have the paper copy in front of me and write on it when I need to. Or let it get splattered on. lol
I immediately use the copy and paste onto a Word Document. I then make any changes to the format. The first thing I do is change the Font to one I can easily read and in a size that is consistent with other recipes. I always underline and Bold the name of the recipe in the center of the page. To the left, if it is a recipe that requires it go into the oven, I put "Preheat oven to ...."

The Ingredients then list them in the order they are added to the recipe. If some of the ingredients are to be added later, I leave a space between the first ones and the one to be done later. Such as a cake. Dry ingredients, space, then the wet ones.

Next comes the Directions. Each step is numbered. Sometimes the author has a couple of steps combined. I separate the steps completely.

It goes into my recipe file to the one that covers it. Desserts, Main Dishes, Salads, etc.

If I don't do it when I first see the recipe, I may forget it and never go back to it until I need it. then I can't find it.

Every so often I look through my recipe file and clean house. A recipe looked good when I first read it, but not so much now. So I delete it.

If I decide to make the recipe, I use one of these after I have printed it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Architec-RR3R-...=recipe+holder

I love it. I need all my counter space. And this fits the bill perfectly.

Tags
recipe