"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

I suppose taking a class or having someone teach you would be ideal, but I don't think it's necessary. I am just learning to cook after years of eating sandwiches and frozen dinners. I don't have anyone to learn from, but I think I'm getting pretty good at it.

My tips: watch cooking shows a lot. You start to recognize basic techniques, what goes with what, etc. There are also a lot of YouTube videos of cooking demos. I also like to read cookbooks and forums like this one.

As a beginner cook, I don't think you need to spend a ton of money on supplies. I would suggest investing in one really good chef's knife (after using a "real" knife, you'll wonder how you ever used anything else.) Of course, a set of really quality cookware would be nice, but it's pretty costly. That's something you might want to buy one piece at a time.

Lastly, I applaud you for wanting to be a renaissance man! As a single woman, I can tell you that's exactly what most of us are looking for.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:27 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to TheProphecy Send a message via MSN to TheProphecy Send a message via Yahoo to TheProphecy
wow willow, i really never thought of even watching the food channel/any other cooking channel. what channels are there?

Old 02-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProphecy View Post
wow willow, i really never thought of even watching the food channel/any other cooking channel. what channels are there?
I always recommend watching The Food Network, one channel available on cable. You might check your local listings to see if PBS has anything but FN is only on satellite and cable. They have great chefs as well as a website that does have some videos available. Food Network - Easy Recipes, Healthy Eating Ideas and Chef Recipe Videos : Food Network
Old 02-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #14
Master Chef

Food Network has some cooking shows, and Fine Living Network has picked up some that used to be on the Food network - these are both cable only as far as I know.

ION Life channel is an over-the-air digital broadcast station - they have 3 cooking shows (I really like the Urban Peasant).

PBS is another good free option - what programs they carry will depend on your local PBS station ... around here our PBS station has a block of cooking shows on Saturday morning and then another 2-3 hours later in the afternoon. When lived in Denver the PBS station up there had an hour of cooking shows every night plus some on Saturday. You'll just have to see what your PBS station carries, and when.

Just because PBS is free doesn't mean it doesn't have some quality cooking shows.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:34 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProphecy View Post
In addition to the channels suggested, it also looks like The Food Network offers full episodes of some shows on their website.