New to cooking, need ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

digitman

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I've just moved out of my parents and for the first time I'm learning to cook on my own. The problem is I don't know what to make! For the last 4 days I've been cooking and eating boiled rice with stir-fried chicken breasts and sweet and sour sauce. However, I can't think of anything else other than just using a different sauce! Anyone got any ideas?

P.S I'm not a vegetable fan so I don't like to make salads.

Do you have an outdoor grill yet? Here's what I'd do!

If not, I'd get one! You can start off with a good ole charcoal model, they are cheap and cook some say better than fancy 800 dollar gas ones.

After you secure a grill, start learning to cook a good steak. It will take some practice to learn how to get one done the way you like it, but usually your mistakes are edible. Once you get the cooking down on some cheaper cuts of meat, go find a good butcher shop and order up some fresh cut fillet's or t-bone's or something.

There is nothing like grilling, and making some simple sides, mashed potatoes, corn, etc, and a good steak. And if its only cooking for you right now, its not to expensive either.

Have fun!

Hey mate,

Thanks, that sounds like a great idea. I do have an oven in my house and it says a 'Grilling' option on the dial (where the temperature and timer controls etc are). Can that be used as a grill?

you could make pizzas with refrigerated pre-made dough.
or you could make yourself a hoagie, soup, baked cassersoles like macaroni & cheese...
invest in a cookbook with basic recipes. after you're familiar with cooking, you can vary these recipes.

We are in the process of teaching our son how to cook. He actually enjoys making a recipe we do called chicken "Mozambique" and it's spicy, no veggies in it - recipe can be found at Mozambique. He also likes hot open turkey and roast beef sandwiches. Also, if you like meat, look up AskAButcher's Burger Dogs recipe on here. They were simple, filling, and absolutely delicious!!!

How about some pasta?
Angel Hair Pasta With Lemon and Chicken,

(9-oz.) Angel Hair Pasta

1/3 cup butter, melted

2 Tbs lemon juice

1 Tbs chopped fresh parsley

1/4 tsp crushed dried marjoram

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1 cup cooked diced chicken ( pre warm)

boil your pasta until tender

Mix noodles with the butter, lemon juice, parsley,

marjoram and garlic powder; add chicken.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Just get a cookbook or something from the library, open, cook!
When I cant think of anything thats what I do. Or close my eyes and point.
Or watch Food Network. Then you'll have too many ideas!!

You can always call your Mom on dishes she made - my son calls me all the time - he is doing so good, and proud of him. Love it when he calls for help - needs me again !!

Hi, digitman. Welcome to DC. You've come to the right place for advice.

Yes, by all means, go to your local library and look at the cookbook selection. That's a great place to start. Especially look in the sections of the cookbook that have recipes for foods you are fond of.

Also, check out your grocery store for ideas. If you have a Wal-Mart in your area, you'll find they have free recipes. The meat, seafood and produce departments have little racks with recipe cards for foods in those sections. Not only will you get some good recipes, you'll also learn a little about the foods in those parts of the store. Some of our favorite dishes have come from those nice little recipe cards.

Another place to get information is your local university extension service. They have an agent who can assist you with food handling, choices, recipes. How do I know? I used to teach several food courses. Plus, they're free. What a deal!

As to the grill, yes you can use that as a grill for the steak but you would be better using a frypan on the top of the stove. The poster was referring to a grill where the flames/heat comes from below like a bbq grill. You won't get the same results from using the oven grill with a steak and you do risk stewing it if you don't know what you are doing.

Learn how to make savoury mince (beef mince, some water, seasonings like garlic, S&P, Worcestershire sauce and any vegetables that you do like all cooked together in a pot, mixing regularly until mince is cooked) cos then you can make tacos, spaghetti, mince on toast, put it in some puff pastry for a pie, top with mashed potato and bake for a Cottage Pie, top a jacket potato (prick washed potato all over, put in microwave for a couple of mins, then turn over and cook for a similar time until soft) with the mince, and top with some tomato sauce and cheese.

Get a fish fillet and put it in a freezer bag that you have put some flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder and dried tarragon. Shake the bag until the fillet is coated. Put a fry pan on low heat and put a good dob of butter in. When the butter has melted, put the fish fillet in. When the fish colour on its side has started to change to opaque, turn it over and continue to cook for a minute or so, depending on the thickness of the fillet. Remove from pan, remembering that the fish will continue cooking. If you want a sauce for the fish, deglaze the pan by pouring a splash of wine, sherry, verjuice or apple cider vinegar into the pan, turn up to high and mix the liquid with the pan juices and and crispy bits in the pan. Remove from heat and pour in a splash of cream, mixing well and pour over your fish. You can then serve the fish with chips/potato or anything else you desire.

HTH

Manly Food

Pan on the stove, med-high heat.

Add Johnsonville Original brats and continue to cook until slightly brown on both sides.

Lower heat to medium.

Add 1 sliced onion and cook until slightly transparent.

Add 1 1/2 of your favorite beer. Down the other 1/2.;)

Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. Then remove cover and continue to cook for 5-10 minutes.

Get some decent hotdog rolls. Spread on some spicy brown mustard, insert brat and top with some of the onions.

Check out the COOKING LINKS near the top of this page. There are enough links to recipes there to keep you cooking for the rest of your life.

IMO the best source of cooking ideas is the internet. I think that it is important to recognize quality indredients at the store, If they look good, buy some, then look for ideas on the internet. If it looks interesting, try it. If you think it might be better if slightly changed, do it. Don't be intimidated. The worst that can happen is that you have go out to eat. You would have done that if you had not tried, and, you will not have learned anything. It is also a good idea to make friends with the best food and wine purveyers in your area. They are in business to help you. Who knows, if you had fresh veggies, well prepared, you might decide that you like them. You are on the right track, a desire to learn, and checking out the cooking forums.

Back
Top Bottom