"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller View Post
I've had a 10" skillet for a few years. But maybe I am missing something. Tips?
No, you probably got it down then.
When you said it was new to you, I figured you meant it was your first CI ever and they take a little bit of getting used to coming from regular pans.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
No, you probably got it down then.
When you said it was new to you, I figured you meant it was your first CI ever and they take a little bit of getting used to coming from regular pans.
They sure do! And the most important thing I believe is the cleaning and care of them after each use. I've found that if I take them right from the stove top and rinse them in hot water they pretty much wipe out very easily.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #13
Master Chef

Please feel free to scrub them with soap when needed after they are seasoned. And use them on your ceramic stove.

Let's clip the wives tails in their tracks.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Please feel free to scrub them with soap when needed after they are seasoned. And use them on your ceramic stove.

Let's clip the wives tails in their tracks.
When do they need to be scrubbed with soap? I've only mine on a ceramic cooktop. It's ok as long as you don't drop the pans. And 2 hands at all times on the big 15" skillet over the cooktop.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Man, I have abused my cast iron pans...burned food in them, boiled them clean, scrubbed them with soapy water...can't hurt 'em. I just picked up a third Wagner 9" chefs skillet, this one rusty in some spots and crusted with carbon in others. Put it in a pot of water with some vinegar and boiled it for an hour, scrubbed it with a choreboy and scraped a little, dried it, oiled and baked it and it's better'n new. Fried eggs and omelets just slide around in it like nobody's business. As long as you know how to clean and cure CI, it is very forgiving. I mean, it's cast iron.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks
Man, I have abused my cast iron pans...burned food in them, boiled them clean, scrubbed them with soapy water...can't hurt 'em. I just picked up a third Wagner 9" chefs skillet, this one rusty in some spots and crusted with carbon in others. Put it in a pot of water with some vinegar and boiled it for an hour, scrubbed it with a choreboy and scraped a little, dried it, oiled and baked it and it's better'n new. Fried eggs and omelets just slide around in it like nobody's business. As long as you know how to clean and cure CI, it is very forgiving. I mean, it's cast iron.
You are so right! I have taken a CI pan that was completely rusted and brought it back to life! I also had a pan that was well seasoned for years and one of the kids put it in the dishwasher! :(. It was way too clean, but came back to life and is as good as it was before.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
hope you've cleaned & seasoned the sleeping bags too!
The sleeping bags were new in the plastic!