"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-18-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
Cook
 
Chrissy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 90
Smile New Ways To Enjoy Chicken?

I really love chicken, but that's the only kind of meat I enjoy eating and I think I'm becoming rather tired of it. What are some healthy and delicious ways I can cook chicken other than grilling it?

I am new to cooking and need all the help I can get please :)

__________________

__________________
Chrissy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Admiral of the Texas Navy
 
forty_caliber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 3,412
Our favorite is smoked chicken. The teenagers won't eat legs or thighs so we usually just buy split breasts.

When I get them home, I remove all of the skin and use shears to remove all of the fat I can. Then, drizzle with olive oil and generously apply a spice mixture. Almost anything works. Salt and Pepper, lemon pepper, poultry seasoning, cajun seasoning, or a traditional BBQ rub.

Place in rib rack with the thickest part at the bottom. I always insert a temperature probe at this point as well.

Any indirect smoker setup will work. I use a Traeger.

Smoke at low temperature 185 degrees for 3 hours. Increase temp to 300 for the last hour or until internal temp reaches 180 degrees.

.40
__________________

__________________
"I must say as to what I have seen of Texas it is the garden spot of the world. The best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here."
Davy Crockett, 1836
forty_caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
Admiral of the Texas Navy
 
forty_caliber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 3,412
Here is another one of our favorites

CornFlake Chicken

.40
__________________
"I must say as to what I have seen of Texas it is the garden spot of the world. The best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here."
Davy Crockett, 1836
forty_caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 415
Hi Chrissy!

Try our Chicken In The Pot - this is typical Indian food that is easy to make providing you set out all the ingredients accordingly. Don't worry - put the spices in little saucers, the onion and the garlic in another.. rustling up Indian food then becomes far easier to manage than you could imagine.
Serves 4

2 tablespoons sunflower oil
2 teaspoons cumin seed
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
250g / 8 ounces fresh tomatoes, peel-blanched
OR, 225g / 8 ounces of canned tomatoes, blended until smooth in a food processor
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely chopped
2 green chillies, finely chopped including seeds
1.5 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons garam masala (you can buy it ready-made)
2 generous handfuls fresh coriander, chopped
4 large chicken thighs, skinned
3 spring (green) onions (2 will do), finely chopped

Heat oil in large pan, add the cumin seed and when sizzling, the onion and garlic.

Fry until golden brown.

Remove from the heat, add the tomato, ginger, chillies, salt, turmeric, garam masala and about half the fresh coriander.

Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture separates out from the oil and thickens slightly. It is important that the oil separates.

Add the chicken and stir-fry for a few minutes, coating each piece with the sauce.

Add some boiling water just to cover, and bring to the boil. Then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

Remove the lid, raise the heat and thicken the sauce for 5 minutes.

Garnish with spring onion and the remainder of the coriander.
__________________
Linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
Cook
 
Chrissy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 90
Smoked chicken sounds really good! I love cajun seasoning! I need to try this. :)

Do you cook blackened chicken? If so, do you have a good recipe for ? I've had it at restaurants and it seems to have so much flavor with the spices they use. What kind of spices would I use for this?
__________________
Chrissy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:19 PM   #6
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 415
Not sure, but I think blackened chicken is similar to Cajun
__________________
Linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #7
Cook
 
Chrissy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux View Post
Hi Chrissy!

Try our Chicken In The Pot - this is typical Indian food that is easy to make providing you set out all the ingredients accordingly. Don't worry - put the spices in little saucers, the onion and the garlic in another.. rustling up Indian food then becomes far easier to manage than you could imagine.
Serves 4

2 tablespoons sunflower oil
2 teaspoons cumin seed
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
250g / 8 ounces fresh tomatoes, peel-blanched
OR, 225g / 8 ounces of canned tomatoes, blended until smooth in a food processor
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely chopped
2 green chillies, finely chopped including seeds
1.5 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons garam masala (you can buy it ready-made)
2 generous handfuls fresh coriander, chopped
4 large chicken thighs, skinned
3 spring (green) onions (2 will do), finely chopped

Heat oil in large pan, add the cumin seed and when sizzling, the onion and garlic.

Fry until golden brown.

Remove from the heat, add the tomato, ginger, chillies, salt, turmeric, garam masala and about half the fresh coriander.

Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture separates out from the oil and thickens slightly. It is important that the oil separates.

Add the chicken and stir-fry for a few minutes, coating each piece with the sauce.

Add some boiling water just to cover, and bring to the boil. Then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

Remove the lid, raise the heat and thicken the sauce for 5 minutes.

Garnish with spring onion and the remainder of the coriander.
Wow thank you! I'd love to add red pepper to this to make it a little spicy. :)
__________________
Chrissy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
Admiral of the Texas Navy
 
forty_caliber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 3,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy13 View Post
Smoked chicken sounds really good! I love cajun seasoning! I need to try this. :)

Do you cook blackened chicken? If so, do you have a good recipe for ? I've had it at restaurants and it seems to have so much flavor with the spices they use. What kind of spices would I use for this?
Blackening chicken is really easy. Heat a cast iron skillet to BLAZING hot (read surface of the sun).

Prepare the chicken with olive oil drizzle and cover in cajun spice. Place in hot skillet to brown / blacken the spice. Remove to 350 oven to finish cooking. My cajun relations always serve this over pasta alfredo.

.40
__________________
"I must say as to what I have seen of Texas it is the garden spot of the world. The best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here."
Davy Crockett, 1836
forty_caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy13 View Post
Wow thank you! I'd love to add red pepper to this to make it a little spicy. :)
Red pepper sounds pretty alright, but just be careful when handling the chillies.
__________________
Linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #10
Cook
 
Chrissy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 90
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
Blackening chicken is really easy. Heat a cast iron skillet to BLAZING hot (read surface of the sun).

Prepare the chicken with olive oil drizzle and cover in cajun spice. Place in hot skillet to brown / blacken the spice. Remove to 350 oven to finish cooking. My cajun relations always serve this over pasta alfredo.

.40
That does sound easy thanks! I don't need to add any other spices? Will the cajun spice give the chicken all the flavor it needs?
__________________

__________________
Chrissy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.