New Years Kitchen resolutions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adillo303

Head Chef
Hope I am not in the frong forum, If I am please move me.

The Chutney thread got me thinking. My cooking is much improved since comming to DC. I have been thinking abut what areas that I want to focus on a bit and improve on.

I can make a pretty good meal for company, In January I will learn is I can trun out party goodies or not. With all of this said, I make my lunch, and DW's every day and I am finding that I have become regimentd. I am also not the most inventive person with weekday meals. I am thinking about "making ahead". I have not doen much of this. I am looking for basic mixtures that be made up possibly in bulk and frozen. When meal time rolls around, they can be the basis for a meal, maybe served over potatos or pasta or rice, combined with quict to fix other things.

anyway, that is my thought for areas to improve. So, what are you thinking of doing in th comming year that you have not done before, tried and failed at or just want to explore new territory?

Best of the holidays.

AC

There are a few things that I always keep in my freezer. Marinara sauce (from scratch of course), 3 cup bags of browned ground beef (add to marinara for meat sauce, for sloppy joes, tacos), peeled shrimp (it helps that during a strong south wind you can smell the Gulf of Mexico from my parent’s house), bags of 6 preseasoned pork chops, and premade hamburger patties. One of the best things I ever bought was a vacuum sealer machine. I premake salad fixings and put them in the large container. They will easily last a week. Do not preadd cucumbers or avocados. Chicken Breast that are prefroze so that they come apart. You can precook a few of them at a time, and then cut them on the salad, make a sandwich, or eat them alone with some steamed veggies.

I only have one: eat more veggies, eat less meat. That's my story, I'm sticking with it!

Adillo... I rely on frozen portions of food often as I like to eat a good home cooked meal but don't always want/have time to cook after work. I find that dishes that reheat best are stewed or slow cooked these seem to hold texture best... and yes it makes a big difference to cook the starches fresh as they dont freeze great. Things like beef bourgenion (sp?) Chicken Montecino, traditional italian sunday sauce, etc defrost and reheat really well.

My own culinary/dietary goals:

I am trying shop to use as many whole grain products as possible... ie whole wheat pasta, brown rice, multi grain breads

I would like to work on reduction sauces and gravies this is not an area where I have tremendous success in the kitchen

I would also like to be more budget minded shopping smarter

I want to learn how to use different/unusual ingredients. I also want to get a sous-vide setup going.

1. I want to paint my kitchen and get new sinks and counter tops.
2. As for cooking, I want to get back to my cookbooks and so that means more experimental time in the kitchen
3. I would like in January start decorations for all my wedding cakes in the spring and summer or I will be too rushed when the time comes. Don't worry, they are pure sugar and will keep....for years!

1. I always say I'm going to try one new recipe a week... and then fall back on all my favorites. I'd like to stick to trying new things.

2. I want to drive to Laurie's house and get a few lessons on cake decorating and cookie making!!

3. I want to learn to make more sauces and improve my baking skills

I want to spend more time in the kitchen baking, cooking and experimenting.

I want to get over my lack of confindence issues

I should get a part tiem job in a pro kitchen to get my feet wetter

I need to make more of an effort to make a loaf of crusty bread at least every other week.

I'm thinking that I need to work less and cook at home more. But I am afraid that is not going to happened, unless I loose my job, G-d forbid.

Ideally redo my kitchen, unfortunately, im not sure my pocketbook will cooperate :) so the more realistic goal, is to go to more food festivals than last year , so I can pick up some new ideas, experiences and ingredients. Still hoping for the new kitchen though.

Back
Top Bottom