New Year's traditions (if any)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoot

Executive Chef
Moderator Emeritus
Happy New year to my D.C. family!!!
I was wonderin' if any of you have traditions of certain foods to eat on New Year's Day.
Here at Casa de Hoot, we have always had hoppin' john and pork (cooked in various methods over the years).
Since we lost Mom, it has fallen to me to decide the menu.
I am planning to make my version of hoppin' john. The difference is fresh jalapeños and home canned tomatoes versus Rotel(which my mother was fond of).
Mrs Hoot wants a boston butt roast with sauerkraut.
I reckon so.

Last edited:
No hard and fast traditions here. Often it would be homemade pizza. My dough recipe usually makes 3 half sheet pans of pizza. We would have 2 on Christmas and save one for New Years. Now that the kids are grown, it's too much pizza for DH and me. I do try to have something special though. This year it's cocktail shrimps.

no food traditions - usually clean up leftovers
but every new years day - I am up very early -- house get D-christmas and put away -and house - refridge - stove - totally cleaned for the new year.
Fresh start !!!

The only tradition that I have is GOTTA eat black-eyed peas. Just what was always done ever since I was a little kid.
This year, however, I am really consideriing changing that though. Like a doofus, I forgot all about them & realized this at 8:30 pm last night. Hopped into the car, & went straight to the store. I already knew what I was going to find...NOTHING! Not ONE stinking bag ANYWHERE! Evidentely, my entire town set-out to sabotage my New Year tradition!! *shakes fist* I then found about 10 cans of "seasoned" ones. I bought 2 of them. I dunno why though. I like dried peas, not canned ones, &,..that seasoning is making me "iffy".
So, I'm just sitting here looking at these 2 cans, &, they are just staring right back at me. What-to-do, oh, what-to-do....

Last edited:
The only tradition that I have is GOTTA eat black-eyed peas. Just what was always done ever since I was a little kid.
This year, however, I am really consideriing changing that though. Like a doofus, I forgot all about them & realized this at 8:30 pm last night. Hopped into the car, & went straight to the store. I already knew what I was going to find...NOTHING! Not ONE stinking bag ANYWHERE! Evidentely, my entire town set-out to sabotage my New Year tradition!! *shakes fist* I then found about 10 cans of "seasoned" ones. I bought 2 of them. I dunno why though. I like dried peas, not canned ones, &,..that seasoning is making me "iffy".
So, I'm just sitting here looking at these 2 cans, &, they are just staring right back at me. What-to-do, oh, what-to-do....

What brand? There are some really good canned peas out there. Warm them up, toss in some fried bacon pieces or ham...tasty!:)

I never had a Tradition until I met Shrek...now it's butter beans and ham. Or Black-eyed Peas and Ham or Just ham....

Also, he watches football and I ignore it!

Sorry bout that, Merlot !! I'm cooking enough of the lill darlins to share. I was raised right here in California, but I had a southern mama who passed the tradition on to me. I don't like the canned ones either, actually I prefer the frozen BEP's but couldn't find them this year. I soaked the dried peas overnight. I'm cooking them with ham hocks, and will add a package of frozen collard greens too. You make the cornbread, and we'll set another bowl on the table for you. ;)
Welcome to DC !!

What brand? There are some really good canned peas out there. Warm them up, toss in some fried bacon pieces or ham...tasty!:)
Actually, w/a sour grimace on my face, I reluctantly forced myself to open up a can...:shock:....they are delicious!! I owe this Margret Holmes lady an apology for being so prejudice over her can label...(not that she cares much I think though - can says "great taste since 1838".:LOL: &, yes, I did "dr." them up a bit too w/onions & bacon(can't pass up a good chance to slip bacon into something)!:pig:

As for the butter beans, again, like you, I could have gone the rest of my life w/o ever seeing one again, let alone cook them, but, my DH adores them too! He likes his w/tomatoes & bacon in his - he calls them "country beans"...whatever,...I just cook them!! LOL

Sorry bout that, Merlot !! I'm cooking enough of the lill darlins to share. I was raised right here in California, but I had a southern mama who passed the tradition on to me. I don't like the canned ones either, actually I prefer the frozen BEP's but couldn't find them this year. I soaked the dried peas overnight. I'm cooking them with ham hocks, and will add a package of frozen collard greens too. You make the cornbread, and we'll set another bowl on the table for you. ;)
Welcome to DC !!
You had me at collards!:wub:, but adding on the cornbread, in ADDITION to my peas?? *off to get a plane ticket - see you soon* :LOL:

Actually, w/a sour grimace on my face, I reluctantly forced myself to open up a can...:shock:....they are delicious!! I owe this Margret Holmes lady an apology for being so prejudice over her can label...(not that she cares much I think though - can says "great taste since 1838".:LOL: &, yes, I did "dr." them up a bit too w/onions & bacon(can't pass up a good chance to slip bacon into something)!:pig:

As for the butter beans, again, like you, I could have gone the rest of my life w/o ever seeing one again, let alone cook them, but, my DH adores them too! He likes his w/tomatoes & bacon in his - he calls them "country beans"...whatever,...I just cook them!! LOL

I like the butter beans, but I like starting them from dried with a hamhock. Shrek is happy with a can of them and chopped ham thrown in.

I'm off to make some french toast for the Ogre...:LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom