No Bean Hot Dog Chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roll_Bones

Master Chef
I need a recipe or some ideas to make some chili for hot dogs.
I have ground beef, onions, peppers and other veggies that might work and I have everything to make regular chili.
Any help is appreciated.

Just make your regular hili reipe and eliminate the beans, and use a little tomato paste instead of canned tomatoes.

All the hot dog chili I have tasted did not taste like real chili.
It was a bit sweeter and did not seem to have any chili powder or cumin in it?
Maybe I should have asked for deep south, non chili tasting, chili for hot dogs!......LOL

I just used my regular chili recipe and then used the immersion blender to get to that hotdog chili consistency. I have three bags in the deep freeze.

I make something I call Coney Island sauce for hotdogs besides the chili. Lots of sauteed sliced sweet onions (2 large), 14.5 oz can of stewed tomatoes (crushed up or chopped up), minced fresh garlic, small size bottle of Crystal hot sauce or large if you want more heat and S&P.:yum:

Last edited:
I make a clone of Ted's Hot Dog Sauce that is really close to the original. I concocted the clone recipe before they started offering the real thing in bottles to go. I do save a substantial amount of money making my own. The ingredients are cheaper than their finished product, and shipping will kill you!

If you just want beanless chili for a hot dog or a chili size (open faced chili burger), just pick up a can of Hormel or Dennison's chili NO BEANS. It comes in regular and hot.

Last edited:
Or you go to the store and buy heinz chili sauce and add it to ground beef and onion.

That should get you close.

Thanks for all the ideas.
I ended up making a real easy no chop type meat sauce.

Browned the meat and drained, added tomato paste with water, dehydrated chopped onion, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, sugar, ketchup, squirt mustard and S&P.

Actually came out pretty good. It should be very good come time I use it. I made it because i had the meat defrosted and had to do something with it.

I have used leftover sloppy joe mix on hot dogs. It's funny. SJ's are good on their own, but lack pizazz on hot dogs. Maybe that's why they are called Chili Dogs. I like to add celery seed if it's chili dogs but not in chili served in a bowl.

I just use my homemade chili beans and all on my chili dogs all the way.

img_1368569_0_2a9abbb90336ac413d089cd46ee2284e.jpg

I made chili last night hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited:
I have a friend who sent me a few packs of Cincinnati chili seasoning. Not living anywhere near Cincinnati, I 'spect it is as close to the real thing as I am gonna get. It is, however, mighty good on hot dogs. Just my 2 cents.

Very close to what I made.
I watched a show once and the restaurant was famous for its chili cheese dogs.
The cook dumped about 20 pounds of hamburger into a very large stock pot. Added a gallon bag of (secret spices) and a measured amount of water.
That was it.

I figured since theirs was supposed to be so great, I would try using the same technique. I browned off the meat though and added what spices I figured would be good in it. Its good. I guess?
My wife and MIL loved it.
Maybe I pick up some hot dogs today and some buns?

All the hot dog chili I have tasted did not taste like real chili.
It was a bit sweeter and did not seem to have any chili powder or cumin in it?
Maybe I should have asked for deep south, non chili tasting, chili for hot dogs!......LOL

I was going to offer something, but if this is what you are used to then I can't help. The chili dogs I've had all tasted like chili, savory, not sweet, with plenty of chili powder.

I've never made hot dog chili, but I'd make my usual red chili, leave out the beans, and use more tomato paste to make it thicker to hold the hot dog. I'd also make it spicier (hot pepper) than any chili dog I've ever bought, but that's just what I prefer in chili.

This is my mom's recipe.

1 lb hamburger
1 pt. cold water

Boil until meat is white

Add
1 small can tomato paste
1 pt tomato juice
4 Tbs chili powder ( more or less to taste)
Salt

cook on low until thick

can be frozen

Back
Top Bottom