"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

No break Alfredo with half-n-half

I have a wonderfull Alfredo recipe that I use heavy cream in and tried to switch to half and half to make it a little healthier. Unfortunatly the sauce broke on me. Is there something I can do to avoid this happening?

Old 10-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I would try substituting sour cream. I use sour cream or yoghurt when I make carbonara.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
Half Baked

I use milk for mine anymore.

I put butter,S$P,parm,yolks,garlic powder,lemon juice and capers (yes capers)in the bottom of the serving dish and mix.
I toss the pasta into this quickly then add a little milk to get the consistancy I want.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
Executive Chef

My Alfredo never breaks because I don't let it come to a boil. As it begins to simmer, I back off with the heat just a little. I get it just hot enough to let the fully developed rue thicken the sauce and no hotter. When completely incorporated, it's time to serve.

I've found that a sauce that breaks has a lack of temperature control.

And for use on pasta, there's no reason to bring Alfredo to a boil.

My great grandmother had two settings on her stove - Off and Blow Torch! She never understood that an easy touch on the flame control was sometimes needed to make her dish a success.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Alfredo is simple and good. Heavy cream, butter, Parmigaino Reggiano. It's sinfully rich and a super dish for a romantic dinner for two. Look at it as a special occasion treat and enjoy it.

Heavy cream is used because it doesn't break. A lower fat cream will break. You can change the recipe by using sour cream, flour, egg yolk, capers, etc., but at some point it stopped being Alfredo and became something else.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Alfredo is simple and good. Heavy cream, butter, Parmigaino Reggiano. It's sinfully rich and a super dish for a romantic dinner for two. Look at it as a special occasion treat and enjoy it.

Heavy cream is used because it doesn't break. A lower fat cream will break. You can change the recipe by using sour cream, flour, egg yolk, capers, etc., but at some point it stopped being Alfredo and became something else.

I agree with this but have to say that sour cream is the one substitution that I would not try - it changes the flavor profile too much.

I have had pretty good luck with a roux and 2 percent milk. Using slightly browned butter for the roux, fresh garlic and reggiano. The toasted butter ups the flavor Q just a little. Make a really thin sauce so it just naps the back of a spoon. Drain the pasta but don't rinse - the starch on the pasta will thicken up the sauce. Add a pinch of nutmeg. It's not the real deal - but a decent approximation and a big reduction in fat and calories..
Old 10-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
Half Baked

I kinda agree and I kinda disagree.

how many different ways are there to make Mac-n-cheese.
Does any them not make it make it mac-n-cheese?
The addition of Lobster,truffles,bacon etc or the fact it was never baked like a traditional french way does not change that is still mac-n-cheese in my book.Some just as good or better.

My Flickr stuff!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:22 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
I kinda agree and I kinda disagree.

how many different ways are there to make Mac-n-cheese.
Does any them not make it make it mac-n-cheese?
The addition of Lobster,truffles,bacon etc or the fact it was never baked like a traditional french way does not change that is still mac-n-cheese in my book.Some just as good or better.
I agree and disagree as well. There are innumerable ways to make mac and cheese, beef stew, vegetable soup, etc. These are all dishes that were born out of countless different homes and restaurants at different times. Everybody had/has a version.

Other dishes are classics and some even have only one point of origin and can be considered unique. For example, it's not Boeuf Bourguignon unless you use Burgundy wine.

When I make Alfredo, I add garlic. Sometimes I also add sauteed mushrooms and crumbled bacon. Delicious! But is it still Alfredo - not really. It's actually closer to mac and cheese.

I admit I'm a little fussy about changes to classic recipes. Nothing wrong with changing recipes. People do it all the time. I just think you should change the name as well.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
Half Baked

I know what you mean!

I wonder though how many "classics" are really true to their original creation. Larding,aging of foul,etc.Things that time and modern method have changed rather than plain creativity.

There are also debates on "classics" as to what is the original.
Should alfredo have Nutmeg or not? Should Carbonara have bacon/cured meet or not.

I don't have the answers! Just the questions.

My Flickr stuff!
Old 10-15-2010, 10:09 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Good point. No doubt most of the classics would generate endless discussion of which was THE original. Then there are regional differences for the same recipe...

Don't know about the nutmeg. Probably not but I use it.

For what it's worth, I think carbonara was originally made with pancetta or guanciale - both cured, neither smoked.