No break Alfredo with half-n-half

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tlbrooks

Assistant Cook
I have a wonderfull Alfredo recipe that I use heavy cream in and tried to switch to half and half to make it a little healthier. Unfortunatly the sauce broke on me. Is there something I can do to avoid this happening?

I use milk for mine anymore.

I put butter,S$P,parm,yolks,garlic powder,lemon juice and capers (yes capers)in the bottom of the serving dish and mix.
I toss the pasta into this quickly then add a little milk to get the consistancy I want.

My Alfredo never breaks because I don't let it come to a boil. As it begins to simmer, I back off with the heat just a little. I get it just hot enough to let the fully developed rue thicken the sauce and no hotter. When completely incorporated, it's time to serve.

I've found that a sauce that breaks has a lack of temperature control.

And for use on pasta, there's no reason to bring Alfredo to a boil.

My great grandmother had two settings on her stove - Off and Blow Torch! She never understood that an easy touch on the flame control was sometimes needed to make her dish a success.

Last edited:
Alfredo is simple and good. Heavy cream, butter, Parmigaino Reggiano. It's sinfully rich and a super dish for a romantic dinner for two. Look at it as a special occasion treat and enjoy it.

Heavy cream is used because it doesn't break. A lower fat cream will break. You can change the recipe by using sour cream, flour, egg yolk, capers, etc., but at some point it stopped being Alfredo and became something else.

Alfredo is simple and good. Heavy cream, butter, Parmigaino Reggiano. It's sinfully rich and a super dish for a romantic dinner for two. Look at it as a special occasion treat and enjoy it.

Heavy cream is used because it doesn't break. A lower fat cream will break. You can change the recipe by using sour cream, flour, egg yolk, capers, etc., but at some point it stopped being Alfredo and became something else.

I agree with this but have to say that sour cream is the one substitution that I would not try - it changes the flavor profile too much.

I have had pretty good luck with a roux and 2 percent milk. Using slightly browned butter for the roux, fresh garlic and reggiano. The toasted butter ups the flavor Q just a little. Make a really thin sauce so it just naps the back of a spoon. Drain the pasta but don't rinse - the starch on the pasta will thicken up the sauce. Add a pinch of nutmeg. It's not the real deal - but a decent approximation and a big reduction in fat and calories..

I kinda agree and I kinda disagree.

how many different ways are there to make Mac-n-cheese.
Does any them not make it make it mac-n-cheese?
The addition of Lobster,truffles,bacon etc or the fact it was never baked like a traditional french way does not change that is still mac-n-cheese in my book.Some just as good or better.

I kinda agree and I kinda disagree.

how many different ways are there to make Mac-n-cheese.
Does any them not make it make it mac-n-cheese?
The addition of Lobster,truffles,bacon etc or the fact it was never baked like a traditional french way does not change that is still mac-n-cheese in my book.Some just as good or better.

I agree and disagree as well. There are innumerable ways to make mac and cheese, beef stew, vegetable soup, etc. These are all dishes that were born out of countless different homes and restaurants at different times. Everybody had/has a version.

Other dishes are classics and some even have only one point of origin and can be considered unique. For example, it's not Boeuf Bourguignon unless you use Burgundy wine.

When I make Alfredo, I add garlic. Sometimes I also add sauteed mushrooms and crumbled bacon. Delicious! But is it still Alfredo - not really. It's actually closer to mac and cheese.

I admit I'm a little fussy about changes to classic recipes. Nothing wrong with changing recipes. People do it all the time. I just think you should change the name as well.

I know what you mean!

I wonder though how many "classics" are really true to their original creation. Larding,aging of foul,etc.Things that time and modern method have changed rather than plain creativity.

There are also debates on "classics" as to what is the original.
Should alfredo have Nutmeg or not? Should Carbonara have bacon/cured meet or not.

I don't have the answers! Just the questions.

Good point. No doubt most of the classics would generate endless discussion of which was THE original. Then there are regional differences for the same recipe...

Don't know about the nutmeg. Probably not but I use it.

For what it's worth, I think carbonara was originally made with pancetta or guanciale - both cured, neither smoked.

I'll watch the temp a little closer next time. I did have a pretty good bubble going. Mine has butter, garlic, scallions, cream, and 1/2 Parmesan and 1/2 Romano. Not really classic but still good. I will also pre-cook mushrooms, shrimp, crab meat or chicken and add to the sauce at the very end.

I'll watch the temp a little closer next time. I did have a pretty good bubble going. Mine has butter, garlic, scallions, cream, and 1/2 Parmesan and 1/2 Romano. Not really classic but still good. I will also pre-cook mushrooms, shrimp, crab meat or chicken and add to the sauce at the very end.

Sounds delicious. If you use heavy cream, you can let it boil to thicken with no problems. I've made it with Romano in a pinch (thought I had Parm Reg but didn't) and it was good.

Do not bring Alfredo sauce to a boil. You risk two things if you do.

First, you risk scorching the cream which will damage your sauce and make it unusable.

Second, it's impossible to test for the proper thickness in a boiling sauce. The bubbles and temperature make the sauce seem thinner than it will really be once cooled and served. A sauce just below simmer gives a more reliable test for texture.

A good cook develops patience.

Authentic Alfredo Sauce

4 Tbs butter
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup grated Parmesan (Parmigiano Reggiano)
dash of nutmeg (the secret to good Alfredo Sauce

Melt the butter over a low heat in a pan that will be large enough to hold the pasta at the end of the cooking. Do not let it boil, just melted and warm is fine.
Slowly add the cream and stir with a spoon until it is hot but not boiling and has reduced slightly.
Now add the Parmesan cheese a little at a time and stir until it is all melted. The sauce may take quite a while to thicken, keep stirring and don't let it boil. Add seasonings according to your taste. If the Parmesan is grated too course it will not melt in well. Grate the cheese as fine as possible for best results. The sauce can take a long time to reduce. Don't be tempted to add flour or cornstarch for thickening as it alters the flavor.

4 oz. of cream cheese may be added for additional creaminess.

Last edited:
I forgot one other ingredient I use, chopped fresh parsley. I put it in the sauce just before the cheese. Add the cheese, shut off the heat, continue to whisk until the cheese is fully incorporated and your done. I'll try the nutmeg next time. I've used nutmeg in other dishes that you'd think it wouldn't go and it adds that little taste of something that you can't put your finger on. But just a tiny bit goes a long way, you can overdo it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom