"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 06-16-2005, 10:12 PM   #11
Master Chef
Paint, I'm afraid you're a littke "land locked" to find a true fishmonger in the Springs.

I'm not too impressed with the online yellow pages because they can't always find places I know exist - so break out your phone book and look under MEAT - RETAIL. Then, call the places up and see what they've got. That's how I found a fantastic butcher shop in one of the Denver suburbs near me when I lived in Golden a few years ago.

If you can only find wholesale meat suppliers, call one of them and see if they can't point you to a butcher shop like you're searching for (they sell the meat to the butcher shops so they should know who and where they are).

If all else fails - call your local Chamber of Commerce.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 06:17 AM   #12
Master Chef
I can believe you can't find a fishmonger in Co Springs, but a butcher? This may sound simplistic, but talk to the guy at the meat counter in your best grocery store. S/he may be able to guide you to a butcher shop, if they cannot accomodate you there. Most grocery stores get much of their meat pre-cut, but can accomodate you if the cut you want falls withing the butchering they do. But butchers are a small group, and the grocery store butcher may know who DOES do the kind of work you want done.

edit: Holy Moly, what am I thinking of. Don't you know a hunter? If so, ask him/her where they get their venison done. Almost all I know use a butcher. Most places I've lived the guy who butchers game has a butcher shop. CO used to be hunting haven.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 09:52 PM   #13
Senior Cook
Buckytom - you are an angel LOL! I will definately pay Harvest Market a visit. Thankyou so much for finding them for me!!

I should visit Whole Foods more too - I need to get organised though - I can only seem to think of one meal at a time, and tend to shop every day for just those ingredients. (at the local Safeway which is about a mile away). I could buy stuff in bulk and freeze it - but I've done that before, then forget what I have in the freezer, and by the time I 'find' it again it's freezer-burnt and inedible. I need to work on some sort of weekly plan....then try and go shopping without the kids in tow, so that I actually manage to come back with the correct groceries instead of a load of junk & a headache LOL!

British ex-pat living in Colorado, USA
Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 10:47 AM   #14
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
Butcher shops:

Andy's Meat Market
2915 East Platte Avenue, Colorado Springs, CO 80909

Carniceria Leonela
3736 East Pikes Peak Avenue, Colorado Springs, CO 80909
(719) 637-2641

Carnizeria Y Taqueria LA Union
1629 South Nevada Avenue, Colorado Springs, CO 80906
(719) 477-1995

El Herradero de Morelos
1629 South Nevada Avenue, Colorado Springs, CO 80906
(719) 477-1995

Mercado Y Carniceria El Potrerito
509 South Circle Drive, Colorado Springs, CO 80910
(719) 228-9485

Fish Mongers:

Gourmet's Pantry
4510 Oro Blanco Drive, Colorado Springs, CO 80917

Par Avion Finer Foods Emporium
The Cook's & Entertainer's Fantasy Food Store
4510 Oro Blanco Drive, Colorado Springs, CO 80917
(719) 597-4545

Par Avion Finer Foods Emporium
1872 Southgate Road, Colorado Springs, CO 80906

Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 11:13 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
awwww, c'mon caine, your stealing my thunder...

lol, way to go!!!!!!!!!!!

buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote