No butchers or fishmongers in my city???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paint

Senior Cook
I've never really looked for a butcher or fishmonger during the past 5 years I've lived here - just got meat & fish at the local supermarket. Now I'm wanting to find a good local butcher who could maybe cut me some British style back-bacon, or who could provide me with venison or a good filet mignon.....and I can't find one. I searched MSN yellow pages for 'butchers' and for 'fishmongers' but came up with nothing, so then I realised that these definitions might be too old-fashioned, so I tried 'meat markets', 'meat retailers', 'meat stores' .....same with fish. No luck. There are no butchers or fishmongers in Colorado Springs.....am I doing something wrong in my search - any ideas? I'm getting a bit fed-up with the limited range of meats available at the grocery store and their lack of fresh fish. Now I know that these places exist in other parts of the country, because I've seen celebrity chefs on Food Network going into their local butcher/fishmonger and being able to request special cuts of meat etc.,,,,

Paint.

Sounds like you are searching for the right things. You might want to try searching for a deli. A lot of delis act as meat shops. They don't usually have a butcher, but often have a wider variety of meats and some fish than the local supermarket has.

I buy all my meat from my local butcher, who is also a farmer and I have an excellent fishmonger, too. I think I'd go mad if I lived in a place where I couldn't access those services directly :)

Good luck with your search to find a source of fresh meat and fish in your area.

What part of Colorado are you in? There are certainly specialty meat and gourmet markets in the Denver area. :chef:

Fresh fish is more of a problem, because no matter how they ship it, it's still really fresh in name only. We are too far from the ocean for much in the way of good seafood. :wacko:

Paint, we live about a three hour drive from a proper butcher shop, so rarely make the trip.

But have found the butchers at the local supermarkets to be very accommodating (and I am talking about very mainstream supermarket chains here, not the more tony stores).

Would go and talk to one, preferably the meat manager, when the store is not particularly busy.

And would have in mind one or two cuts you are interested in, and then order one, give him a try.

Have found the supermarket butchers very helpful and eager to help (heck, they must get tired of just cutting up the primal cuts they get into the same old steaks and roasts).

As for fish and seafood, we live not very far from the ocean, and still have problems getting decent stuff, so can be of no help there.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

WE have a butcher in my area that I LOVE to get hotdogs from. They have a wonderful taste to them.

Paint, I'm afraid you're a littke "land locked" to find a true fishmonger in the Springs.

I'm not too impressed with the online yellow pages because they can't always find places I know exist - so break out your phone book and look under MEAT - RETAIL. Then, call the places up and see what they've got. That's how I found a fantastic butcher shop in one of the Denver suburbs near me when I lived in Golden a few years ago.

If you can only find wholesale meat suppliers, call one of them and see if they can't point you to a butcher shop like you're searching for (they sell the meat to the butcher shops so they should know who and where they are).

If all else fails - call your local Chamber of Commerce.

I can believe you can't find a fishmonger in Co Springs, but a butcher? This may sound simplistic, but talk to the guy at the meat counter in your best grocery store. S/he may be able to guide you to a butcher shop, if they cannot accomodate you there. Most grocery stores get much of their meat pre-cut, but can accomodate you if the cut you want falls withing the butchering they do. But butchers are a small group, and the grocery store butcher may know who DOES do the kind of work you want done.

edit: Holy Moly, what am I thinking of. Don't you know a hunter? If so, ask him/her where they get their venison done. Almost all I know use a butcher. Most places I've lived the guy who butchers game has a butcher shop. CO used to be hunting haven.

Last edited:
Buckytom - you are an angel LOL! I will definately pay Harvest Market a visit. Thankyou so much for finding them for me!!

I should visit Whole Foods more too - I need to get organised though - I can only seem to think of one meal at a time, and tend to shop every day for just those ingredients. (at the local Safeway which is about a mile away). I could buy stuff in bulk and freeze it - but I've done that before, then forget what I have in the freezer, and by the time I 'find' it again it's freezer-burnt and inedible. I need to work on some sort of weekly plan....then try and go shopping without the kids in tow, so that I actually manage to come back with the correct groceries instead of a load of junk & a headache LOL!

Paint.

[font=geneva,arial,helvetica][size=-1]Butcher shops:[/size][/font]
[font=geneva,arial,helvetica][size=-1][/size][/font]
[font=geneva,arial,helvetica][size=-1]Andy's Meat Market
2915 East Platte Avenue, Colorado Springs, CO 80909 [/size][/font]

[font=geneva,arial,helvetica][size=-1]Carniceria Leonela
3736 East Pikes Peak Avenue, Colorado Springs, CO 80909
(719) 637-2641
[/size][/font]
[font=geneva,arial,helvetica][size=-1][font=geneva,arial,helvetica][size=-1][font=geneva,arial,helvetica][size=-1][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font=geneva,arial,helvetica][size=-1][font=geneva,arial,helvetica][size=-1][font=geneva,arial,helvetica][size=-1]Carnizeria Y Taqueria LA Union
1629 South Nevada Avenue, Colorado Springs, CO 80906
(719) 477-1995
[/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font=geneva,arial,helvetica][size=-1][font=geneva,arial,helvetica][size=-1][font=geneva,arial,helvetica][size=-1][font=geneva,arial,helvetica][size=-1]El Herradero de Morelos
1629 South Nevada Avenue, Colorado Springs, CO 80906
(719) 477-1995
[/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font=geneva,arial,helvetica][size=-1][font=geneva,arial,helvetica][size=-1][font=geneva,arial,helvetica][size=-1][font=geneva,arial,helvetica][size=-1][font=geneva,arial,helvetica][size=-1]Mercado Y Carniceria El Potrerito
509 South Circle Drive, Colorado Springs, CO 80910
(719) 228-9485
[/size][/font]

Fish Mongers:

[font=geneva,arial,helvetica][size=-1][font=geneva,arial,helvetica][size=-1]Gourmet's Pantry
4510 Oro Blanco Drive, Colorado Springs, CO 80917[/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font=geneva,arial,helvetica][size=-1][/size][/font]
[font=geneva,arial,helvetica][size=-1]Par Avion Finer Foods Emporium
The Cook's & Entertainer's Fantasy Food Store
4510 Oro Blanco Drive, Colorado Springs, CO 80917
(719) 597-4545

[/size][/font][font=geneva,arial,helvetica][size=-1][font=geneva,arial,helvetica][size=-1]Par Avion Finer Foods Emporium
1872 Southgate Road, Colorado Springs, CO 80906 [/size][/font]
[/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom