No knead bread - cooking vessel...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eroberts

Assistant Cook
I'm trying out one of the no knead bread recipes...it won't let me put a link in yet ... google "no knead bread" if you'd like to see what I'm talking about.

They use a cast iron dutch oven or pyrex container I think - both deep enough for bread to rise and both with covers. The pot they cook the bread in has been heated in the oven for like 30 minutes before dough goes in...they say it needs to be super hot ... then dough in, cover, put in oven at 500 for 30 minutes...then cover off and in for another 15-20 mins to give top a good browning.

So - here's my issue...I assumed I'd cook this bread in our crockpot insert and lid ... my wife has other ideas...she says no. Seems like the crockpot would withstand those temps. I went to a local kitchen place and could not believe how expensive stuff is...

Do you think the pot/vessel has to be thick like a cast iron pot or similar pot? Think my crockpot would work? My backup plan right now is to try to use a turkey roasting pan. It's very thin...I don't know if the requirement is for it to be big and have a lid .. .or if it needs to be thick also to retain heat..??...

Any ideas? I have some pyrex casserole dishes with lids...but nothing big enough to make a big loaf of bread I think...maybe break it down into a few smaller loafs ..??

Any ideas/advice welcome...

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

ER

The bread you are talking about is very forgiving. You can make many changes to it and it will still work. I would think the crock from your crock pot would be the best bet, but the lid may or may not be able to withstand the heat. That is the part I would be most worried about. If you had to you could just cover the crock with aluminum foil and that should work fine.

Heat retention is important, but again this bread is very forgiving so even a thin walled vessel should work just fine. You may need to tweak the times a bit to get it to come out perfect, but it should not take many tried to figure out exactly how it should be.

Going to try the crock...don't tell my wife...

I found some other posts out on the net of people who say they used the crock just for this purpose...one said he took the knob off the lid and plugged the hole with aluminum foil ... I thnk this is the method I'm going to try.

If it works I'm a hero...if it does not I have to run out and get a new crockpot before my wife realizes I've yet again done something she told me not to do.

THx!!

E

If I were a betting man I would say you are going to be a hero. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

A crockpot liner is used all the time to bake no knead bread

The Wednesday Chef: Jim Lahey's No-Knead Bread

But if your wife is still nervous about that, I found this:

"People have successfully tried all kinds of pots ranging from ceramic crock pot inserts to Pyrex vessels. I bought a Farberware Cast-Iron 5-Quart Covered Dutch Oven for only about $18 from amazon.com, but it was out of stock the last time I looked. I also use the Lodge Logic Pre-Seasoned 5-Quart Dutch Oven with Loop Handles from amazon.com ($29.99 with free shipping). These "Dutch ovens" are simply cast-iron stew pots."

I make no-knead sourdough bread every single week. There is no need to invest in an expensive enamel dutch oven. I use a Lodge 5-qt. Cast-Iron Covered Dutch Oven available from Walmart, Target, and other places for about $30. I also use a Tramontino enamel dutch oven that is available from Walmart for under $40. The knob on the Tramontino won't withstand the 500 F temperature. I replaced mine with a metal drawer pull and longer screw that cost about $1. Le Creuset sells a replacement metal knob too, but theirs is $20.

BTW, your crockpot liner and lid will also work just fine.

Attachments

• No-Knead Sourdough Success 001.jpg
    No-Knead Sourdough Success 001.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 277
I make it at least twice a week but I've only used the cast iron dutch oven, I found mine at a yard sale for $35.00 with the cover.

img_834391_0_09f3132e33e77626d1cc5107f12b8ffd.jpg

img_834391_1_fffb196b44e26c2aa19bf837841f9bf2.jpg

And yes that's real honest to goodness butter. If you're gonna do it, do it right :cool:

It came out pretty good I think for 1st try. The middle was a little thicker/gummier than I wanted. But the crust was really really good...I buttered it up and ate the crust mainly. I don't know anything about making bread really...so I don't know what to tweak to make it lighter. Thx for all the info. I took the knob off the crockpot lid and covered the hole with aluminum foil. I dusted the botto of the crock with corn meal...all in all...relatively painless and pretty good turnout...

E

It came out pretty good I think for 1st try. The middle was a little thicker/gummier than I wanted. But the crust was really really good...I buttered it up and ate the crust mainly. I don't know anything about making bread really...so I don't know what to tweak to make it lighter. Thx for all the info. I took the knob off the crockpot lid and covered the hole with aluminum foil. I dusted the botto of the crock with corn meal...all in all...relatively painless and pretty good turnout...

E

Two reasons that it may turn out gummy : The bread not cooled enough before slicing. I wait about half hour before slicing the bread.
Second reason: Inside of bread was not baked to minimum temp of 200 degrees , I've baked the bread to internal temp at 208 and it turned out wonderful.

This is the first i have heard of no knead bread. Does it take a special recipe or will any bread recipe work as long as the cooking container and heat are set right?
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the first i have heard of no knead bread. Does it take a special recipe or will any bread recipe work as long as the cooking container and heat are set right?
Hi bonnie,
Search this site for new york times bread recipe. Lots of us have tried it and there is a lot of good info there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely did not let the bread cool .... couldn't wait!!.... one other thing is that I used a packet of yeast I found dated 2008 sell by .... not sure if that hurt things...nexzt time I will try to let cool for 2 hours as they recommend on the video I watched...

How would I know what the inside of the bread temp is ??

THx,

ER

Internal temperature is measured by a thermometer. Breadtopia sells one for under $20, or you can buy one at any kitchen store. The internal temperature of no-knead bread should read 212F.

If you slice this bread before the bread cools completely, the insides go mushy.

How would I know what the inside of the bread temp is ??

THx,

ER

Use a thermometer, I use a digital one for meats , etc. If you don't have a digital one, you can use a meat thermometer , if you don't have anything, I suggest you invest in one. ;)

[FONT=&quot]Bonnie Royster, GSD[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]CEO, WhosStylin.com[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]bonnie@whosstylin.com[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]www.whosstylin.com[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A Woman’s Lifestyle Resource & Salon Professionals Connection[/FONT]

I use the recipe from Artisan Bread in 5 min. A Day
Recipe: The Master Recipe—Boule (Artisan Free-Form Loaf)

I have the book and use it a lot for other recipes as well.

Back
Top Bottom