No Roasting Rack .... any ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

torenium

Assistant Cook
So I am preparing to roast some beef but I don't have a roasting rack.

Can I just use a roasting pan with the meat placed directly on the tray or should i use something to raise the meat from the tray?

Any suggestions?
Would an upturned plate in the bottom of the tray work? Or perhaps some thick slices of onion or potatoes?

Since I didn't have a roasting rack, I got some foil and made a ring with it so the meat stays off the bottom of the pan.

You can alo use a layer of veggie chunks, carrots, onions, celery that will act as a rack and later provide great flavor for your gravy.

The veggie method is the way to go. Carrots celery onion parsnip, whatever. Gives your juices great depth of flavor and makes a fine pan gravy

If you haven't any vegetables or foil about the place, you can also use the insert to a broiler pan. Just put it right in the roaster and it raises the meat.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I went with the foil idea as the size of the roast required a long cooking time which would have burnt/blackened the vegetables, (which I did not have many to spare). It turned out great.
I love a good roast.

Back
Top Bottom