"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Nobody makes it like...

We had my dad's (Chief Longwind's) barbecued turkey for Thanksgiving. We just finished the leftovers tonight. I've gotta say, for me, nobody does turkey like my dad. He uses a Weber kettle grill and cooks the bird indirectly over two side beds of charcoal and wood (tag alder this year) with a drip pan directly under the bird. The juicy dark meat, the gravy made from the drippings, the skin, oooh the skin... The only thing that may be better than his turkey is the turkey soup he makes from the carcass. Smokey and rich, with vegetables and barley, this soup is eyes-roll-to-the-back-of-your-head good. I've had some pretty tasty turkeys and even made a couple myself, but nothing compares to his.

What's that food for you? I'm talking about that food that nobody makes like your grandma, your mom, your dad or your crazy uncle. Whose signature dish is worth driving seven hours with cranky kids, waiting to eat all day until you get there, or putting up with your least favorite cousin to get a taste of?

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Master Chef

Sprout, my son is the turkey maker for the last several years, and he does his exactly like your Dad's. You are so right..there's no better turkey in all the world and at my age, I've had a turkey or two, actually, dozens and dozens!! There's just something about that kettle charcoal/wood turkey that nothing else can match.

This year he opted to purchase a very overpriced Turducken, and did it in the oven. It was very good but I was secretly yearning for his masterpiece from years past.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
Cook

My mothers chicken gumbo. It is actually a 'cheater' recipe from an old cookbook she has, it definitely isn't like any other I have had. Over the years they have gone to Louisiana a couple times to visit friends and she always has to make it for them. 'Course part of the charm may be the memory of my grandfather who insisted that the bottom of the bowl always tasted best so he would have a half dozen or so bowls no more than a quarter full.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My Dad's Udon Noodle soup, love that stuff and cannot for the life of me replicate it. It's a specific flavor that I have asked him about, but he says he's told me all the ingredients. Must be the pan he cooks it in or he stirs it with his finger or something.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
My Dad's Udon Noodle soup, love that stuff and cannot for the life of me replicate it. It's a specific flavor that I have asked him about, but he says he's told me all the ingredients. Must be the pan he cooks it in or he stirs it with his finger or something.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:51 AM   #6
Certified Cake Maniac

My friend's wontons. She tried to show me one time but my hands don't work well for filling and folding. They are better than any restaurant I have ever been to. She keeps me supplied when I am under the weather and even gave me a huge container for my birthday this year. Best present she could give me. I just keep them in the freezer and throw some into some boiling chicken broth. I sometimes add broccoli and/or green onion just before serving.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:55 AM   #7
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
It could be as simple as the brand of soy sauce or rice vinegar. Each brand can take on a totally different flavour.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:16 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:

I really need to come back more often. I miss you.
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:35 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
.... Whose signature dish is worth driving seven hours with cranky kids, waiting to eat all day until you get there, or putting up with your least favorite cousin to get a taste of?
Sprout, those lovely progeny of yours still getting crabby? Hmm, must be from their Dad's side.

My Mom made a killer beef stew. I've tried duplicating it, using the same ingredients and spices and...nadda. I think maybe she spat into the pot when no one was looking... (PF, maybe THAT is your Dad's secret ingredient in the udon noodle soup?) OTOH, she always told me my pot roast was better than hers. I make pot roast instead of stew and wish Mom was still around to make the stew. *sigh*
Old 12-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Nothing that my mother or father made was anywhere close to being memorable. They were terrible cooks. My grandmother was German and her sauerbraten was the best.