Non-hot Thai/Cambodian dishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puffin3

Senior Cook
I'd like to try making some asian dishes. They look so tasty on TV. But I just can't take much 'heat'. Are there some links where I can find recipes that are authentic but not too spicy hot?
Thanks

With most Thai recipes, you can manage the heat level by the number of peppers you add. The heat comes from a combination of peppers and curry pastes which also contain peppers. You can enjoy the flavors with moderate heat.

Here is an example of a chili paste used in Thai cooking. It would be easy enough to cut back on the pepper in this recipe and still enjoy the flavors.

Nam Prik Pao (Chile Jam) Recipe - NYT Cooking

With most Thai recipes, you can manage the heat level by the number of peppers you add. The heat comes from a combination of peppers and curry pastes which also contain peppers. You can enjoy the flavors with moderate heat.

Here is an example of a chili paste used in Thai cooking. It would be easy enough to cut back on the pepper in this recipe and still enjoy the flavors.

Nam Prik Pao (Chile Jam) Recipe - NYT Cooking
Thanks for the recipe. It sounds great. I'm shopping for the ingredients today.
I'm not sure I can find shrimp paste though. Any thoughts on what I can sub. with? Anchovy paste?

Thanks for the recipe. It sounds great. I'm shopping for the ingredients today.
I'm not sure I can find shrimp paste though. Any thoughts on what I can sub. with? Anchovy paste?

Not sure. You could try anchovy paste or go without.

BTW, nam prik pao is a key ingredient in a couple of Thai soups - Tom Yum and Tom Kha.

Last edited:
You could use dried shrimp or fish sauce. Shrimp are sweeter than anchovies. You can probably use them instead, but the flavor will be different.

As Andy said, you can just reduce the amount of peppers in any recipe to tone down the heat. Once you start eating food with a bit of heat, your tolerance for it tends to rise. Years ago, I didn't enjoy spicy food, but now I find some of my old recipes bland, so I've modified them. I even something add hot sauce when serving! :)

I like these two blogs for Thai-style recipes:

http://rasamalaysia.com/recipes/thai-recipes/

http://steamykitchen.com/custom-search?gcs=Thai

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom