"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-26-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Non-hydrogenated Lard

So, when my last tub of generic Crisco was empty, I had decided not to buy it anymore, so as to avoid its trans-fats. Basically the only thing I would ever use it for was pastry crust. Instead, I figured, I'd give lard a try, having heard such great things about it for pastry, and it not having artificial trans fats. Then, looking at it in the grocery, I see that what's sold is actually hydrogenated lard, meaning it does contain trans fats.

Its not like a make a lot of pies, so I suppose its not a huge problem to just use whatever...but still. Anyone know if or where non-hydrogenated lard might be sold? Or other fats that work too (Coconut oil is the only one that comes to mind). I've made a few all-butter pie crusts, and frankly don't like the outcome, not as light and flaky, kind of tough, and not that great to work with.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Pure lard is not hydrogenated. Some of what is labeled as lard in the stores is actually a combination of lard and hydrogenated fats.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Don't mess with pie crust.
Lard rules!
Actually I use half lard half butter.....
I know what you mean that you'd like to cut the transfats out wherever you can but really, it's pie, and like you said, it's not every day.
I say if you're gonna do it, indulge a little! Eat veggies the next day.....
Old 10-26-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Pure lard is not hydrogenated. Some of what is labeled as lard in the stores is actually a combination of lard and hydrogenated fats.
Yes, I know. Hence my query, where to get non-hydrogenated i.e. pure lard.

There's also I suppose, for myself an others, a bit of a moral concern here, the lack of whole, nontampered food, or the inverse, our food suppliers supplying us with the creations they do.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:34 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Some butchers and delis will sell you home-made lard in tubs, which I assume would be what you're looking for.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:36 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Some ethnic markets may also carry it. If there is a Hispanic market in your area they may have some.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:02 PM   #7
Senior Cook

You might find how easy it is to render your own. you can Google rendering Lard and just the first link I looked at was cool.

You can buy pork fat from most butchers. You are right on about lard in pie crust.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:27 AM   #8
Senior Cook

I have this exact same question. I had been looking at lard in the grocery store a few weeks ago and was disappointed to find it all hydrogenated.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:25 AM   #9
Senior Cook

You could also use the Trans fat free Crisco. They only

sell it in the small containers where I live but since I don't use much that is not a problem for me. At room temp it seems a little harder than regular Crisco but works fine. It may be easier to find this that to find trans fat free lard.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:06 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

About the Trans Fat Free Crisco, there's really a marketing ploy going on here. If you look at the ingredients, there is some hydrogenated oil (palm I think). What happens is that for a serving, there winds up being something like 0.49 grams - and the labeling standards allow the companies to round down to zero grams, to advertise it as having 0 grams.