"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Non Stick Pan and Eggs, Help

So my wife and I recently got the Paula Deen non stick skillet. I cook alot of eggs/egg whites/eggbeaters and assorted "sticky" morning things. So here is my question.
1) Electric stovetop turned up to 5 of 10
2) Put egg in pan
3) When flipping egg, instead of the bottom being "white" it had a browned look.
Is that normal? I only used to use Pam in my old pan and never saw the underside of the egg change color. Since I am by no means a chef, I was hoping someone could elaborate on what happened?

Old 03-05-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Did you use any fat? Chances are the pan got too hot and that caused the browning.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Did you use any fat? Chances are the pan got too hot and that caused the browning.
I did not use any fat. Is it possible to cook with these pans without using fats at a lower temp?
I haven't used oil or butter during the week in forever. (Weekends are a different story, hehe)
Old 03-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

You should be able to cook in a non-stick pan without fat. To avoid browning, use a lower temp. Different pans handle heat differently.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Ok I will give it a shot later on then. I miss living in a gas stovetop area.
I suppose one small part of me was worried the brown was from the pan itself

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I have been assuming the pan had been washed and was clean before you started.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
Cook

Your temp is too high, I think. On my stove, anything above a 4 will make an egg "brown" on the bottom. Try a three...it'll take longer, but your egg will be purdy!
Old 03-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

1) Yes it was clean
2) I can try a lower number
Old 03-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
Master Chef

To make a truly "pretty egg, whether in a non-stick, or in my cast iron, I rub the pan surface with oil so that there is, for all practical purposes, no fat in the pan. I heat the pan to medium on my stove, place the egg into the pan, lightly season with S&P, and cook until the bottom begins to set. I then place about two tbs. of water into the pan and cover. Cook for an additional thirty seconds or so to finish setting the egg white, and create a pink skin on the yolk. Then, just transfer the egg to the plate. The egg white is tender and well flavored, and the yolk is liquid and yummy. The water will also get under the egg and keep it from browning should you desire to cook the egg long enough to set the yolk.

Oh, and though you can cook in a completely dry non-stick pan, most makers recommend you use a minute amount of oil in the pan. I have had foods stick to non-stick. I prefer to use my SS or CI pans. I rarely use non-stick of any kind. I tend to cook at too high temperatures too often and ruin them.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #10
Master Chef

Site Moderator

When cooking eggs in my non-stick I always take a pat of butter on a fork, rub it around the bottom of the heated pan then put the egg in. Minimal fat used and nothing sticks.