Not An Intended Use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In college I did a paper about the Inuit people (formerly known as Eskimos). One of the things I found in my research was that as they started living in towns and didn't have as much access to blubber, a favorite dessert for many of them was Crisco with sugar stirred in. :sick:

In college I did a paper about the Inuit people (formerly known as Eskimos). One of the things I found in my research was that as they started living in towns and didn't have as much access to blubber, a favorite dessert for many of them was Crisco with sugar stirred in. :sick:

I think that is called frosting.:LOL:

Ok, my gag reflex just kicked in.....hard. :sick::sick::sick:

I'd as soon suck on a moose's nose until it was dry! Yucko Bucko!

I remember all the other kids in my classes in grade school loved it when cup cakes with thick frosting were brought in. I would regularly eat the cake part and toss the frosting. I remember one year someone's mom brought in cupcakes that had been baked in ice cream cones and had mounds of colored, shortening based frosting on top to make it look like a fancy swirl cone with sprinkles. I remember scraping off the frosting and wishing it had been real ice cream.

I much prefer butter cream frosting or something like a caramel or syrup drizzled over top. I also like flavored frostings such as cream cheese, spiced, chocolate, strawberry... Just so long as they aren't mostly shortening and sugar with a couple drops of flavoring added. Those are still gross.

I much prefer butter cream frosting or something like a caramel or syrup drizzled over top. I also like flavored frostings such as cream cheese, spiced, chocolate, strawberry... Just so long as they aren't mostly shortening and sugar with a couple drops of flavoring added. Those are still gross.

My favorite is the very thin orange icing on carrot cake. Hardly there and a little brittle, but delicious with the cake. Oh man, now I want some!

I remember all the other kids in my classes in grade school loved it when cup cakes with thick frosting were brought in. I would regularly eat the cake part and toss the frosting. I remember one year someone's mom brought in cupcakes that had been baked in ice cream cones and had mounds of colored, shortening based frosting on top to make it look like a fancy swirl cone with sprinkles. I remember scraping off the frosting and wishing it had been real ice cream.

I have never cared much for shortening based frostings either. I love a good cream cheese frosting, my mom's cooked White Mountain Frosting, and whipped cream based frosting. I almost forgot--I also loved my mom's caramel frosting on applesauce cake. :cool:

Last edited:
I don't recall anyone scraping frosting off of anything when I went to school :wacko:

I don't recall anyone scraping frosting off of anything when I went to school :wacko:

i did it too, but i must admit i didn't scrape it entirely off. and i didn't know why i did it either. small children, more than most anyone, crave sweet things - anything sweet, with little prejudice....:)

i did it too, but i must admit i didn't scrape it entirely off. and i didn't know why i did it either. small children, more than most anyone, crave sweet things - anything sweet, with little prejudice....:)

I seem to remember in the early, formative years of elementary school, every kid's mother would have to bring in a snack... it might have been once a week. I know it wasn't a special occasion or anything, but it happened with regularity... We would have a drink and a snack based on what the mother brought. For all I know they were teaching us to be polite and respect others. You know, shut up and eat it! :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom