"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-23-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
Cook

Not enough Duck

I have 4 adults and 2 kids (well one of the boys eats like an adult) and one 5 lb duckling. Should i get more duck or just serve appetizers? I am also making wild rice pilaf, acorn squash and a green salad.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Get another duck. There isn't a lot of meat on a duck.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
Head Chef

I'm with Andy, we would buy another duck. Always hard to predict exactly how much to make but I would find it tough to strtch a duck to four not all that big eaters.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:16 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to jerseyjay14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avlynn View Post
I have 4 adults and 2 kids (well one of the boys eats like an adult) and one 5 lb duckling. Should i get more duck or just serve appetizers? I am also making wild rice pilaf, acorn squash and a green salad.
I eat alot of duck, from my experience one 4-5 lb duck for 4 people is stretching it. let alone for 6.

usually 1 or 1.5 breasts serves one person. then maybe the leg and thigh portion combined is another 1 person serving. the meat on the legs is non exsistant. i only use the legs for stocks and soups.

2 ducks would give you about 3 breast servings and 4 Leg/thigh servings.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

I go on the safe side and have 1 duck/2 people. I can always find something wonderful to do with the leftovers.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Gee, we can share a duck breast between two with a salad if we have a dessert or entree to go with the main meal, otherwise one breast per person.

One duck is used in the three course Peking Duck meal for four people over here. That's the skin in pancakes, carcass in soup and the rest of the flesh (there's a bit of flesh in the first two courses but not a lot) in an stirfry or similar. That's my only experience with a whole duck.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:38 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I've never made a duck, is it difficult? It's been a long time since I ate some, is it tasty?
Tastes like chicken? :)
Old 01-24-2008, 08:41 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Tastes nothing like chicken. I love duck. I don't know which would be my favourite meat - duck or lamb! If I go to a restaurant and duck is on the menu, I have a hard job going past it. I've never cooked a full duck, only duck breasts and they were super simple. It has a depth of flavour that chicken and turkey just don't reach.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:45 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
Tastes nothing like chicken. I love duck. I don't know which would be my favourite meat - duck or lamb! If I go to a restaurant and duck is on the menu, I have a hard job going past it. I've never cooked a full duck, only duck breasts and they were super simple. It has a depth of flavour that chicken and turkey just don't reach.
I hear it's sorta greasy though?
My kids probably wouldn't eat it anyway, unless I told them it was chicken. I'd hate to waste the $$ on it!
Old 01-24-2008, 08:53 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I guess it can be if you let it sit in the fat. If you score the skin right and let the fat render it shouldn't be greasy but it is rather rich. We wouldn't serve as much duck per person as we would chicken. I don't think I would be buying it for your kids just yet Suzi. The young ones are still at that age aren't they were it's all love it or loathe it? Maybe if you can get your hands on one, you and DH could treat yourselves one night and just give the kids chicken. Duck over here is rather expensive. On my side of Perth, it is hard to get. I have to drive to the posh suburbs to get it fresh or order it in advance - and then it is the whole bird. I would be eating duck for a while if I did that!! LOL