Not So great Tuna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
I feel really bad. DH, riding on the glory of his previously purchased sashimi grade yellowfin tuna steaks, which cooked up wonderfully, proudly brought home six bucks worth of Our Family generic yellowfin and requested the same. Skeptically, I cooked them, and blech, ptoui, and ack puhh. The beagle will eat well for a couple days.

I feel really bad. DH, riding on the glory of his previously purchased sashimi grade yellowfin tuna steaks, which cooked up wonderfully, proudly brought home six bucks worth of Our Family generic yellowfin and requested the same. Skeptically, I cooked them, and blech, ptoui, and ack puhh. The beagle will eat well for a couple days.

You get what you pay for, especially with fish. What was wrong here? Taste fail? Texture fail?

Def taste fail. I am really sensitive to anything " fishy" tasting. Texture was OK. Oh well, he tried. Buyer beware. Beagle will get her omega 3s.

Dawg mate I like most fresh fish cooked with the exception of Tuna. My Croatian relatives who are fishermen catch the occasional Tuna and sell it to the tourist restaurants for big bucks they cant understand why it is so popular.
I do like it raw or out of the tin.:)

dawg, tuna should not be fishy. it smells fishy only when it starts to go bad. that's not to say it couldn't be consumed by man or beagle, but it wasn't fresh, no matter the grade or species. hth.

Back
Top Bottom