"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-04-2012, 05:33 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
I could bore for England about gravy. I have step by step photos on how to make gravy (the traditional kind you have on a roast).

If you have trouble sleeping one day give me a nudge and I'll post them.
if i have trouble sleeping one day i'll send a taxi to get you,you're only 30 mins away!
harry

Old 05-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #32
Wine Guy

Eggs are my favorite standby food. There are a lot of nights DW and I have breakfast for dinner.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #33
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Eggs are my favorite standby food. There are a lot of nights DW and I have breakfast for dinner.
Eggs and bacon or pancakes...love it!
Old 05-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Eggs and bacon or pancakes...love it!

When we were kids pancakes for dinner seemed like a fantastic treat, when we got older we realized we only had them when mom was flat broke!
Old 05-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I sometimes use eggs for a hurry up supper, but DH is noticeably getting older and his digestion is getting more delicate. He often has eggs for breakfast and his stomach rebels at more than three eggs in a day.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #36
Executive Chef

I find frozen veggies are a great time saver. Cut up some meat, toss in the frozen veggies, some seasonings, stirfry in 15-20 minutes. I also keep chicken broth handy. I can make a decent soup with chicken broth, frozen veggies, and egg noodles. We always have dried pasta, rice, and canned beans. Brown sausage, toss in some beans and spices, frozen chopped peppers and celery, serve over rice. If I'm fealing super lazy a green salad with a boiled egg works. If I'm feeling too lazy for even that, peanut butter and jelly sandwich or a bowl of cereal works fine. Don't really have any canned pasta sauces but a can of tomatoes, a can of tomato paste and some dried herbs and spices makes a quick pasta sauce.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #37
Certified Cake Maniac

We don't do processed foods because of a whole pile of intolerances and dietary needs/preferences.

Bacon and eggs, french toast, omelets used to be staples, along with waffles, pancakes, etc. But DH is off eggs for the full calendar year and it seems to be helping him. I can't serve him anything with a hint of egg in it.

However, every time I make a meal I always make it family sized (now it is just the two of us) and freeze single and double portions. These become handy if DH is going to his on-call job and for those times I just can't cook. I also can, preserve and buy meats in bulk.

I make a huge batch of marinara sauce and freeze it in several different sizes. This can be used so many different ways - add vegetables and/or meat to use with pasta, lasagna, etc.

I make my own broths (freezing them anywhere from ice cubes to one liter containers), meat pies, desserts, casseroles and just freeze them. I will cook a large roast (beef or pork), for a dinner then slice the rest up thinly for individual sandwiches.

So I guess you would say that the brand I keep on hand is my own.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
We don't do processed foods because of a whole pile of intolerances and dietary needs/preferences.

However, every time I make a meal I always make it family sized (now it is just the two of us) and freeze single and double portions. These become handy if DH is going to his on-call job and for those times I just can't cook. I also can, preserve and buy meats in bulk.

I make a huge batch of marinara sauce and freeze it in several different sizes. This can be used so many different ways - add vegetables and/or meat to use with pasta, lasagna, etc.

I make my own broths (freezing them anywhere from ice cubes to one liter containers), meat pies, desserts, casseroles and just freeze them. I will cook a large roast (beef or pork), for a dinner then slice the rest up thinly for individual sandwiches.

So I guess you would say that the brand I keep on hand is my own.
Good for you.

I keep meaning to that. I do some of it.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #39
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Good for you.

I keep meaning to that. I do some of it.
Well I have to say it is not easy, but in our household it is of necessity. That is why I make huge meals when I am able to cook and make freezer meals. That way we have something and don't have to try risky prepared foods.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
When we were kids pancakes for dinner seemed like a fantastic treat, when we got older we realized we only had them when mom was flat broke!
Ours were waffles and pancakes, I ate so many waffles/pancakes for dinner as a kid that I couldn't stand them until just recently in the past couple of years.