"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-03-2012, 04:05 AM   #1
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Not tonight Josephine!!

ok,so we all love food & cooking(and talking about it!) but,you know when you get in late from work or are just feeling lazy & really want that pasta sauce or curry & can't be bothered making it? who's jar,can or packet have you got in the cupboard for emergencies?
my favs are loyd grossman tomato & roasted garlic/tomato & chilli pasta sauces,his madras & jalfrezi curry sauces & the barts range of thai red/green/yellow curry pastes/sauces.
i like 'em 'cos there are no artificial ingredients,the ingredients are exactly what i would use(if i could find galangal locally) and,if i'm honest,they taste just as good as i make them,with the addition of extra chilli 'cos i like it hot!
what's in YOUR cupboard?
harry

__________________

__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:12 AM   #2
Sous Chef
 
Luca Lazzari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Nonantola, Modena
Posts: 858
No ready sauces for me, Harry, just an assortment of canned food: beans, tuna and mackerel. One of the favorite options for the Italian lazy single male (which I am not; single, I mean) is "insalata tonno fagioli e cipolla". You put canned beans, canned tuna and sliced onions in a bowl, add oil, vinegar and salt and you're ready to eat in 5 minutes.
__________________

__________________
You eat what you are
Luca Lazzari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,193
Brother you know whats in our cupboards better than us.
__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:27 AM   #4
Sous Chef
 
Luca Lazzari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Nonantola, Modena
Posts: 858
By the way, going off-topic, seeing your signature I need to ask: City or United? (Or none of them...)
__________________
You eat what you are
Luca Lazzari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:17 AM   #5
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Lazzari View Post
No ready sauces for me, Harry, just an assortment of canned food: beans, tuna and mackerel. One of the favorite options for the Italian lazy single male (which I am not; single, I mean) is "insalata tonno fagioli e cipolla". You put canned beans, canned tuna and sliced onions in a bowl, add oil, vinegar and salt and you're ready to eat in 5 minutes.
one of my favs too luca,like to zizz it up with black olives or capers,chopped cherry tomatoes & dried chilli flakes.if i'm feeling flush it's a can of ortiz yellowfin!just checked and i've got a can of cannelinni beans & the other stuff in(sadly not ortiz) so that's dinner sorted...thanks for reminding me!
i live alone so the good quality sauces can work out more economical than buying the ingredients from scratch.if i'm entertaining someone at home it's always made from scratch!
city?united? it's neither.....big bro' bolas would(ably assisted by madge) batter me if it was either-gotta be liverpool! rugby(used to play),formula1 & motogp are my sports of choice to watch
harry
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:19 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Brother you know whats in our cupboards better than us.
of course i do big bro',that's why i go to bed after you two!
H
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:29 AM   #7
Sous Chef
 
Luca Lazzari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Nonantola, Modena
Posts: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
one of my favs too luca,like to zizz it up with black olives or capers,chopped cherry tomatoes & dried chilli flakes.if i'm feeling flush it's a can of ortiz yellowfin!just checked and i've got a can of cannelinni beans & the other stuff in(sadly not ortiz) so that's dinner sorted...thanks for reminding me!
Buon appetito
I'm a capers addicted! I try to put them everywhere I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
i live alone so the good quality sauces can work out more economical than buying the ingredients from scratch.if i'm entertaining someone at home it's always made from scratch!
I understand you so well. I was forced to start cooking some years ago, due to health problems, and now I can eat only what I cook from scratch. Nothing fancy, but thanks God Italian cuisine is generally very simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
city?united? it's neither.....big bro' bolas would(ably assisted by madge) batter me if it was either-gotta be liverpool! rugby(used to play),formula1 & motogp are my sports of choice to watch
harry
I know old Bolas. I think one of the first things he asked me when I started posting here was if I was a Milan fan... which I am. By the way, I'm one of the few Italians who like rugby more than football. Never played it, I'm just a TV fan!
__________________
You eat what you are
Luca Lazzari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:54 AM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Lazzari View Post
Buon appetito
I'm a capers addicted! I try to put them everywhere I can.
a world without capers would be a very dull place



I understand you so well. I was forced to start cooking some years ago, due to health problems, and now I can eat only what I cook from scratch. Nothing fancy, but thanks God Italian cuisine is generally very simple.
ok so france is the home of gastronomy but italy is the home of great food!
the best italian restaurants locally have sardinian chefs.bolas & i had a holiday in sardinia many years ago,stayed in stintino but travelled around the island & i have been back since.i can see why their chefs are rated!



I know old Bolas. I think one of the first things he asked me when I started posting here was if I was a Milan fan... which I am. By the way, I'm one of the few Italians who like rugby more than football. Never played it, I'm just a TV fan!
had to give up due to injury.i played hook & kept dislocating my shoulder when the pack collapsed - occupational hazard for hookers(no pun intended princessf!)had an op 35 years ago & am now the proud owner of a left shoulder full of screws & plastic!!
harry
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:06 AM   #9
Sous Chef
 
Luca Lazzari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Nonantola, Modena
Posts: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
had to give up due to injury.i played hook & kept dislocating my shoulder when the pack collapsed - occupational hazard for hookers(no pun intended princessf!)had an op 35 years ago & am now the proud owner of a left shoulder full of screws & plastic!!
harry
Too bad! My father too stopped playing rugby due to a shoulder injury. He still cursed after 30 years every raining day...
__________________
You eat what you are
Luca Lazzari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:19 AM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Lazzari View Post
Too bad! My father too stopped playing rugby due to a shoulder injury. He still cursed after 30 years every raining day...
i can empathise luca,who needs dried seaweed,pine cones & barometers to forecast the weather when your shoulder wrecks everytime a change is on the way........ouch! luckily it's only painful for a couple of days & better than no operation & my shoulder popping every time i sneezed!
have a great,pain free day!
harry
__________________

__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.