Not tonight Josephine!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Cobean

Executive Chef
ok,so we all love food & cooking(and talking about it!) but,you know when you get in late from work or are just feeling lazy & really want that pasta sauce or curry & can't be bothered making it? who's jar,can or packet have you got in the cupboard for emergencies?
my favs are loyd grossman tomato & roasted garlic/tomato & chilli pasta sauces,his madras & jalfrezi curry sauces & the barts range of thai red/green/yellow curry pastes/sauces.
i like 'em 'cos there are no artificial ingredients,the ingredients are exactly what i would use(if i could find galangal locally) and,if i'm honest,they taste just as good as i make them,with the addition of extra chilli 'cos i like it hot:yum:!
what's in YOUR cupboard?
harry

No ready sauces for me, Harry, just an assortment of canned food: beans, tuna and mackerel. One of the favorite options for the Italian lazy single male (which I am not; single, I mean) is "insalata tonno fagioli e cipolla". You put canned beans, canned tuna and sliced onions in a bowl, add oil, vinegar and salt and you're ready to eat in 5 minutes.

No ready sauces for me, Harry, just an assortment of canned food: beans, tuna and mackerel. One of the favorite options for the Italian lazy single male (which I am not; single, I mean) is "insalata tonno fagioli e cipolla". You put canned beans, canned tuna and sliced onions in a bowl, add oil, vinegar and salt and you're ready to eat in 5 minutes.
one of my favs too luca,like to zizz it up with black olives or capers,chopped cherry tomatoes & dried chilli flakes.if i'm feeling flush it's a can of ortiz yellowfin!just checked and i've got a can of cannelinni beans & the other stuff in(sadly not ortiz) so that's dinner sorted...thanks for reminding me!
i live alone so the good quality sauces can work out more economical than buying the ingredients from scratch.if i'm entertaining someone at home;) it's always made from scratch!
city?united? it's neither.....big bro' bolas would(ably assisted by madge) batter me if it was either-gotta be liverpool! rugby(used to play),formula1 & motogp are my sports of choice to watch
harry

one of my favs too luca,like to zizz it up with black olives or capers,chopped cherry tomatoes & dried chilli flakes.if i'm feeling flush it's a can of ortiz yellowfin!just checked and i've got a can of cannelinni beans & the other stuff in(sadly not ortiz) so that's dinner sorted...thanks for reminding me!

Buon appetito :LOL:
I'm a capers addicted! I try to put them everywhere I can.

i live alone so the good quality sauces can work out more economical than buying the ingredients from scratch.if i'm entertaining someone at home;) it's always made from scratch!

I understand you so well. I was forced to start cooking some years ago, due to health problems, and now I can eat only what I cook from scratch. Nothing fancy, but thanks God Italian cuisine is generally very simple.

city?united? it's neither.....big bro' bolas would(ably assisted by madge) batter me if it was either-gotta be liverpool! rugby(used to play),formula1 & motogp are my sports of choice to watch
harry

I know old Bolas. I think one of the first things he asked me when I started posting here was if I was a Milan fan... which I am. By the way, I'm one of the few Italians who like rugby more than football. Never played it, I'm just a TV fan!

Buon appetito :LOL:
I'm a capers addicted! I try to put them everywhere I can.
a world without capers would be a very dull place:yum:

I understand you so well. I was forced to start cooking some years ago, due to health problems, and now I can eat only what I cook from scratch. Nothing fancy, but thanks God Italian cuisine is generally very simple.
ok so france is the home of gastronomy but italy is the home of great food!
the best italian restaurants locally have sardinian chefs.bolas & i had a holiday in sardinia many years ago,stayed in stintino but travelled around the island & i have been back since.i can see why their chefs are rated!

I know old Bolas. I think one of the first things he asked me when I started posting here was if I was a Milan fan... which I am. By the way, I'm one of the few Italians who like rugby more than football. Never played it, I'm just a TV fan!
had to give up due to injury.i played hook & kept dislocating my shoulder when the pack collapsed - occupational hazard for hookers(no pun intended princessf:LOL:!)had an op 35 years ago & am now the proud owner of a left shoulder full of screws & plastic!!
harry

had to give up due to injury.i played hook & kept dislocating my shoulder when the pack collapsed - occupational hazard for hookers(no pun intended princessf:LOL:!)had an op 35 years ago & am now the proud owner of a left shoulder full of screws & plastic!!
harry

Too bad! My father too stopped playing rugby due to a shoulder injury. He still cursed after 30 years every raining day... :neutral:

Too bad! My father too stopped playing rugby due to a shoulder injury. He still cursed after 30 years every raining day... :neutral:
i can empathise luca,who needs dried seaweed,pine cones & barometers to forecast the weather when your shoulder wrecks everytime a change is on the way........ouch! luckily it's only painful for a couple of days & better than no operation & my shoulder popping every time i sneezed!
have a great,pain free day:)!
harry

i can empathise luca,who needs dried seaweed,pine cones & barometers to forecast the weather when your shoulder wrecks everytime a change is on the way........ouch! luckily it's only painful for a couple of days & better than no operation & my shoulder popping every time i sneezed!
have a great,pain free day:)!
harry

Thanks Harry, I'll try my best! :)

Bertolli sauces, usually a couple of choices and Progresso soups. Many different canned beans, canned tuna. I have the freezer stashed with my homemade TV Dinners.

I noticed Harry has admitted to being a hooker in his past...me Dad was one, too...only his involved wool and creating rugs.

Last edited:
Bertolli sauces, usually a couple of choices and Progresso soups. Many different canned beans, canned tuna. I have the freezer stashed with my homemade TV Dinners.

I noticed Harry has admitted to being a hooker in his past...me Dad was one, too...only his involved wool and creating rugs.
hey princess
who said it's in my past,with the uk housing market shot a guy's still gotta make a living;)!
harry

Don´t Cook Tonite, there´s Tapas 100 Metres !

:chef: Harry,

Interesting thread.

Firstly, the 1st choice is to go 100 metres to the Tasca across the street, order wines by the glass and a ración ( platter ) to share; calamari with drizzle of lemon or prawns grilled with evoo and sea salt, or chili peps grilled with sea salt or spicy double fried potatoes called Bravas ( brave ).
Ocotopus salad, we prefer in Galicia ! Ham and charcuterie platter and cheeese.

The in-loft choices:

1. Ventresca jarred in Evoo from the Basque Country Designation of Origin
2. Capers
3. Sundried tomatoes and black Kalamata
4. French Montrachet and Andalusian Herb Goat cheese
5. crackers, bread sticks, crispy whole wheat warm breadç
6. Hummus, always have the ingredients
7. always have My home made jarred Bolognese
8. always have dry pasta and quick fresh pasta
9. freshly grated Reggiano Parmesano and Pecorino Sardo with a Caprese frozen pizza ( a snack with a salad )
10. Japanese Restaurant 2 streets away !
11. Caballa = this is mackeral in Evoo
12. fruit and veggies always have for salad

Both of us eat our main meal for lunch and only at wkends do we formal dine together. We are both working professionals and thus, we prefer to go and have a couple of wines, and a tapa which is gratis with the wines ... Canapés with great toppings and little plates, which is what TAPA IS = A COVER OR A LID ... to keep flies out of the glasses !

Last edited:
Oh Harry, I will be such a disappointment to you. Am common as muck. Give me some beans on toast (Heinz she says, trying to redeem herself), or a poached egg on toast.

Failing that I'll stick me finger in the nutella jar if I'm starvin and lazy.

:chef: Harry,

Interesting thread.

Firstly, the 1st choice is to go 100 metres to the Tasca across the street, order wines by the glass and a ración ( platter ) to share; calamari with drizzle of lemon or prawns grilled with evoo and sea salt, or chili peps grilled with sea salt or spicy double fried potatoes called Bravas ( brave ).
Ocotopus salad, we prefer in Galicia ! Ham and charcuterie platter and cheeese.

The in-loft choices:

1. Ventresca jarred in Evoo from the Basque Country Designation of Origin
2. Capers
3. Sundried tomatoes and black Kalamata
4. French Montrachet and Andalusian Herb Goat cheese
5. crackers, bread sticks, crispy whole wheat warm breadç
6. Hummus, always have the ingredients
7. always have My home made jarred Bolognese
8. always have dry pasta and quick fresh pasta
9. freshly grated Reggiano Parmesano and Pecorino Sardo with a Caprese frozen pizza ( a snack with a salad )
10. Japanese Restaurant 2 streets away !
11. Caballa = this is mackeral in Evoo
12. fruit and veggies always have for salad

Both of us eat our main meal for lunch and only at wkends do we formal dine together. We are both working professionals and thus, we prefer to go and have a couple of wines, and a tapa which is gratis with the wines ... Canapés with great toppings and little plates, which is what TAPA IS = A COVER OR A LID ... to keep flies out of the glasses !
good evening margi
how were the langoustines? mine were delicious:yum:!seems that climate dictates emergency rations...in italy & spain light but intense flavours..beans,fish,cheese & capers in cold & damp uk pies,canned meat,curry sauces et al....i need to move:LOL:!!
harry

Oh Harry, I will be such a disappointment to you. Am common as muck. Give me some beans on toast (Heinz she says, trying to redeem herself), or a poached egg on toast.

Failing that I'll stick me finger in the nutella jar if I'm starvin and lazy.
ah gravy,you could never disappoint & never fail to delight;)!mind you darlin' you are pushin' yer luck a bit with that finger in the nutella jar malarkey:LOL:!
H

We often have a jar or two of "Simply Food" organic pasta sauce. Yummy and all food. For soup, Habitant pea soup.

I like the idea of that tuna salad from tins. It sounds pretty tasty.

Of course there's always a French omelette with cheese. In winter, I often have homemade tourtière in the freezer. We usually have rødkål and pickled beets on hand, and often a jar of cucumber salad.

I usually do a couple of eggs.

Cheese on toast.

Pasta with oil, garlic and hot pepper flakes.

Pasta with butter and grated cheese.

or I stand staring into the fridge for 10 or 15 minutes until a plan comes together in my mind! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom